Profile for Jay79 > Reviews

Banged Up Abroad: Hellhole: Our Fight to Survive South America's Deadliest Jail
by James Miles
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome!, 29 Jun 2012
I don't get to read much but when I do it's great to come across a gem like this.
The events that unfolded are explained with detail but simply put across. You can actually visualise everything that is happening much like "The Guv'nor".
It reminds me of the movie Midnight Express but what these lads went through seems a thousand times worse. This would make a great screenplay itself, easily adaptable as a movie.
I read over a hundred pages straight off, just couldn't put it down only did because I had things to do.
Give this a go it's a real eye opener.

Transit [DVD]
Transit [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jim Caviezel
Price: 3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars solid thriller, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Transit [DVD] (DVD)
I wasn't expecting much settling down to watch this but was pleasantly surprised.
The story is simple, thieves steal 4 million dollars and want to escape across the boarder.
knowing they will be found with the loot they plant it amongst bags which belong to a family who are going away on a camping trip.
Of course they want the bag back so they intensely pursue the innocent family with violence and action along the way.
The movie swiftly moves along at a good pace with no boring bits atall and there are a couple of twists with characters I didn't see coming.
I was easily kept until the end with a decent simple storyline, overall good acting and well done action/chase scenes. The family is likeable and I couldn't help rooting for them.
No ground breaking stuff here but this was a small budget ride which succeeds in entertaining without having to think too much

Dragon Eyes [DVD]
Dragon Eyes [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cung Le
Offered by filmrollen
Price: 2.15

3.0 out of 5 stars not too bad, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Dragon Eyes [DVD] (DVD)
well I've just watched this and while I was actually now dreading it from all the negative reviews I wasn't actually let down atall.
I expected hardly any jcvd, thin plot and action and that's what I got.
I thought there were some funny moments (the scene with the character of Beech had me chuckling) and the fight scenes looked really good, some complained about the slow motion but i thought it served well to show how brutal the hits were.
The sepia like colour was annoying to begin with but then it changes later in the movie so that didn't matter too much.
I didn't have the gripes that some did about gang members teaming up with Cung, he had gained their respect. Ok highly unlikely in real life as a real gang would have come back later and shot him dead but hey its just a movie.
I liked the jcvd training scenes but there could have been more, a big fight in the prison for him would have been great.
He really suited this part and I actually think he would do well as the mentor in a new martial arts movie, his moves and kicks looked as good as ever. The audio was a little quiet in these parts and was quite hard to hear what jcvd was saying but there is subtitles or even the volume button.
Cung wasn't as bad as was made out, he was like a quiet assassin, no nonsense man of few words, maybe the odd funny quip would have made him more appealing but in the action/fighting stakes he gets the job done.
I didn't find Peter Weller as over the top as I was led to believe, he's actually quite entertaining and did a decent job.
Maybe there could have been one or two more action scenes overall but what we have is pretty brutal and heavy hitting, no annoying cgi blood popped up or people getting hit 20 times and still standing.
I would watch this again maybe not too soon, it's not great but it's good enough for a night in with a beer and a pizza.

Drive [DVD]
Drive [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling
Price: 3.00

3.0 out of 5 stars very overhyped, 25 Feb 2012
This review is from: Drive [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this due to the high ratings on here and imdb but unfortunately I was not impressed like I expected.
Nothing eventful really happens until the last half hour but even then the action is sub par. The driving scenes were pretty good but nowhere near great and totally forgettable.
The movie tries to be stylish with the 80's feel and music and succeeds somewhat on that front, however things never rise above ok.
It kept me to the end but only because I was expecting something amazing to happen and it just doesn't.
A weak plot and storyline and not alot of acting because of minimal dialogue easily make this the most hyped up movie this year along with the paranormal activity trilogy.
A shame, I really wanted to love this but I will never watch it again.

Stake Land (Double-Disc Edition) [DVD]
Stake Land (Double-Disc Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Connor Paolo
Price: 5.26

3.0 out of 5 stars falls short, 22 Feb 2012
Stake land is a pretty good take on the apocalypse genre with good acting throughout while using a small budget.
The atmosphere is good and the pace is pretty decent while the plot has been seen a hundred times before.
That being said the movie fails to rise above just good, it has no outstanding scenes and falls short of becoming gripping.
Honestly it feels like an average episode of say something like the walking dead but whereas there you get to know the characters really well this is almost like you have started watching a few episodes in.
By the end although a sequel could be spawned because it feels unfinished it's not riveting enough to want to see anymore of this journey.
Not a bad effort overall.

Bonded By Blood [DVD]
Bonded By Blood [DVD]
Dvd ~ Terry Stone
Offered by davidc1971
Price: 5.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Kept me to the end, 21 Sep 2011
This review is from: Bonded By Blood [DVD] (DVD)
I hadn't actually heard of this movie and stumbled upon it searching on here so had no expectations for it atall.
Have to say me and the wife both enjoyed it and it entertained until the end.
The language is terrible but it really doesn't bother us it's just reality.
The storyline is good, a slightly different take on the events leading up to the murders than ROTFS. We actually see the planning of the event which is cool.
The acting was mostly good all round, a couple of the female characters were slightly weak in moments but not bad.
It's very violent, gritty, moves along at fast pace and there are no boring slow bits which is a bonus.
I'd rate Rise of the Footsoldier as the best of the movies about the range rover murders with this a close second and essex boys 3rd as all the characters were entirely fictional.
A good solid effort all round.

The Veteran [DVD]
The Veteran [DVD]
Dvd ~ Toby Kebbell
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 2.49

2.0 out of 5 stars just ok, 17 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Veteran [DVD] (DVD)
I decided to watch this fim based on all the great reviews here but have to say I was left pretty disappointed.
It's been drawn into comparison with Harry Brown which in my opinion is only similar by the council estate. The yobs and their culture are hardly a feature in this film.
There is a good atmosphere and soundtrack but the whole film is mostly uneventful. There is 2 fights both over in under a minute and the only action sequence though shot well and actually very realistic is over in about 5 and right at the end.
The acting is good throughout but the storyline is confusing and it seems to jump from one an the start to another pretty soon, maybe it just wasn't engaging enough.
I love gritty brit thrillers and I'm afraid this was neither thrilling or terryfing as the cover claims.
Ok if you catch it on tv and nothing else is on.

Killer Bitch [DVD]
Killer Bitch [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alex Reid
Offered by Beyond Electronics UK
Price: 9.98

1.0 out of 5 stars one of the worst ever, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: Killer Bitch [DVD] (DVD)
Easily one of the worst movie experiences ever, so bad you have to see it to believe it.
The main female character is possibly the worst actress ever, everyone seems like they are reading their lines for the first time off of the script and actually not one person in the film can act.
The camera work is like a 10 year old filmed it, the fight scenes are laughable, the story is terrible and it honestly can't get much worse than this.