Profile for Anonymous > Reviews

Content by Anonymous

Anonymous

Drum Solos and Fill-Ins for the Progressive Drummer, Bk 1 (Ted Reed Publications)
by Ted Reed

5.0 out of 5 stars Very challenging, 9 Feb. 2011
This book contains forty three drum solos and some fills. The solos are mainly four bar jazz solos, but some are longer. These solos are challenging, employing many of the main rudiments in a musical manner, and getting them up to the tempo of the metronome marking can be extremely difficult. Because these solos are so technically difficult, this book is an excellent way to improve your drumset technique, which is an aspect of drumming that we just cannot cover on the practice pad. Don't expect to get through this book quickly. It takes time and practice to get these solos up to speed. Not an easy ride, but practicing these solos has definitely increased my fluidity around the kit, and increased my vocabulary. Definitely worth a look if you are prepared to put in some work.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2014 11:15 PM BST

Merriweather Post Pavilion
Merriweather Post Pavilion

3.0 out of 5 stars Well it isn't bad I guess, 23 Oct. 2010
This album is not bad but I don't see what the fuss is about. It is hardly cutting edge. It basically sounds like the Beatles. We got past this stage years ago. If you want cutting edge music get some of the later Scott Walker stuff, like 'Tilt' or 'The Drift'. Those two albums are both lightyears ahead of this. This already happened in the sixties. Get over it.

Sennheiser HD 202 Closed Back On-Ear Stereo Headphone
Sennheiser HD 202 Closed Back On-Ear Stereo Headphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Roland TD-4K electronic drums., 27 Sept. 2010
I bought a pair of these back in January and they have been plugged into my computer ever since. Until now I have been using them to listen to music and to watch films on my computer, but I recently bought a Roland TD-4K elctronic drum kit, and with these plugged in I can play all day and night if I like without disturbing the neighbours. Now I mainly just use my acoustic drums for band practices and gigs, and the electronic kit for practice at home and for teaching. The Roland sounds amazing through these and I have just ordered another pair so I don't have to keep moving them between the computer and the drums. If you need a good pair of headphones for your electronic drums you probably couldn't do much better at this price point.

A Studio Chronicle 1940-1948
A Studio Chronicle 1940-1948

5.0 out of 5 stars These recordings defined the possible directions of modern music, 30 April 2010
It is hard to believe that there is not a review of this excellent box already here. I guess if you are looking at this item you probably don't need to be told how important Charlie Parker is. So what I will say instead, is that this is an excellent collection of his studio recordings. Some collections are more complete, but this is the best overview of his studio work. It contains (I think) everything you get on the Dial and Savoy master takes compilations, but the remastering sounds better on this collection to my ear. It is also a fraction of the price. You also get, on the first two discs, some early recordings with Bird as sideman in various groups, including on disc 2 many recordings of Dizzy Gillespie led groups.

Like I said, this set is not a complete set of recordings, but is the best selection available, and the omissions are not anything to lose sleep over.

Very happy.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2011 8:54 AM BST