Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now
Profile for Rimmer72 > Reviews

Content by Rimmer72

Rimmer72

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Earth Defence Force 2025 (PS3)
Earth Defence Force 2025 (PS3)
Offered by Turbotrance

5.0 out of 5 stars The true successor to Global Defence Force, 23 Feb. 2014
This game has come in for some stick by many reviewers, many of whom keep comparing it to the ps3 and Xbox versions of the game. Before them there was Global Defence Force on the ps2, a budget title with very low graphics, pop up, glitches and lag. But it was sooooo much fun and had so many levels. It was so cheesy and yet the opposite of all that has become tedious in modern gaming. Every new iteration of Call of Duty was a step further into mediocrity. GDF was never going to be a AAA title like that and never tried to be it was just fun. Killing giant insects, robots and behemoth machinery was a reminder of everything that games are at their core and what got me into gaming decades ago.

I eagerly bought the sequels that arrived on the ps3 and Xbox 360 bit they both seemed different games. They were more polished but more clinical and less fun. Earth Defence Force 2025 is exactly what I had hoped it would be. It's just like playing GDF again. Okay I had hoped for better graphics as they aren't much better than ps2 and the price tag should really be more like £15 but I was willing to pay full whack just to get the fun back. My ps2 is long gone so I have no real way to pay GDF anymore and I am willing to forgive the issues just to be able to play this once more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2014 10:57 PM GMT

Sony PS4 Console (Black)
Sony PS4 Console (Black)
Offered by ELITEGSM

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, 26 Jan. 2014
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PS4 Console (Black) (Console)
Before I start, let me say this review applies equally to the new Xbox one.
Having received a decent Christmas bonus I bought both consoles. Family tragedies meant ive only been able to sit down and unpack them today having had them since mid December.

Ive had mixed feelings on both machines. Initially I was put off by the sheer weight and size of the xbox and when I unpacked the PS4 it was so much simpler. The xbox took ages to set up where the PS4 was so simple. Two cables and done compared to faffing with the power supply, hdmi in, hdmi out, Kinect etc.

Its a mixed bag. The xbox whilst ugly as sin has a better quality feel to it all where the PS4 seems understated but the xbox is also less impressive in the visual department. The PS4 on the other hand has a such a minimalist approach that I struggled to find settings that were in abundance on the ps3.

Eventually I fired up my first game which was Battlefield 4. Now I know this has had problems, most notably with the online but there was simply no wow factor. it didn't feel like a massive leap forward and I may as well have been playing on PS3. To quote the south park episode where they are on the xbox one "yeah its totslly seamless and the graphics are like 10% better than xbox 360". That sums up how I felt. Nothing to blow my socks off like the last gen move from PS2.

Im sure there are great things to come but if im honest, there is nothing out on either console to warrant your money and I would just stick to last gen for at least another six months! BTW if anyone is in anyway doubting I have these machines and am just trolling I am happy to send you pictures!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2014 6:49 PM BST

Doctor Who - The Time of the Doctor & Other Eleventh Doctor Christmas Specials [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell Matt Smith UPDATED, 25 Dec. 2013
First off this is a bit cheeky getting people to repurchase specials from previous sets. However I will bite because Matt Smiths final performance was truly amazing!

As with many overly ambitious episodes of who, this promised more than it could deliver and although it was good they couldnt find the balance. Either make it longer and make use of the weeping angels and other protagonists more effectively or drop them from the story and then make it flow a bit better.

That gripe should make me drop this to three stars but Matt's final speech had me sitting with a lump in my throat as I remembered all the adventures he had taken us on! There was so much variety. Moffat seemed a bit unsure in places with what to do with the plot he had set up but Matt showed what a truly great actor he is at the end. There was no whining self referential farewell, kicking and screaming like the last doctor. Matt was dignified and his leaving really did feel like it was too soon. Though I thought David Tennant was superb, toward the end his doctor was becoming egotistical and self congratulating. More Russel T Davies fault than Davids but I had had enough. Matt brought an energy and innocence as though the Doctor was literally reborn. I know he has had a few poor episodes but for me he is the best Doctor of any series, classic or new. I wont spoil it if you have yet to view it but the final 10 mins are worth the price of the disc. A fitting end to a great 11th/12th timelord! Thank you Matt for giving me a great few years of adventures in time and space.

