Profile for hlawton6 > Reviews

"hlawton6"

Dead Man [VHS] [1996]
Dead Man [VHS] [1996]
VHS
Offered by Discountdiscs-UK : Dispatched daily from the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it or loath it?, 11 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Dead Man [VHS] [1996] (VHS Tape)
Having read many reviews, clearly this is a film you either love or loath. Personaly I love it, this is my fourth copy, the others got borrowed! I wanted to add as people appear to have missed the point that there is a very humorous theme to the film. It exploits different film genres, from the 1960's parody of the British northern working class 'James Mason', Blakes arrival at the 'factory' is magical, through to Monty Python. This was never ever a serious film, though it is haunting and hypnotic in places, and how can anyone get bored with that Neil Young soundtrack, which he played live whilst watching the film. It is post modern, post modernism, turn the lights down low, open a few beers, chill and enjoy it for what it is, see it again and you will alomost be watching a different film, and enjoy the parody, it can be hilarious!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon

5.0 out of 5 stars The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time, 11 Oct. 2004
This book has recently been added to the induction of support workers within local social services. Not just because it is an entertaining read, but that it shows incredible insight into the world of autism. I myself have worked intensly with autism for over seven years, and despite my specialist training and experience this book made me aware of issues I had not even thought of. It has also provided many a reflective Ah,I understand why now moments of refection, and improved my communication skills. On top of that it a very good story and unputdownable read. I would recommend any individual who works or lives with learning difficulties/autism to read this book, and any service or agency to have a few copies available to be read by their staff. For me it was a little bit of magic, how did he write it with such understanding, knowledge and empathy.