Profile for sapphira_brown > Reviews

Life Of Pi
Life Of Pi
by Yann Martel

3.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing something?, 12 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Life Of Pi (Paperback)
I finished this book feeling not inspired, nor exhilirated, nor moved to tears, but a little confused. I had thought, as I was reading it, that something would HAPPEN. Something that WASN'T catching fish to eat or building a raft or distilling sea water etc etc.
But nothing did.
I can see that the narrative is beautiful, the character Pi is complex and interesting blah blah blah, BUT the end of the book was a bit of an anticlimax.
However, it gets three stars because when I am feeling down, I can always say to myself, "Well at least I'm not Pi in that lifeboat!" (Some of the things that happen in there are HORRIFIC.)
Also because it has a pretty cover.

Feather Boy
Feather Boy
by Nicky Singer

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe you people who don't like this book!!!, 21 April 2004
This review is from: Feather Boy (Hardcover)
This book is fantastic. All you people who didn't like it - WHAT ARE YOUON?!?!?! The characters are lovely; Robert Nobel is much nicer than moodyHarry Potter, who just gets on my nerves. The story is compelling - Icouldn't put it down. The TV programme was good too, but nowhere near asgood as the book. This made me laugh, nearly made me cry, and had mescared out of my wits! Personally, I thinks this rocks. I guess you willhave to make up your own mind.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Special Extended DVD Edition) [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Offered by MediaMine

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Feb. 2004
Well yes, this DVD is excellent. I totally loved the extended film (look out for the scene in which Eowyn gives Aragorn some stew - hats off to Viggo Mortensen for a great comic performance! I love you Viggo.) Then of course there were the extras. Ah. What can I say? Except that it seems EVERYONE got injured at some stage during making these films. Sometimes quite comical injuries; eg Viggo Mortensen breaking his toes, and Sean Astin getting his wig pulled off, if you can call that an "injury". But my favourite extra had to be the Director/writer's commentary. HOW unbelievably cool is Peter Jackson, and how talented are the writers, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens?! Amazing.
However, unlike with the Fellowship cast commentary, which had me in hysterics, by the end of the Two Towers, the whole cast were really starting to ANNOY me. (Viggo Mortensen for some reason doesn't take part in cast commetaries, thank goodness.) OH MY GOODNESS. 'Shut up!' I wanted to say! I guess 4 hours of hearing ANYONE talk is just too much. But yeah, Elijah W, Sean A and Andy Serkis were getting annoying with their whole philosophical "I-just-love-the-symbolism" rantings, and Dom M and Billy B were getting just a little TOO, "Yay! It's Merry and Pippin! Aren't they just the most wonderful characters in the whole film?! They should rename the film "The adventures of Merry and Pippin"" etc. I'm sorry. They can be very funny. I just can't hack FOUR HOURS of it.
Still, go buy!

Music From the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Music From the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this soundtrack!, 8 Feb. 2004
You know, I think this might be the best Lord of the Rings soundtrack!!! Isn't that bizarre? I just LOOOOOOOOOOVE Gollum's Song. I like it even better than "Into the West", which everyone seems to accept is one of the best songs in the world. Well Gollum's Song is amazing!!! SO haunting, and it has to be said that Emiliana Torreliane or whatever her name is does have a v unique voice! Oh yeah, and the other tracks on the album are good too. Wicked!!! Go buy!

The Purpose Driven Life : What on Earth Am I Here For?
The Purpose Driven Life : What on Earth Am I Here For?
by Rick Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't want the journey to end!, 8 Feb. 2004
Wow. I am almost at the end of the 40 day "journey" that this book takes you on, and it has changed my life. For the better. It's so damn practical!!! And readable, and just... AMAZING!!! Explains suffering, feeling that God is distant, how to deal with temptation and loneliness, talks about loving other people, etc etc. As the author says over and over again, THIS IS NOT A SELF-HELP BOOK! It is about living selflessly, because you are so sure of God's love for you... oh you'll just have to read it. But I swear that after one of the books chapters, about temptation, I went and told my best friend a lot of stuff that has been bugging me and that I've kept secret for a VERY long time... and I AM SO GLAD. It was just the most liberating thing! Thank you, Rick Warren, and thank you God, for making me unburden my heavy heart! (Is "unburden" a word?)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best film I have ever seen. In my ENTIRE LIFE., 7 Jan. 2004
Words cannot even do justice to the amazingness of this film. Absolutely fantastic. If you liked the first two (and who didn't?) then this will not disappoint. It's the best out of the three!

But why does everyone keep saying that Gollum steals the show? Yes, I agree, he is amazing (give Andy Serkis an oscar) but there are so many amazing characters that he is just one of them. Pippin was my favourite character, because he was so CUTE. And he sang a song, which was extremely good and my fave part of the movie. But I also loved Sam and Frodo. Sean Astin deserves an oscar too. And Elijah Wood is perfect in the part of Frodo - I didn't like Frodo in the 1st and 2nd films as he was too moany, but he was amazingly brave in this film.
There was a lot of crying. I think it's easier to count the characters who DIDN'T cry than the ones who did. Luckily all the crying was so cute that it added emotion to the film. Esp. Faramir, who cried because his b*tch-dad doesn't love him. Bless you!!! I think the one exception was Arwen, who just needs to get a grip. You're going out with Aragorn! That should be enough to make ANYONE stop crying.
Yes, Aragorn was incredibly cool. He delivered some wicked kick-*rse speeches. The visual effects of the film were quite gob-smacking, the battles were gory and stressful, and Shelob the big spider was absolutely terrifying. I cannot criticise this film.

Oriel's Diary: An Archangel's Account of the Life of Jesus
Oriel's Diary: An Archangel's Account of the Life of Jesus
by Robert Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 17 Dec. 2003
you should DEFINITELY purchase this book! It is one of the best books I have ever read, in terms of characters, plot, quality of writing, etc. Oriel, the archangel who narrates the book is so funny, though Jesus was my fave character, because He is cool and passionate, and so Godly yet so human at the same time! It's a really hard concept to understand, but Harrison puts it across crystal clear.
I could not put this book down. I now want all my friends to read it. You don't have to be all religiony and Christiany to enjoy it, just read it because it's funny and sad and totally totally gripping. It'll make you laugh and it'll make you cry

The Prince Of Egypt [VHS] [1998]
The Prince Of Egypt [VHS] [1998]
VHS
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk

5.0 out of 5 stars anyone who does not give this 5 stars is a freak, 17 Dec. 2003
We've watched this film uncountable times in RE lessons, and I am swept away by it every time. Each time I see it I love it even more! This is a way powerful film. The animation is amazing; but the songs are the best bit. They are songs that are FULL of emotion! The opening scene makes me want to cry, as does the closing scene. In fact, the whole film has me sobbing my eyes out.
I have only one critism; Moses' adoptive mum looks exactly the same after Moses is grown up than she did all those years ago when she found him as a baby. Surely she would have aged just a LITTLE bit?
Other than that, a truly excellent film.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2008 6:16 PM BST