Profile for Eli > Reviews

The Happiness of Pursuit: Find the Quest that will Bring Purpose to Your Life
The Happiness of Pursuit: Find the Quest that will Bring Purpose to Your Life
by Chris Guillebeau

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome and inspiring book, 25 Mar. 2015
I've dreamed of going on a quest since I was a child, although my dreams in those days usually involved riding off into the sunset on my trusty steed looking for a dragon to slay. This book outlines the essential elements of a quest and shares the incredible stories of those who have undertaken some epic feats. A huge inspiration.

International Mindedness: Global Perspectives for Learners and Educators
International Mindedness: Global Perspectives for Learners and Educators
by Lesley Stagg

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating book for anyone interested in the evolution of education, 25 Mar. 2015
This engaging collection of essays explores an idea which is becoming more and more critical to the future of education - international mindedness. Covering topics such as education as a binding force in society; the arts and humanities; the implementation of international mindedness; and the identification of universal values, this book is an inspiration for all forward-thinking educators.

The Ultimate Guide to Writing and Marketing a Bestselling Book - on a Shoestring Budget
by Dee Blick

5.0 out of 5 stars A total game changer, 5 Feb. 2015
This book is a total game changer. I have just published my first book and started writing my second and this book will be staying within arm's reach.

Dee has a charming conversational style and her advice is clear and, most importantly, actionable. The marketing section of the book is full of easy to manage steps and additional advice from industry experts. The writing section and particularly the chapters on cover design, layouts and content gathering were so useful. I will definitely be using Dee's techniques as I move forward with book two.

I wish I'd had this book a year ago. It would have saved me so much time and energy. I read it in one sitting and my copy is now bristling with post-it notes - always a good sign. Thank you, Dee, for writing the bible of book writing/publishing/marketing!

Influence
Influence
by Chris Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me guessing right to the end, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Influence (Paperback)
This book is a well-crafted blend of gripping crime and fascinating science. Turning our expectation of psychopaths on its head, this fabulous novel weaves its way through a gruesome murder investigation with a cast of highly unusual and three-dimensional characters.

I loved this book - I thought it was clever, quirky and extremely well-written. The psychological bits about the art & science of influence were absolutely riveting and on top of that it was a bloody good murder mystery! It kept me guessing right to the end. Also, I found the murderer & his motive really credible and interesting.

A brilliant book. Buy it, read it - you won't be disappointed!!

Watertight Marketing: Delivering Long-Term Sales Results
Watertight Marketing: Delivering Long-Term Sales Results
by Bryony Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, practical and above all, actionable, 30 Jan. 2014
I am a self-confessed business book junkie. I've read 'em all. And I have to say that Bryony's book is one of the best on the market.

The sheer amount of work which has gone into this book (and the online material which accompanies it) is mind-boggling, and every word helps to move the reader further along on their marketing journey. Bryony's approach is fresh and unique and she delivers the information in such manageable chunks (supported by stacks of real-life case studies as well as the progress of a fictional example company) that it becomes almost effortless to follow her advice.

I love the way she demonstrates that generating awareness and interest in your company, products and services (what most people consider to be marketing) is the LAST thing you need to address when putting together a marketing plan. There is so much more to consider that most marketing manuals don't touch on at all.

Everyone who wants a sustainable, profitable business needs to read this book. It's brilliant. Oh, and it's totally scalable - the principles work just as well for a one man band biz as for a fully-fledged company with dozens of employees.

Soul Trader: Putting the Heart Back into Your Business
Soul Trader: Putting the Heart Back into Your Business

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of little gems, 22 Aug. 2013
Although this book wasn't exactly what I expected, I found some real nuggets of wisdom within it. Ogunlaru's style is conversational and anecdotal which makes the book approachable and friendly and I especially enjoyed his take on 'reframing' selling to make it into a valuable exchange.

Overall, Ogunlaru's book is perfectly suited as an introduction to doing business in a soulful, heart-centred way, probably best for new entrepreneurs, or those completely unfamiliar with this practice. Definitely worth a read.

Pricing for Profit: How to Develop a Powerful Pricing Strategy for Your Business
by Peter Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Just wow., 10 July 2013
I was expecting this to be a great, useful business book (Kogan Page are a fab publisher and their books are usually fantastic). What I wasn't expecting was for it to completely blow my socks off!!

I have to admit, I am not a particularly numerate person and I have struggled with the financial aspects of running a business for many years. This wonderful book has changed all of that. Not only do I now have a clear view of how pricing fits in to my sales and marketing activity so I understand where I've been going wrong; I also now have a simple, step-by-step plan of action for putting it all right! I have never been so excited about sorting out my financials.

What the author does so beautifully is explain everything in clear, simple, jargon-free language, without being at all condescending. I came away feeling like the pricing penny had finally dropped and super inspired to make the necessary changes in my business.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough to anyone who is self-employed or runs any sort of company. It's brilliant.

Valuable Content Marketing: How to Make Quality Content the Key to Your Business Success
by Sonja Jefferson

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for any business, 28 Jan. 2013
This book is amazing and the online resources that accompany it are insanely useful. Sonja and Sharon get their point across in a beautifully light and easy manner and manage to break down a complicated and immense subject into simple, achievable tasks. So many business marketing books are overly complicated, stuffy and boring but not this one! The personality and expertise of the authors is apparent and the beautiful illustrations serve to make this content even more valuable. If you run a business you cannot be without this book.