Profile for Graeme McIver > Reviews

Content by Graeme McIver

Graeme McIver

Guitar Basics: (Book/ECD) (Faber Edition)
Guitar Basics: (Book/ECD) (Faber Edition)
by Nick Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Oct. 2014
item as described, speedily dispatched

32nd® Flip wallet PU leather case cover for Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 + screen protector, cleaning cloth and touch stylus - Purple
Offered by 32ndShop

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Oct. 2014
item as described. speedily dispatched

The Soloist [DVD]
The Soloist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jamie Foxx

3.0 out of 5 stars overall a good film, but, 15 May 2011
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
I've just watched this DVD. Overall I found it a very good film with an unflinching look at the situation people with mental health problems of this type are in. No control over their lives, their thoughts or their feelings. Also the linked problems of homelessness.
After an initial irritation in the first few seconds with an over tricky opening shot of a bicycle ride, I found the camerawork great, reflecting both the confusion of the illness and the music among other facets. The music is great.
At first I had some problem following the dialogue as is mentioned in other reviews. However, since I was watching it with other people who had no problem, I didn't switch the subtitles on, like I do with "The Wire". I soon tuned into it.
The thing that spoilt it for me was a couple of gratuitous cheap shots. In particular a scene depicting atheists as socially inept geeks.
In fact otherwise the religion isn't too obtrusive.