Profile for Kerry > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Where Have All The Cowboys Gone
Where Have All The Cowboys Gone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great song and a beautiful voice, 17 Oct 2014
I love this song! Paula Cole has a beautiful voice, which 'fits' this style of song perfectly. The lyrics too are very clever - "Where is my John Wayne/Where is My prairie song/Where is my happy ending/Where have all the cowboys gone?" Later verses/choruses also make reference to the Lone Ranger ("Where is my lonely ranger?") and the 'Marlboro Man' ("Where is my Marlboro Man?") - bringing to mind the classic Western and the cowboy who's the hero of the piece and saves the lady - where have all the cowboys gone? The only slight negative about this recording is that it sounds as though it's a live recording. In quiet sections of the song, particularly at the start of it, there sounds to be some audience noise. The song sounds awesome through headphones/earphones though. Every guitar chord can be heard, every word of the lyrics. The stereo effect is amazing.

Contigo West Loop Autoseal Travel Mug - 470 ml - Blue
Contigo West Loop Autoseal Travel Mug - 470 ml - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars So fab I'm ordering another one!, 20 April 2014
I bought one of these as a gift for my mum for Christmas, and she loves it! (particularly as it's green, her favourite colour) She's tried various travel mugs in the past, but all have either spilled or leaked. She runs a weekly charity bookstall at our local hospital, and apart from getting herself to the hospital early to set the stall up, she's often got a few boxes of books to take with her, as well as a pile of publicity materials, leaflets, etc., so her coffee, which she makes just before she leaves, gets balanced precariously on her lap, and with this Contigo travel mug she arrives at the hospital after the short car journey, thankfully not wearing most of her coffee.

Depending on what volunteers she has available and what time they can get there for, she often has to set the stall up herself, and for the first hour of trading she can be working on her own. Hospital staff in nearby offices very kindly often make drinks for my mum and the other volunteers in their quiet spells. If the stall's busy and my mum's on her own though, she can't leave the stall to ask staff to make her a drink, so because she leaves so early to set up the stall, a banana and her Contigo travel mug of coffee is her breakfast. Often, if drinks are left on the table-tops of the stall, particularly if it's busy, drinks can get knocked and spilt, sometimes over the stock. With the Contigo though, if it gets knocked it's not a problem - no spills, no leaks. Sometimes the volunteers put their drinks behind the stall with coats and bags. At times though they can get knocked or spilt, and other inferior travel mugs have been known to roll around the floor behind the stall, leaking their contents as they go. Again, not the Contigo, which no matter how far it's been kicked back and forth, refuses to spill its contents or leak.

The Autoseal, so my mum tells me, means that even if you get pulled away from your coffee* drinking (*other beverages can be used in the Contigo), having to serve hordes of patients who've suddenly materialised from nowhere, when you go back to it, your drink's still lovely and warm. It stays hot/a drinkable warm temperature from very early morning to lunch time, if not a little longer.

I'm now purchasing another one for myself for work.

LATEST NEWS: About a week ago my dad announced that his old flask that he takes up to his allotment with him is leaking, and before you could say 'Contigo Autoseal', my mum's Contigo travel mug was full of coffee, in his rucksack, and off to his allotment he went! As I'm sure you can imagine, my mum is somewhat concerned for the nice shiny un-scratched finish of her Contigo Autoseal, as my dad's gardening rucksack is full of an odd assortment of tools and at times soil and mud covered vegetables.

I think Father's Day may have to come a little early this year!

Skechers 126 056 - Black Size 7 UK
Skechers 126 056 - Black Size 7 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Skechers 126 056 (Apparel)
For many years now I've suffered from severe foot pain due to a congenital back problem (the area of my spine where there's a problem is where the nerve roots that serve the feet are located). Both physiotherapists and podiatrists have advised me that trainers provide the best support and cushioning for my feet, and as a result I've worn trainers only for 5-6 years now.

