ARRAY(0xa174c5f4)

Profile for M. R. Jones > Reviews

Content by M. R. Jones

M. R. Jones "harper2007" (Plymouth, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Sordid Lives [2000] [DVD]
Sordid Lives [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Olivia Newton-John
Offered by Gayfilmlover
Price: 4.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Low Budget Hilarity, 16 Mar 2009
This review is from: Sordid Lives [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
I had heard about this film through a friend in the USA, who said that in places it has a continued marathon run every year. I thought `Oh, this must be interesting then if people still flock to see it!'
Well I was right!
This is a piece of pure low budget corny goodness that can be enjoyed without any struggle. Set around the lives of a Texas family this film explores death, addiction, forgiveness and coming out in a comical yet sometimes moving way.
All the actors have a good crack at making this movie special, especially Leslie Jordan as the institutionalised Tammy Wynette fan who goes around dressing and performing like his idol. And the lovely Olivia Newton-John strutting her stuff as an ex-con lesbian and belting out a few tunes. She's never lost it!
Yes it's cheesy, corny and all the other derogatory words I can think off. But it is a lovely film, and it's easy to see why it has become such a cult movie in America. Hey The Rocky Horror Picture Show wasn't a perfect film, but look at the fame that has garnered.

Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World
Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World
by Don Tapscott
Price: 12.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative & Interesting, 15 Mar 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I started reading this book, being a self confessed nerd I thought most of it would be the same old blub about anything.
What I actually discovered was an enjoyable trek through the ins and outs of the IT industry and the future in holds for us.
I passed this onto a friend who has a small business, and she found it highly informative. She is even currently in the process of re-imagining her ICT department to be more user friendly and future proof.
It's laid out pretty well, although when diagrams appear its usually half way through a sentence which throws me off. This can become annoying, and I found myself having to go back to pick up the jist of what I was reading again.
And another small niggle, he continually refers to his earlier book. Now I wouldn't normally have a problem with this, but the book almost strays from selling the subject matter to selling another book.
If you are interested in where the business world is heading this is a great book. If you are a business owner then this could help you finally plan out that IT makeover you've always wanted.

My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD]
My Name Is Bruce [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bruce Campbell
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars B-Movie Madness, 20 Jan 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
How can you not like Bruce Campbell! A man with hundreds of terrible b-movies under his belt.....and proud of it!
And that is basically what this is, a celebration of persona. Pure tacky trash is what this film is! And boy is it good!

The movie tells the story of a group of teenagers (it's always a group of teenagers) who are getting up to no good in a graveyard. One takes an amulet (again....always an amulet), and then hell unfolds. Well the ancient god of the dead....and bean curd....unfolds.
The plucky teen, who is a huge fan of Bruce, finds him and kidnaps him to help his town stop the ancient evil from destroying them all.

It's cheesy! It's cringe worthy! It's.....Bruce Campbell. He really shines in this movie, gladly mocking his life in cinema and attitude to fans.
The budget, although relatively low, is put to very good use with nice sets and inspired special effects.

I will say that if you are not a fan of Bruce Campbell, have never heard of him and have never seen any of his movies then this is not for you. There are too many nods to his career that a newbie might not pick up on. And that's important, because those are some of the funnier bits.
Good picture quality, with 2.0 & 5.1 sound and a commentary track with a few titters in it.

Hail to the King Baby!!!!!!

Terry Turtle Motion-Activated Swearing Gadget
Terry Turtle Motion-Activated Swearing Gadget
Offered by Gadget Grotto
Price: 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Short Lived Joy, 19 Jan 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well......what could I possibly say to convince you to buy this item?

....it's a swearing turtle! I can't think of anything that would make this a must buy, but novelty lovers will snap this up!

The idea is funny, what guy ( or girl :-) ) wouldn't find this funny. The look is brilliant! It looks pretty innocent with it's paranoid eyes.
The execution...well what do you expect. It swears and moves its arms about, and that's about it.

It gets pretty boring, pretty quickly. I must admit that it had me cramping with laughter when I first used it. The voice they gave it is superbly funny and makes it much more enjoyable.
But to be honest, it doesn't take long for you to get bored with swearing. I think I might leave it out for when the 'older' relatives come around, but other than that....to the cupboard with it!

It's made pretty well. I can't comment to much on durability unless I through it around to see what makes it break. But from the very plastic look/feel of it I would think that hitting the floor accidentally a few times would probably bust it.

Nice novelty item, but the longevity is non-existent.

Busbi BUSCD0001 Point And Shoot Digital Camcorder
Busbi BUSCD0001 Point And Shoot Digital Camcorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Little Gizmo, 7 Jan 2009
To start off let me first say this......this is a BUDGET camera! If you want HD perfection and sound that could put DTS to shame then buy one of the more expensive ones.
If you want a little camera for you children to experiment with, or for sending little messages to people over the internet, then this camera should suffice.

Video quality, as mentioned by many, is adequate but not outstanding. It can be blurry if the light is bad, and if you move it around too much you can't see anything.
You can pan......slowly. I took a nice video of Plymouth waterfront before Christmas and it came out very well.

Sound....is rather disappointing but like I said - BUDGET CAMERA!
It hisses quite a bit depending on location and background noise. I also noticed on mine a repetitive beep noise throughout the video. It was there, but hardly distracting.