UPDATE: I missed a few things. Having gone back and rewatched it I have a greater appreciation of the episode. There are loads of subtle references to this doctors time in the tardis and also previous incarnations. The battle music played during the silence will fall speech is that of the tenth doctors as an example. This is a love letter to all the fans that bothered to follow the doctor through all the ups and downs. It reminds me of Babylon 5 in that you were rewarded for your investment. I'm sorry some don't get it but ultimately I feel appreciated for supporting the eleventh and Ifor the negs out there I can only ask you go back and watch series 5-7 again. If you don't want to do that I understand but base your reviews with that restriction in mind.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2015 1:39 AM GMT

Microsoft Windows 8 Standard 64 bit OEM, WN7-00403, English Version
Microsoft Windows 8 Standard 64 bit OEM, WN7-00403, English Version
Offered by gadgetrepairs

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst os I have ever used, 17 Dec. 2013
There have been some poor operations systems in the past, Vista and ME to name 2 which had their fair share of stability issues. Windows 8 does not suffer from this so much but if you have the slightest clue how to use a PC it is infuriating.

It's not that it's difficult to see what it is doing, it's what it prevents you doing. It's been completely dumbed down and if you use a PC for business or development, nothing is obvious. You now have to search literally for control options, you don't have immediate access to configuration tools and finding your installed programs is now a chore.

Essentially it's like giving a surgeon a set of children's toys to operate with. It's that clumsy. It was designed for a touch interface but developers and businesses will have little use. You can't code php or do excel calculations practically with gestures or touch screens!

My one piece of advice is if you are not using a touch screen and need a PC for work avoid this operating system like the plague. If you can get or have windows 7 I implore you to use that instead.

Xbox One Console with Kinect
Xbox One Console with Kinect
Offered by Cache Media

2.0 out of 5 stars broken, 23 Nov. 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Picked up from game at 5pm and turned on at 6. Won't get past green screen. All leads plugged in OK. Won't recognise input from any controllees . done hard reset. Thanks for nothing MS. Another 30 mile trip to try and replace tomorrow. They had 4 machines on the shelf at time of purchase so will call and ask to swap in the morning. Very cross. More fuel and parking and prob lose my day one edition
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2013 4:51 PM GMT

Pacific Rim [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Pacific Rim [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Idris Elba
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good film at all - bear with me., 21 Nov. 2013
I love my films but of late had trouble settling in to watch them. This week got round to watching Wolverine again (pretty good but not in the same league as the X Men core films) and Pacific Rim. I missed this at the cinema but it got good reviews so I added it to my list.

Where to start? I will begin with the positive - it has excellent special effects. Like Transformers only grittier and less polished (as a combat machine would be if it had been through this). Now the negatives - I know giant robots and lizards are big in Japan (personally i love transformers and even the last Godzilla film wasnt bad) but this had no plot to speak of. I once said Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds End had a plot written on a postage stamp but this one could fit on half that! Its over two hours of giant robots fighting lizards from another dimension. Thats it! Theres the usual end of the world, fighting for survival stuff with a thin back story about previous loss but none of it is explored properly. I didnt really feel like I cared about any of the characters and you could see the story development coming a mile off. What made me sit there wishing for the end was the constant reminding of what was happening as well (as if the audience had an IQ lower than a paving slab!) ie "hes out of oxygen", "They have to blow up <spoiler>". At one point i thought no one in the future could do first aid either. My other half was enjoying it which was really weird because Im generally the one who likes action movies and transformers. Im usually very respectful of other culture (ie I like the last samurai, cine Asia subtitled films, even the samurai references in Wolverine) so I apologise if ive missed something here in the Japanese film legacy, but its the first film ive seen in years that i wanted to finish. It would have been fast forwarded if my other half wasnt in the room.