The nice thing about these Skechers trainers is that they're completely black, so at a glance they don't stand out as being trainers (you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find black trainers without swooshers of colour on them, logos and brand names in very visible places!) As I have to wear trainers all the time, including for work, it's good that they don't stand out as being trainers. Even the laces are black, though at the moment I'm using elasticated laces in a range of colours, so I can use the trainers as slip-ons so I don't have to bend to tie the laces, which I have difficulty doing. My mobility is severely restricted and I can't walk very far at all, even in trainers (we're talking less than 20 metres), but I'm unable to walk in 'ordinary' shoes as they don't have the cushioning on the soles as trainers do.

These Skechers trainers fit well and are cushioned in all the right places, including the tongue. I'd definitely recommend these, and am now a convert to the Skechers brand!

Sanlise(TM) Universal Blue Adjustable Mount Holder Stand Cradle for Notebook/Laptop Magical Portable Stand for Laptop
Offered by Ghope Deal

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks better than it works, 27 Mar 2014
After searching the web for a suitable taptop stand, I finally found this. Actually, it was a toss-up between this and the Lounge-Book stand, and on balance, I'd probably have been better with the other one.
PROs
At first this seemed ideal. The right-angled 'legs' were important for me as there is no room under my armchair to slot anything under. It was easy to put together, and is my favourite blue colour. What's not to love about it?
CONs
The first thing I discovered was that you need strong hands (or a helper with strong hands) to put the stand together. The wing nuts at the joints of the stand need fastening really tightly. Even once fastened tightly though, it doesn't take long before they manage to loosen, and it's very difficult to get them to stay tight enough so that the whole thing doesn't sag and tilt. I've been using the stand for around 2 years now, but most of that time i have to view my laptop screen on a tilt. Getting up from the chair, or sitting down has to be done very carefully so as not to knock the stand and tilt it ever more. Hoovering too anywhere near the stand also has to be done with extreme care so as not to make the tilt worse. On more than one occasion my laptop has slipped dangerously due to the extreme tilt.

Summary: Do yourself a favour and spend a bit more for something that's more stable.

TALA PLASTIC MEASURING SPOONS  SET 6 0/12
TALA PLASTIC MEASURING SPOONS SET 6 0/12
Offered by ViaGenius

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the package, 23 Feb 2013
I've just ordered my 4th set of these Tala measuring spoons, not because there's anything wrong with them, but because they're indispensable. I use them, not for cooking as you'd expect, but for making drinks. I use a stevia-based sweetener, and for stevia-based sweeteners a third of a teaspoon is equivalent to a whole teaspoon of sugar of other sweeteners. This Tala set of measuring spoons is the only set I could find with the vital 1/3 of a teaspoon measuring spoon.

Of the three sets of measuring spoons I've already bought, I have one set at home, one set in my handbag, and the third was bought for a friend. This set is for keeping at work. They avoid drinks made by colleagues that are too strong or too weak, or too sweet or not sweet enough - people's idea of a teaspoon can differ greatly. Some barely fill the spoon, while for others a 'teaspoon' is a mountainous heaped spoonful. Then of course there's the problem of 'teaspoons' of different sizes - these measuring spoons solve all these problems.

Some reviewers have complained about the ring that holds the measuring spoons together coming apart and that spoons can drop off. It's not s problem I've experienced with any of the measuring spoons that I've bought though. The small plastic nub that a small hole in the ring fits onto very occasionally slips, but the gap's not wide enough for spoons to come off, and the ring's fairly substantial and holds its shape well. The spoons have a hole in the end of them to fit on the ring, so if keeping them on the ring's really a problem, you could thread them onto string or something. If the ring coming apart really is a problem, I'd imagine just a small dab of glue on the small plastic fastening nub would solve the problem.

All in all though, a great set of measuring spoons with the full range of measurements you might need for cooking etc., and at a great price.