You can playback the last video on the camera, or delete the last video on the camera. That's about as much as you can do in terms of file management. But once hooked to your computer its easy as pie.

Installation of the MiniCD was easy with no errors, and comes with a basic video editing software. I found Windows Movie Maker to be much more useful, but each to their own.

Overall a nice little camera that is great for people who aren't trying to be professional High Definition film makers. Don't expect perfection.....perfect your expectations.

News of Paul Temple (BBC Audio)
News of Paul Temple (BBC Audio)
by Francis Durbridge
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, 5 Jan 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I never used to enjoy audio books. I always found that the portrayal by the actor(s) is never the way I picture them, and this plays on my mind throughout the story so I am unable to enjoy it.
Lets just say that as time has gone by, my attitude is changing.
And as my first audio book, this didn't disappoint me in the slightest. I found it gripping and highly enjoyable.
Anthony Head does an admirable job telling the story, although I couldn't help but chuckle every time he performed a female character.
The recording itself is extremely well done, and sounds fantastic. Just what you should expect from a BBC production.
I think I will have to get the others now. Temple is just too tempting!

BaByliss 5720U BEliss 2x Hair Straightening Dryer
BaByliss 5720U BEliss 2x Hair Straightening Dryer

4.0 out of 5 stars Once Mastered....An Invaluable Piece Of Kit, 3 Jan 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now since I don't have long hair, I had to field test this on one of my friends. I gave her the Hairdryer, attachments & instructions and stood back.

The Straightening attachment is simple enough to 'attach' and the settings are simple to change.
Interestingly she mentioned that the numbers printed around the setting knob were actually a little sharp, and caused some discomfort when changing settings.

Like many other reviewers here, it took her a wee while until she understood how to do it correctly, but eventually she was shooting through her hair with ease. And it did straighten it very well, although not quite as neatly as she was used to.

As for the drying capabilities, it's pretty much like most other dryers. It has numerous speed and temperature settings that are easily altered using the sliding buttons. The cool blast button is also a good addition (perfect for locking in certain styles.....ex-hairdresser talking here!)

It's quite light weight which is always a plus in my opinion, perfect for taking travelling.

A nice little dry/straighten set that should suit most occasions.

Power DVD 8 Ultra
Power DVD 8 Ultra

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly Versatile & Powerful, 22 Dec 2008
This review is from: Power DVD 8 Ultra (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using PowerDVD software for a very long time. Ever since the version that was 'bundled' with many various installations of Windows XP it hasn't let me down.

So here I am with version 8 and Windows Vista....and it still doesn't fail me!

Now over the year Cyberlink has been adding many new feature to the software. Some people may consider this 'bloating' but in my opinion it's been constantly improved.
With the software comes a very handy manual that explains the settings that are available and what would be best for which situation.

The MOOVIELive option at first seemed like a bit of a gimmick....which it is really...but a highly addictive one. There is something about organising your DVD collection for the world to see that is highly appealing.
In reality it keeps a library with DVD information (including covers) that can be stored locally in PowerDVD, and online at the MOOVIELive website. For those of us that organise our collections this is a nice extra.

Onto requirements, well video cards anyway: If you have, or plan to get, a Blu-ray drive then you will need a HD video card. (ATI would be x1600 or higher, nVidia would be 7600GT or better).
Now, if you don't have Blu-ray and don't plan on getting it, older DVD compatible video cards should still work. The software still works perfectly well with my ATI x700 card, so should also work well with older nVidia cards also.
If you are unsure, you can download a trial version from the Cyberlink website before you buy to test it out.

For me, this is the best DVD playback software available.

Bugz :Contact (Book Zero): 1
Bugz :Contact (Book Zero): 1
by David Jackson
Price: 16.84

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninteresting Pap, 19 Dec 2008
I really thought I would enjoy this book, I was extremely disappointed!

The idea of super tiny civilisations running rampant really struck an interest in me, with it being the first chapter.
Moving on.....and...well nothing really happens. The book drags on and on trying it's best to remain interesting but fails miserably every time.
The use of CERN was admittedly a clever idea, since very few people wouldn't have heard of it when the papers said 'The World Will End'.

So why two stars and not one? The look of the thing that's why! The book looks stunning, with it's lush cover beautifully illustrated innards earning the extra star.

Looks good on the shelf, but tear the pages out....you won't miss them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2008 10:11 PM GMT

Braun Series 7 790cc Clean & Renew System Electric Rechargeable Male Foil Shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, 16 Dec 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had extremely high expectations for this shaver, and I'm sad to say that it has slightly disappointed me.
I am used to having a wet shave, but continually have irritation. After the write up stating its "Vibration" technology that would raise stubborn hairs etc, and reducing irritation I thought BINGO!

Well.....after using it for the first time and finding that even after going over one spot 5 times and still having a lot of hair there I felt like giving up. And I don't really have that much of a beard.
I continued though and eventually it did remove all of the hair, and it didn't cause any 'significant' irritation, but the time it took was very disappointing.
I will admit that it did feel pretty smooth to me, so that will go in its favour.
The noise of the thing wasn't that much of a problem. I have electric toothbrushes that are just as, if not more noisy.

The dock station is superb, giving me an exact understanding of how unclean the shaver is and the required cleaning. And the charging time was very good.

I would have loved to give this shaver a better score, hey the price should have supplied that, but with the few niggling problems I have it will just miss the top mark.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16