The dialogue seemed particularly poor and was like something written by a primary school child trying to do a screen play similar to a film they like (speaking from my childhood of trying to write Star Wars type stories).

Im genuinely sorry if anyone disagrees but this is my personal opinion of the film. Ive watched classic Sci Fi like Aliens, Predator, Blade Runner, Terminator 2, Avatar and more recently ive been enjoying the Marvel offerings (tho not perfect they are great fun!). I simply can not put this in the same league. To me this is a rental only film that you may want to watch a second time if you are a fan of the genre. I bought the 3d version but only watched the 2d because my other half cant watch 3d. Sadly I think I may never see the 3d version now, even out of curiosity because its two hours I can use watching something else. Never mind, I hope that Man of Steel is better.

Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
Beyond: Two Souls (PS3)
Offered by Clickforgamesltd

5.0 out of 5 stars What are the critics on about?, 13 Oct. 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Okay a few critics have given this very average scores - for being too similar to the previous games (namely Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit). Ordinarily I give a lot of credibility to reviews as games are expensive, and a turkey does not deserve to do well. On this occasion I must disagree.

Before I start, let me make one thing very clear. This is not a conventional game. If you want complete control, loads of player interaction and lots of fast twitch gaming or online as in Call of Duty, then you need to look elsewhere. I said it in my review for Heavy Rain and the same applies here - this is ultimately an interactive movie for adults or those who value the story over the action.

Beyond is to me, a hybrid of its' two predecessors. The cinematics and drama of Heavy Rain and the supernatural elements of Fahrenheit. The critics have complained that this is too stale in the post 'Last of Us' world. They were happy to heap praise before this though. These are two different games in similar genres. I have always loved Uncharted and the Last of Us is a very good game but I felt that it lacked the emotional punch it has been credited with. It was slower than Uncharted and the in game engine and long chats whilst making your way across the landscape seemed somehow more of a distraction than the plot device they were intended to be.

Beyond is a game, but in the loosest sense. If you've played Heavy Rain then you know exactly what you are getting. You get a degree of player control and have to make a few decisions but really you are along for the ride and just choosing how the story branches out. In any other hands this would be a car crash but Quantic Dream excels at what they do. By reducing the player input it gives you time to absorb the story and characters. Every part of me feels I should complain about this or be outraged but Im not. It works really well and you appreciate it. Ive been completely drawn into the struggle of some of the NPCs and their problems. I dont want to put the game down!

Which brings me on to the cast and the soundtrack. This takes Beyond to another level. The voice acting is superb and the character animations and expressions are very easy to understand and identify with. The soundtrack is like something out of the new batman films (I believe Hans Zimmer is responsible?).

This is a fantastic interactive story that I encourage you to enjoy. It jumps around a bit but you wont forget it.

Doctor Who - The Complete Series 7 [Blu-ray]
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 7 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Its not perfect but you know what..., 5 Sept. 2013
Ive read various criticisms of this series and the Matt Smith/S Moffat era in general. Im afraid that I have to disagree with them. The point is valid that this whole post tennant era has been a rollercoaster of greatness and stupidity but as with life, you remember and take with you the good times. Here is where I choose to differ. The highlights of the Smith and Moffat era are so much better than what has come before that to then whinge about the poorer aspects is churlish. Its like being treated to a 5 star night out and moaning that the taxi was 5 mins late and the show you went to see finished a bit later than planned.

But I digress. The problem is RT Davies brought the show back from a very bad place and just kept building it up and up with Tennant the icing on the cake. But he peaked and there was nowhere left to go. He tried to change it slightly and all we got was self indulgent stories that bordered on ego. The tenth Doctor became a little too arrogant and toward the end a bit whiny. They should have ended the reign before the year of 'Specials' that saw Tennant leave. I was sorry to see him go but I was getting sick of it and that last year seemed tainted.

