Profile for Mr. D. M. Pimm > Reviews

Guild Wars 2 Signature Series Guide
Guild Wars 2 Signature Series Guide
by BradyGames

3.0 out of 5 stars An Introduction, 28 Sep 2012
I guess individual receptions to this guide are informed by expectations.
I was hoping for something encyclopaedic; but, ultimately, for the level 80s, this guide isn't much more than a very pretty trip down memory lane.
Sure, everything you need is freely available online, but wouldn't it be nice to have it all together in a handy guide next to your keyboard (or bed!)?
I would have loved a comprehensive guide to finding every Ranger pet, and a walkthrough of the vistas and jumping puzzles, and a few pages on recipes and crafting at the mystic forge, and a guide to crafting every legendary, and a little bit on dragons and spawn rates and some info on the champions and maybe even some suggested strategies, and details of karma merchants and their gear and gear stats - but none of this stuff is covered.
Maybe the nature of a world which is subject to inexorable balancing and evolution precludes the possibility of a 'finished' guide?

Provided you are not expecting anything other than a gorgeous and perfunctory introduction to this amazing world, and you don't mind the thin pages, this is a wonderful buy.

Fly From Here
Fly From Here
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 14.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Slippers, 4 Aug 2011
This review is from: Fly From Here (Audio CD)
No surprise to see the whole spectrum of reviews here.
This has to be, for me, the most peculiar Yes album to date.
I hated it, but I felt some kind of debt to the group and persevered. I couldn't past the feeling that these tracks had been exhumed from the slush pile: the opening track seemed to be aspiring to be 'Machine Messiah'; and 'Madman at the Screens' appeared to be 'Roundabout's' least attractive child.
Five listens later and the preconceptions and preoccupations began to give way to a familiarity, and I could glimpse something special beneath the worn varnish.
I can't imagine how hard it must be to please an audience who have been treated to 'Close to the Edge' and 'Drama' and any other number of truly classic albums. I can't find anything classic here, but if you're content with a pair of comfortable slippers, 'Fly From Here' should keep you going for a while. And Benoit is a cracking Anderson.

Ghost
Ghost
Price: 14.00

4.0 out of 5 stars An Unexpected Grower, 3 Aug 2011
This review is from: Ghost (Audio CD)
Well yes, these tracks wouldn't seem out of place on the 'easy listening' farm, and I only chanced upon Ghost thanks to the impersonal spotify updates...
But there's something deeply sophisticated buried in those melodies, and an expanse of musical colours that might at any moment put one in mind of David Gilmour, or The Cocteaus, or David Arkenstone, or even The Flaming Lips.
Certainly one of the oddest discoveries I've made of the year so far, and one that I've yet to tire of.

Beyond Photography: Encounters with Orbs, Angels and Light Forms
Beyond Photography: Encounters with Orbs, Angels and Light Forms
by John Pickering
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Bravo!, 7 April 2011
John is crazy.
The typical down-to-earth, pragmatic, and rational individual knows to keep her experience/s of 'luminosities' to herself. On the one side are the debunkers with their catch-all pareidolia/lens flare/dust/weather phenomena/hypnagogia assertions; on the other side are the 'life after death' evangelists.
Crazy John takes the path through the middle. Now that is crazy!

He's your average crazy. His grammar is dodgy; his punctuation is lousy. Some sentences are half-finished, and some aren't even sentences. He embellishes chapters with rhetoric and circular arguments and throwaway quotations. He doesn't know much about much. He does himself, and his subject matter, no favours.
And this is his appeal.

I bought this book for my art team. I began skimming through, ready to cast it aside at the slightest suggestion of crystals or healing energies or voices from another dimension. I was still reading three hours later.

Crazy average John and his crazy average partner Katie captured a blob of light on camera and thought nothing of it. Then they caught some more and their combined curiosity was piqued. They got their chums involved too. They discovered a worldwide community of crazies with their photographs and classifications. They studied, and learned about light frequencies and electromagnetism and quantum entanglement and bio-photons.
They're like you and I, but a bit braver, and possibly with more spare time on their hands.

Like a great work of fiction, their 'investigations' stir up surprising developments, ratcheting in small and barely noticeable increments, until the reader finds herself embroiled in this world; and John and Katie's conclusions - as far-fetched as they might have initially seemed - suddenly resonate in a new context.

I say Bravo! to John and Katie. One day, somebody will figure out what these 'luminosities' are. The truth might be exciting; it might equally be disappointing. In the meantime, for us average and balanced folks who are content to take the path through the middle and are perfectly fine with 'luminosities', it's fun poking at them with John and Katie's stick.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD] [2006]
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Mamoru Hosoda
Price: 4.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfounded Concerns, 1 Dec 2009
So my ten-year-old son and I have worked our way through the Studio Ghibli movies and loved every one. So what to buy for his birthday?
Having read the reviews for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I figured it had to be worth a look.
And I wasn't mistaken: we were captivated! I was a little concerned that the plot might be too convoluted, or the themes too adult for my son, but I needn't have worried. (But for two mentions of 'j*rking off', it's entirely suitable for the younger viewer.)
My son immediately gave the movie ten out of ten, I had to pretend I had something in my eye, and we watched it again the following evening.
And now on to the Christmas shopping!

Doctor Who - The Green Death [DVD] [1973]
Doctor Who - The Green Death [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ Jon Pertwee
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.06

1.0 out of 5 stars not for the young, 22 Nov 2007
Just a word of warning:
I bought this for my eight-year-old son and it had a soporific effect on him. Scant action, a distinct absence of cool monsters, and a dated and coy story, all buttered laboriously over six parts, ensure that this is not an ideal present for kids. Even big maggots couldn't revive the spark of interest that guttered and died fifteen minutes in.
If you're looking for a classic Doctor Who for the young, I'd recommend Ark in Space or the disturbingly camp City of Death, with its Keystone Cops soundtrack and curious introduction to art history.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2013 3:26 PM BST

Dave Allen: The Biography
Dave Allen: The Biography
by Carolyn Soutar

5.0 out of 5 stars a love of stories, 12 Dec 2005
The man who loved to tell stories would be proud of Carolyn's virtuosic reportage: she weaves the suspense and drama and character and detail with a skill that easily matches that of the best contemporary biographers. I was instantly hooked and drawn into the curious relationship that grew between Dave and Carolyn on tour - a relationship steeped in a pathos that would continue through the pages to the mesmerising curtain down.
To evoke such strong emotional responses through his performances (whatever they might be) was Dave's talent; to understand his drive and determination and to communicate these with such passion and empathy is Carolyn's.
For one who barely remembers the great man, this is a thoroughly welcome and enjoyable testament to a remarkable life. I would recommend this book to those who wish to remember the great man, and to those who simply enjoy beautifully crafted character studies.