Dreamland 6946 Thermo Therapy Neck and Back Wrap (discontinued by manufacturer)
Dreamland 6946 Thermo Therapy Neck and Back Wrap (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Practically perfect in every way, 31 Dec 2012
This wrap is by far the best heated wrap that I've used for a long time. The product description says the wrap can be used on various body-parts, but thus far I've only used it on my back/neck. In contrast to most heated wraps, the big selling factor for me was that the wrap covers the shoulders and neck, which was important to me as I've been suffering shoulder and neck pain as well as back pain.

Wearing the wrap is very comfortable. It's lightweight and adjustable for a perfect fit. Moving around with the wrap on is somewhat difficult, tethered to the power cord and plug. Brief journeys away from a stationary position and power source is possible - I found that tucking the plug into my waistband or belt-loops meant I could move around the house and make a drink or answer the phone for example without untangling myself from the wrap. Currently however, I have the wrap attached to a back support in my favourite chair, meaning I still get the heat of the wrap, but also the freedom to get up and move about. Again, like wearing the wrap, the heat continues into the shoulder/neck area, unlike most heat wraps.

The heat of the wrap seems fairly consistent across the wrap. The wrap has three heat settings, which are well defined, and the handset seems solid and well constructed. Moving between the heat levels is easy, with the controller giving a clear 'clunk' when a heat level is selected. On the highest setting, the wrap gets nicely hot, rather than merely warm, for those who need a higher level of heat. This product would be suitable for treating both acute and chronic conditions (though checking with your doctor whether this sort of product is suitable if you've not used one before, or for a new injury/condition might be wise). I find it particularly helpful for treating chronic muscle spasms.

All in all, a great product and a reasonable price. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this heat wrap to anyone considering a heated wrap - definitely my best purchase of 2012, and one I use daily.

HoMedics PM-QUAD Single Quad Massager (Colour Varies)
HoMedics PM-QUAD Single Quad Massager (Colour Varies)

2.0 out of 5 stars Little use, 31 Dec 2012
All in all, of little use. The four 'spheres,' which I had thought would rotate, don't. I guess they could be used for massage, but it would take a fair amount of pressure to be of any benefit for most people I'd guess. The vibrate function too seems to be largely ineffective. Again, the vibrate function combined with movement of the contraption may give some benefit, but once more a fair amount of pressure would be needed.

Not really one of my better buys, and something I couldn't recommend to others.

Truvia 270g 180 serving Tub. Zero Calorie Stevia leaf extract sweetner ideal for diabetic, dieting, vegetatians.
Offered by HDIUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight in gold!, 8 July 2012
For a long time researching sweeteners I've been aware of stevia and its properties, but sadly for many years, while its use in the USA was common, it wasn't available in the UK, its import blocked by the UK government. With the arrival of Truvia and related products made from the stevia leaf though in the UK, finally we get to gain the benefits of stevia.

I've been using this product for a couple of months now, though I didn't buy from Amazon on this occasion (offline in this granular form its price is significantly lower). It's much healthier than artificial sweeteners, and contains none of the chemical nasties that most sweeteners contain, and most importantly doesn't contain aspartame and is completely natural. For a long time I was a devoted user of Splenda, but it too has its detractors, and being derived from sugar (sucralose) it's also got some of the bad points of sugar. One of the things I've recently read about it is that though you save on calories in the sweetener, sucralose does nothing to suppress appetite, or rather doesn't stop the sugar craving, and keeps you wanting sweet things (kind of negating using low calorie sweetener in the first place!). This would seem to fit in with the research I've done previously on blood sugar levels and 'insulin resistance.' Insulin resistance occurs when due to a high sugar diet, the body has to produce more insulin in order to correctly regulate the body's blood sugar levels. Sugar cravings is one of the symptoms that can indicate insulin resistance.

