Profile for LauraC > Reviews

Content by LauraC

LauraC

Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop: And Other Practical Advice in Our Campaign Against the Fairy Kingdom
by Reginald Bakeley Foreword by Clint Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars SAY NO TO GNOMING!!!, 18 April 2013
I've just finished reading 'Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop' and not a moment too soon! Being a Faery Folklorist and wanderer/explorer of fairy sites, I read this book hoping to pick up a tip or two on how to deal with troublesome pixies and stubborn urisks, and to educate myself on the latest scientific research into the curing of elf shot, but this book has opened my eyes to a world of dangers I'm ashamed to say I was previously thoroughly unprepared for. Now I can confidently wander through woods without a care in the world, safe in the knowledge that should I meet a grumpy troll I have a list of riddles at the ready, and should I have the good fortune of stumbling across a herd of fairy cattle then I have my converted dolls house all prepared and my fairy cattle ranch will be open for business!

However the author should be aware that not all of us agree with the sport of gnome hunting, and may I urge others who disagree with this barbaric sport to contact their local gnome preservation society. SAY NO TO GNOMING!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2014 10:33 PM GMT

American Evil [DVD]
American Evil [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bradley Cooper
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a horror film, but excellent film!, 14 Oct. 2012
This review is from: American Evil [DVD] (DVD)
I definitely get the feeling that whoever designed the DVD cover and wrote the blurb on the back has never watched the movie! Don't be mislead into thinking this is your typical horror movie, it's not. I bought it expecting a horror movie and instead found it to be an emotionally touching yet disturbing film based on the true story of how Native Americans were mistreated in boarding schools. It did remind me of a TV drama and some of the acting wasn't amazing, but it's a fascinating film and I admire the cast and crew for bringing such a horrible part of American history to the public eye.

The Mystery Animals of the British Isles: Northumberland and Tyneside
The Mystery Animals of the British Isles: Northumberland and Tyneside
by Michael J. Hallowell

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but lacks research, 29 Sept. 2012
I bought this book in the hopes of learning about mystery animals in Northumberland, and although I found the book to be an entertaining read I found it to be very frustrating from a research point of view.

The author seems to have a habit of writing "People believe...", "Most people think...", "A local says....", etc without giving any sources to back up his claims, leaving the reader to doubt how many of the stories have any truth behind them. The chapter on the Dolly Pit Hell Hounds is chilling and fascinating, but no source is given for the story at all, so did the author make it up?

The author tells that he has "dramatised the account slightly" when quoting from an older source, which is very frustrating to anyone wanting to genuinely research the story. Some of the stories seem to have been embellished from earlier versions, which makes them entertaining for the reader but of little help to researchers.

I was hoping for a serious research text and this certainly isn't it, but I give it 3 stars for being an interesting and entertaining read!

Quest for the Hexham Heads
Quest for the Hexham Heads
by Paul Screeton

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly fascinating book!, 24 Sept. 2012
A truly fascinating book! Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone with an interest in the supernatural and unexplained. Very thoroughly researched, I couldn't put it down!

Twelve (Danilov Quintet 1)
Twelve (Danilov Quintet 1)
by Jasper Kent

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks likeable characters and emotion, 6 Sept. 2011
The blurb on the back of the book makes this book sound a lot more exciting than it really is. The book is well written and intriguing, you'll want to read it to the end, but you'll be tempted to skip through the boring bits to get to it. I like my books to evoke emotions and to feel like I know the characters and care about their fates, but I just couldn't find anything likeable about the main character, and most of the other characters were described in factual terms rather than anything being said about their personalities or emotional reactions to events. Overall I found it a bit too predictable, and the ending was a bit of a let down. I know it's part of a series so perhaps the author didn't want to conclude the story, but if that's the case then he could have at least written a cliff hanger ending to make the reader want to buy the next book.

I give it 3 stars. I did enjoy reading it and was intrigued enough to read it to the end, but i'll be glad to move on to another book with more depth and emotion.

On the plus side, it has great cover art!!

Sports Island: Freedom - Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360)
Sports Island: Freedom - Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, but a little frustrating!, 26 Dec. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this game as the selection seemed a bit more varied and interesting than the other Kinect sports games! With archery, kendo, and paintball it's got a great selection of more unusual games to play!

Fun, but it certainly takes some getting used to!! The onscreen pointer seems to wobble all over the place even when your hand is still, which makes selecting icons and menus rather tricky. Got the hang of it after a while though.

First we tried archery, and had a nightmare of a time trying to get the arrow to be released. Aiming was nice and easy, no problems there, but the character just wouldn't release the arrow even though we were doing exactly as the demo showed us. Eventually we figured out that it worked if we threw our arm straight backwards and down rather than up as shown in the demo, could be down to us only having 6 to 8 ft and not a huge room so maybe it wasn't picking up all our movement, as after playing other games we noticed it quite often didn't seem to pick up all our movements, including in kendo when it only detected some of the hits. Kendo in general is far too easy and needs to be put up to the hard or ultimate levels to be a bit of a challenge! To the person who commented that one hit and the game is over, if you go to the settings you can choose how many hits are needed, etc.

Favourite game so far is paintball! Moving around takes some getting used to, but you're a lot more involved that in the other games, with your character walking around a room, you can crouch and move, and shoot the other players! Again, some problems with detecting movements and aiming the gun isn't easy, but lots of fun!

Compared to the other Kinect games, Sports Island does seem to come with quite a few problems and does leave you rather frustrated, especially when it comes to selecting icons and trying to understand the very basic game tutorials. The selection of games is great though, and far more interesting than the other Kinect sports games. I think the game is worth buying, but give yourself plenty of time to figure the games out before inviting friends over to play, and make sure you have plenty of room as it seems to require more than the 6ft recommended on other Kinect games!

Lips Number One Hits - Game and 2 Wireless Microphones (Xbox 360)
Lips Number One Hits - Game and 2 Wireless Microphones (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Embarrassingly good fun!, 15 Nov. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
A very amusing and fun game, with a great variety of songs - something for everyone in the family. You'll soon tire of the songs provided and want more though, so prepare to fork out some money for another lips title, or pay to download some more tracks. It scores very generously, so even if you can't sing don't let that put you off you'll still have a ton of fun!! My only advice would be to make sure you put the microphone very close to your mouth when you sing, as unlike the wii microphones which pick up noise a few inches away, the microsoft microphones are less sensitive.