Profile for T Wigley > Reviews

Scarlet Traces: The Great Game
Scarlet Traces: The Great Game
by D'Israeli

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 6 Dec 2011
I'm a big fan of alternate history books and have started to read the Scarlet Traces books as a result.

I enjoyed this book a lot, the story was engaging and well told, though I thought that the final climax was perhaps a little rushed. I also had to reread the final part to fully grasp what was happening. Maybe I'm just out of practice with reading comics, I gave up my 2000AD subscription many years ago.

I also thought the artwork was excellent, lovely clear lines and a great selection of imagined machinery, though I'm not sure how much of an advance legged black cabs would be.

Good book, though in my view not quite up to the standards of Alan Moore and the amazing League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series.

What Does Daddy Do?
What Does Daddy Do?
by Rachel Bright
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 5 Aug 2009
This review is from: What Does Daddy Do? (Paperback)
What a wonderful book. The illustrations are beautiful and there's so much detail in every page.

Highly recommended.

Tom

Brewer's Rogues, Villains and Eccentrics
Brewer's Rogues, Villains and Eccentrics
by William Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars How Life Should be Lived, 19 Jun 2003
A brilliant reference work, great fun to dip into now and then. I particularly liked the endless tales of dissolute royal living which makes the current lot seem extremely dull.

The White Rock A Story of Exploration in the Inca Heartland
The White Rock A Story of Exploration in the Inca Heartland
by Hugh Thomson

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 16 Jan 2002
This book is an extremely intelligent discussion of the Incas and the tantilising traces which they have left us. Compared to much of the fantastic theorising which surrounds the Incas and their monuments this book is lucid and sensible. Thomson's theories are believable and offer a fine explanation for many of the mysteries we are left with. His thoughts on Machu Pitchu are particularly interesting.

The Waste Land
The Waste Land
by Martin Rowson

4.0 out of 5 stars a disrespectful take on T. S. Eliot's The Wasteland, 4 Jun 2000
This review is from: The Waste Land (Paperback)
If you, as I am, are convinced that Eliot is wrong in his endlessly negative and despairing view of the human condition then read this book. Taking as a starting point a healthy disrespect for 'The Wasteland' Rowson pokes fun at the poem by rewriting it as a sort of noir thriller in the tradition of Philip Marlowe.
Eliot is pompous, dense and inherently wrong. This version is the antidote.