Profile for W. Stevens > Reviews

Content by W. Stevens

W. Stevens (surrey, England)

Wonder
Wonder
by R J Palacio

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this a book for children?, 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Wonder (Paperback)
I must be a robot. I felt nothing for anyone in this book. It was one cliche after another and at one point I had to check and make sure I didnt pick up a book from the children section at the library. I like books with different points of view, but my gosh they were all so boring. too bad. big yawn from me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2015 3:25 PM BST

Swimming Home
Swimming Home
by Deborah Levy

1.0 out of 5 stars When will I learn?, 17 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Swimming Home (Paperback)
Every time I read a book that mentions the Man Booker prize, I am dissapointed. This was no exception. I think the premise was a good one, but this promising book failed to deliver on every level. Is this a novel, novella or short story? I could barely get a handle on the characters, they were written so thinly. The conversations were mean spirited and not at all realistic. I can't even be bothered to finish this review. read it if you must, but I suggest you save your money and your eyesight for something more worthy. ugh.

Afterwards
Afterwards
by Rosamund Lupton

3.0 out of 5 stars Where was her Editor?, 31 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Afterwards (Paperback)
The only reason I'm giving this book 3 stars is that I have a lot of respect for anyone who can write a book and the premise of the book had incredible promise.
This 450 page book would have been so much better if it had been cut down to a nice, tight, 250 page thriller. I really wonder if this writer has any honest friends or a decent editor in her life.
There are a lot of 5 star reviews so I will leave the outline of the story to those who loved it and just say that if you're the kind of person who really resents getting to the end of a book and thinking, "that was a waste of a great idea" then think twice before wading through this mess.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2012 11:15 PM GMT