Profile for A. Gulliver > Reviews

Content by A. Gulliver

A. Gulliver "absinthe_boy" (Luton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Heathen [180g VINYL]
Heathen [180g VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Bowie's comeback album marked a return to form which sounds ..., 27 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Heathen [180g VINYL] (Vinyl)
Bowie's comeback album marked a return to form which sounds as impressive now as it did 14 years ago.

Circulon Bakeware Rectangular Cake Tin - 9 Inch x 13 Inch
Circulon Bakeware Rectangular Cake Tin - 9 Inch x 13 Inch

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best non stick tins., 3 Feb. 2016
Had this a few years now, fits nicely on the oven rack and like other Circulon products the non stick surface seems to last for ever. Produces an interesting circular pattern on the bottom of Yorkshire puddings but certainly nothing sticks to it! Nice size, good depth for Yorkshires, pies or roast meat/veg. Can't go wrong with Circulon. Compared to oven tins I have used (from big brands to supermarket own label) this is a cut above the rest.

Circulon Bakeware Oven Tray, Large - 10 Inch x 15 Inch
Circulon Bakeware Oven Tray, Large - 10 Inch x 15 Inch

2.0 out of 5 stars Check the width before you buy!, 3 Feb. 2016
Slightly too wide to store in our oven or even use it in the main oven cavity - so it gets stored under the grill where all the non stick has burned off. Still used with tin foil from time to time, but not my favourite Circulon product. I guess you could argue it was my fault for not measuring but we have a regular full size/width oven so didn't expect any issues. Other Circulon products we own have been great.

1 x 4LR44 6 volt (4LR44,A544) (476A, PX28A, A544, V4034PX, 4SR44, PX28) 6v BATTERY
Offered by Fish-4-u

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 3 Feb. 2016
Spare battery for my aging Praktika SLR camera, does tho job and has been in the camera over a year.

Womens Grecian Sleeveless Evening Snake Buckle Maxi Dress Ladies UK Size 16-26[BLUE / BLACK,UK 24-26]

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits as expected, 3 Feb. 2016
Bought this as a Christmas present , the lady concerned wears it quite a lot so I think she likes it! The material isn't very breathable however so perhaps not a dress for hot weather.

How Much Do We Get For this Gig Anyway?: What it's like being in a band
How Much Do We Get For this Gig Anyway?: What it's like being in a band

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun look at the life of a gigging musician in London, 3 Feb. 2016
A slightly irreverent look at what it's like to be a semi-pro musician in the UK in recent years. Fun, informative and true!

Maxell UR90 Audio Tape 90min Blank Media Cassette (5pk)
Maxell UR90 Audio Tape 90min Blank Media Cassette (5pk)
Offered by K.K. Electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Update on my old review - these are actually rather good. Bargain at the price., 3 Feb. 2016
I wrote a review of these a few years ago, when I had tried some for the first time. That review was not complimentary, mostly because I was out of practice recording tapes and was trying to use these in the manner of a premium quality cassette.

If you keep your peak meters at 0dB or thereabouts, adjust your bias a few points to the negative if you are able to, then these are actually quite musical. I've recorded from FM radio, streaming audio, CD, vinyl and even a Sinclair Spectrum.and they're up to the job. Clearly a basic type I cassette is never going to deliver the goods like a type II or IV used to but these UR's are actually pretty sound. I've found mine to be reliable over the course of five years.

The Geese & The Ghost [VINYL]
The Geese & The Ghost [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Review comparing 2015 vinyl with 1977 vinyl, 23 Dec. 2015
I have the original 1977 "Hit & Run" release and the 2015 remaster on vinyl. Which is better? That's tough. The remaster sounds cleaner but there original sounds a little warmer in the bass. Since the original hasn't been available for a long time let's stick with the properties of the reissue.

The music is sublime, Ant's masterpiece. If you're reading this, chances are you have heard it before but if not...think Trespass and Nursery-Cryme era Genesis with a touch of whimsy and an almost Tudor feel. It's still something of an overlooked album as Ant is the often overlooked member of Genesis - both facts being entirely without justification. The record itself is heavy, with the original artwork on the label, inner bag and outer sleeve reproduced beautifully. Only a couple of credits differ from the original to reflect the remaster and the change of record label. The top end is crisper and better defined, with Ant's 12-string almost shimmering at times. Compared to the 1977 release and pre-remaster CDs there is certainly improvement in the clarity without loss of dynamic range. On the final track you can even hear the hiss from the original master tapes!

Lomography - Konstruktor DIY Kit with New Flash
Lomography - Konstruktor DIY Kit with New Flash
Offered by The-Warehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars I am not the world's best engineer by any stretch, 19 Oct. 2015
A friend bought me this for Christmas 2013, knowing that I am a keen photographer and collector of unusual cameras.

I am not the world's best engineer by any stretch, so it took me about three hours to build the camera - the upper estimate in the instructions. The instructions were very good, and I don't remember getting stuck for long with any step. I ended up with a functioning 35mm SLR camera and had fun building it.

Since then I've tried it with various films, from standard 200ASA colour print film to a range of B&W films. The plastic 50mm lens exhibits a bit of vingetting at the edges but is actually capable of producing quite sharp images. With colour film the "Lomo" effect from the lens results in retro looking images with slightly shifted colours. With B&W the camera is capable of producing quite sharp photos close up and dreamy landscapes.

It can be a little difficult to hold it still even with the 1/80s shutter speed. Winding can be a bit unreliable with non-standard distance between the frames causing issues for labs. I tend to scan colour negatives after having a lab process them, and hand process & scan B&W films myself.

The features are pretty basic, a 50mm f10 lens and shutter speed of 1/80s (or B) so you need a sunny day and/or a fast film. The waist level viewfinder means you can hold the camera at waist height for a slightly different view compared to most cameras and that will have an effect on your photos especially if you try street photography.

What you get is a basic but functioning 35mm SLR camera. I believe close-up lenses and a flash are available as accessories. There are some coloured stickers included to "customise" your camera after you've made it. Nearly two years on there's no sign of defects or of any light leaking into the film chamber. It's fun, and actually works. Better than the "Radionic build your own camera" kit I had as a child in the early 80s.

SUMVISION 10000mAh DUAL USB POWER BANK UNIVERSAL BATTERY FOR PHONES and TABLETS
SUMVISION 10000mAh DUAL USB POWER BANK UNIVERSAL BATTERY FOR PHONES and TABLETS
Offered by Box Of Wonders

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable charger, 30 Aug. 2015
Excellent portable charger, I can charge my Galaxy S3 from dead to full three or four times on this. Or charge it and my wife's Note 2 at the same time. Seems to have genuine 10000maH capacity unlike some other products at this price point. Fits OK in the bag I take to work or in a camera bag. Would also fit in a lady's handbag nicely. Has a button you need to press before charging begins thus preventing accidental discharge even when connected to a device.

A friend has had the same power bank for several months with no reduction in performance so far.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5