Matt Smith came in trying to fill some big boots. There was a lot of hit and miss as he and Moffat tried to differentiate themselves from what had come before but to my mind, Smith's inexperience in the role was not evident. He had done his homework and thrown all of himself into it. I have never seen an actor so young being able to portray the age and burden of a timelord who has endured too much. Yet he also bought an energy to the role. This was a character who was old but young, jaded but excitable, kind but dangerous. Smith literally nailed the eccentricity of the Doctor. There have been childish moments but when its mattered, Smith and Moffat have delivered such powerful scenes that all else is forgiven. The Doctors speech to young Amy in the Big Bang, the rings of akhaten, Amy's words at the end of The Angels Take Manhattan - Just a few moments that have brought emotion that most modern Television can only dream of. These are the kinds of motivational concepts that drive people to want to be better and to be more than they are.

Series 7 was more like a series of mini films. The production values were superb and although the Clara episodes seem a bit disjointed it was all enjoyable. The first half was more consistent and I get the feeling the second half had a bigger story arc to tell but there wasnt enough time. Although we are familiar with Clara it feels like we are forced to know her and her impact on the Doctor's life far sooner than we should.

This series is probably one of the best yet but the inconsistencies and the cliffhanger ending are a bit of a let down. That said, I will be really sorry to see Matt Smith go. There is a part of me that considers him the best Doctor (yes I grew up with Tom Baker so thats saying something!). I dont think he was appreciated for what he did. But he will be going out on a high. Just wish I could work out how this ends. Well Done to all involved.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2014 12:01 PM BST

Star Trek (PS3)
Star Trek (PS3)
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Just lazy and should not have seen the light of day., 16 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Star Trek (PS3) (Video Game)
I'm a massive trek fan and love all the films (though ST5 really tests that love) but even I can't forgive this. Maybe it's because I also love action adventure games that I can see where this falls down.

First the good - it's got a good soundtrack borrowed from the new film scores. It's set in the Star Trek universe.

Okay that's all I got.

The bad - graphics are appalling for a game developed near the end of the current console generations lifespan. They border on end of the first Xbox's lifespan. Animations are poor and clunky. AI is terrible. I know graphics are not everything but there is nothing underneath to love either. It's like they found a generic shooter template given to beginner developers and whacked the Star Trek name and skins onto it.

I can't bring myself to play anymore of this and I feel bad as it was a gift from my other half who thought she was doing the right thing giving a Star Trek game to her Star Trek obsessed bloke.

All I can say is I thought Aliens: colonial marines was better than this before they improved it with patches and we all know how rubbish that looked and played out the box.

If you want a good Star Trek game, get a pc that can run older games and get Bridge Commander, sarfleet ommand III and either of the elite force games. They look poor by today's standards but at least the developers understood gameplay back then!

Official Xbox 360 Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures (Xbox 360)
Official Xbox 360 Kinect Sensor with Kinect Adventures (Xbox 360)

2.0 out of 5 stars Overhyped and under developed., 12 April 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
im sure this will offend some but this product was ultimately sold to us on a lie. it's no more useful than anything you can get on the wii but costs more than an entire wii console now the slim has been released. of all the three motion sensing products from Sony, Nintendo and MS this is the least predictable because it is unable to pinpoint accurately where the other two use hardware to identify your position.

we were promised full interaction and facial recognition. we are limited to party games because it makes it easier to predict and control our moves where a proper core game has to understand deeper interaction.

This is just a test for the next xbox but it's an expensive one and I resent being a guinea pig for ms. I am rapidly losing respect for them.

I have hardly used the kinect bundled with my 360 and with the new console due before the year end I doubt it will see any use again. we can kid ourselves as much as we like but a 130 pound toy used once in while is not a sound investment. A year from now these will be clogging car boot sales at £5 each with no new games to support it. On the flip side I've got to congratulate MS for selling a trojan horse to the masses knowing it will not be supported further. Seriously only buy one for £50 max. on thr other hand the device has many other uses if you can work out how to use it with a pc. As a console addition its a failure. As a device opened up to the public it has some promise for a couple of years yet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6