As one of the other reviewers commented, Truvia has a quite distinctive aroma, and taste when used in large quantities. It's a combination of a caramel/vanilla scent/taste. It's not unpleasant, but it doesn't have the same taste as sugar, or traditional sweeteners. Perhaps I notice the taste more because I use quite a lot (the equivalent of 2.5 teaspoons of sugar). Oddly, the taste isn't very strong when a drink's hot, but it seems to intensify as the drink cools. Its flavour is very difficult to describe. It is sweet, but doesn't have the same sickly-sweet taste sugar can have. It's certainly not unpleasant, but it would perhaps come as a bit of a surprise to anyone who's not used Stevia based sweeteners before.

As regards the 'strength' of the product, a third of a teaspoon gives the same sweetness as a teaspoon of sugar, so if you had 1 teaspoon of sugar you'd only need to use a third of a teaspoon of Truvia, and for 2 teaspoons of sugar you'd need two-thirds of a teaspoon of Truvia. All in all, it's a product well worth trying if you are a regular user of sweeteners, and particularly those containing those chemical nasties that we should all avoid. For me, Truvia has been a big success. I've stopped getting the sugar cravings that have been part of my life for many years, and as a result, largely stopped snacking between meals and am slowly losing weight.

Well worth a try!

Pre-Inked Security Stamp
Pre-Inked Security Stamp
Offered by imustbuy

4.0 out of 5 stars A great alternative to shredding, 21 May 2012
In these days where the risk of identity theft is high, this great little stamp that effectively covers personal and sensitive information on documents, saving the hassle, time, and noise of shredding documents. It covers information with a random-looking pattern of letters that really are effective at covering up details. The stamp pad area is a little smaller than I'd like. It could do with being just a little larger to cover addresses in one 'stamp' rather than the two or three it takes to completely obliterate the address, unless it's in a really small type-size, but that's a minor niggle really.

One word of warning though - the ink pad gets dried out really quickly and once the ink starts to dry out, it doesn't cover the details beneath it so well, and it's fairly easy to see the details underneath the stamp. Rather than forking out for a new stamp pad though, which could work out costly in the long-run, get yourself some stamp pad ink to simply refresh the stamp pad instead. I invested in a bottle of Colop ink (other brands of stamp pad ink are available), which at only a few pounds (less than five of them) works out a LOT cheaper than buying a whole replacement ink pad.

Re-inking the ink pad is fairly straightforward. You'll find the ink pad at around the mid-point of the device, just about directly below the 'holding' part of the device in the business end of it. The pad itself has a 'wavy' edging, so it's easy to see which bit it is (and it'll all become a lot clearer when you have the device in your hot little paws (I'll try and upload some photos of the process though next time I need to re-ink the ink pad on mine though). Basically, you need to push the stamp pad on one side so that it'll come out the other side enough for you to pull it out. To be able to do that you need to depress the stamp ever so slightly. It sounds more complicated than it is, and the stamp does come with basic instructions. Once you have the ink pad free of the device it's then a simple matter of strategically aiming a few drops of ink at the pad (you can actually see where the really dry bits are, but I give mine a liberal all-over dose of ink for good measure). Close-up is best, I've found, as it makes it easier to get the ink in the right place without unintentional splashes. Once you've loaded up your ink pad, give it a few seconds to soak in, before sliding it back into place in the device, and then you're good to go again, blotting out personal and sensitive information.

Colop 801 Stamp Pad Ink High Quality Water Based 25 ml Black Ref 55002300
Colop 801 Stamp Pad Ink High Quality Water Based 25 ml Black Ref 55002300

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 21 May 2012
Great value - rather than replace a worn out ink pad, this Colop stamp pad ink refreshes an ink pad (including the small 'replaceable' ink pads in 'self-inking' stamps) at a fraction of the cost of replacing the whole ink pad. A few drops of this ink, and your stamp pad's as good as new. The 'squeezy' bottle makes it really easy to control how much ink you get on your stamp pad. What more is there to say about it? Does exactly what it's supposed to, and is a very good value alternative to buying a whole new stamp pad. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6