ARRAY(0x9ee58cfc)

Dark Before Dawn
Dark Before Dawn
Price: 1.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy read, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Dark Before Dawn (Kindle Edition)
This was a nice, quick, easy read and I have to say I really enjoyed it. This is not your typical slushy romance brand of YA Paranormal and I found that to be a nice change.

The plot is not overly complicated and I did see a lot of it coming, but I still enjoyed reading along to find out if I was right.

Well written with characters everyone can relate to, I would definitely read more by this author.

I give Dark Before Dawn 4 out of 5 stars.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My Rating System:
1 star: I will never post a 1 star review because this means it was so bad I couldn't finish it, and I don't won't publicly rate a book I haven't read all the way through.
2 stars: I may have liked the story but it was badly written or it may have been a boring story well written. Something about it kept me reading but I didn't enjoy it.
3 stars: A good, enjoyable read. If the description appeals to you I'd recommend reading it.
4 stars: A really good book that I thoroughly enjoyed and may even read again. I will want to read other books by the same author. Highly recommend.
5 stars: Reserved for books that blew me away and whose characters I can't get out of my head. These are books that I will definitely read again, possibly several times. If I read an e-book version I may even have to go buy a hard copy for my shelves. Why are you still here? Go read this book right now.

Wars of the Roses: Stormbird (Wars of the Roses 1)
Wars of the Roses: Stormbird (Wars of the Roses 1)
by Conn Iggulden
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this down, 29 Dec 2013
There isn't really a great deal I can say about this book other than, go and buy it now!

I was completely hooked from the first page to the last and already cannot wait for the second instalment. This is one of the best pieces of historical fiction that I have read in a very long time.

The style of writing, the fully fleshed out characters, the way the 15th Century landscape jumps out at you, all of it is pure genius.

I give Wars of The Roses: Stormbird 5 out of 5 stars.

How to Be a Good Wife
How to Be a Good Wife
by Emma Chapman
Price: 9.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, disappointing ending, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: How to Be a Good Wife (Hardcover)
I did enjoy this book but for me, I felt it fell a little short in places.

The concept is a brilliant one and well thought out, but at times there were certain aspects that were only hinted at, or glossed over, and I would have liked a bit more depth to them. Even said, I probably still would have given this book a 4 if it weren't for the ending. I can see why the author chose that particular ending, but as a reader I didn't find that it satisfied and was left feeling a little let down by it.

That being said, If the description appeals to you, I would definitely recommend giving it a go.

I give How To Be A Good Wife 3 out of 5 stars.

My Rating System:

If I'd Known You Were Coming (Iowa Short Fiction Award)
If I'd Known You Were Coming (Iowa Short Fiction Award)
by Kate Milliken
Price: 10.22

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable collection, 29 Dec 2013
I enjoyed this collection of short stories and like that some of the characters actually intercept but at different periods in time. The let down for me was that once I had connected a few of the stories I was expecting them all to end up connecting in some way and they didn't so I felt a bit let down at the end.

That being said, the way the author brings you inside the minds of these very odd collection of characters is remarkable and it's definitely worth a read.

I give If I'd Known You Were Coming 3 out of 5 stars.

Mrs. Poe
Mrs. Poe
by Lynn Cullen
Price: 15.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark romance at it's best, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Mrs. Poe (Hardcover)
Not only does this story successfully bring to life New York City in the mid-nineteenth century, the characters themselves became a part of the landscape and help create the overall feel of the novel.

The love story between Mr Poe and Mrs Osgood is a dark one but given the types of stories Poe is famous for it seems only fitting. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found myself wanting to learn more about Frances Osgood and her body of work.

I would definitely be interested in reading more by this author.

I give Mrs Poe 4 stars out of 5.

Upgrade: Taking Your Work and Life from Ordinary to Extraordinary
Upgrade: Taking Your Work and Life from Ordinary to Extraordinary
by Rana Florida
Price: 12.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 16 Nov 2013
This book certainly provides some food for thought. The first and last parts of the book were really inspiring and have pushed me to re-evaluate a few things in my life and make one or two changes. A couple of the chapters in the middle, I feel, were geared more towards people who are out there working in an office environment, with more focus on those who are in leadership roles. Although I couldn't directly relate this to my own situation I still found it really interesting.

Overall, this is an easy, interesting and enjoyable read, and may just help you change your life.

I give Upgrade 4 out of 5 stars.

Letters from a Murderer
Letters from a Murderer
by John Mathews
Price: 9.01

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word ... brilliant., 13 Nov 2013
Over the years there have been a number of books, tv shows and films based on the Ripper murders. This is the best by far.
I was gripped from page one right through to the end. The story, the characters, the setting, it was all perfectly executed. In fact, I am writing this now having finished reading it about ten minutes ago and my heart is still racing.
I agree with the Arthur Conan Doyle meets Gangs of New York comparison, and one of the characters definitely brought to mind Daniel Day-Lewis as Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting.
I could easily see this book being turned into a film and I can't recommend it highly enough.
I give Letters From A Murderer 5 out of 5 stars.

Clean Burn
Clean Burn
by Karen Sandler
Price: 8.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down. Brilliant, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Clean Burn (Paperback)
This book had me hooked from the first page and kept me hooked till the very last. I really love the flawed main character and the relationship she has with her ex-partner. The plot was fast paced and intricate and deals with some very ugly subjects perfectly.
The only critique I might have is that it all seemed a little coincidental, the fact that the case takes her back to her hometown and her ex-partner just happens to have moved there and is now in charge, as well as the source of her demons and what is going on in the case. While this kind of thing would usually annoy me and put me off a book, or at least make me knock a star off, in this case it didn't. I thoroughly enjoyed every single page and could not put it down. I really hope that there will be a second book, if there is I will be buying it straight away.
If you like Detective stories, this is one you do not want to miss.
I give Clean Burn 5 out of 5 stars.

The Returned
The Returned
Price: 4.80

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting concept, too much head-hopping, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Returned (Kindle Edition)
I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. I liked the characters, and it was an interesting concept, but it just seemed to meander about. It was written from an omniscient point of view and all the head-hopping just had me confused and kept me disconnected from the story. It seemed to raise a lot of questions and never really answer them. It got me thinking, and I don't think it is a book I will ever forget, so from that aspect I guess it did it's job and could be called a success, but I don't think that I actually enjoyed the journey.

The part of me that was disconnected from the story and found it hard going wants to give 2 stars, but another part of me respects what the story achieved in terms of the way it made me think and feel and wants to give 4 stars. For that reason, I'm opting for the middle ground.

I give The Returned 3 stars out of 5.

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in listening to our children, 30 Oct 2013
This book manages to deal with several very difficult subjects with such raw honesty that you can't help but be moved by it. Although the story is dark, there are glimmers of light here and there that you pull you through and give you hope.

As a mother I found it particularly heart-wrenching and wanted to reach through the pages of the book and do anything I could to help the main character. It really brings home just how important it is to take the time to really listen to our children.

I think this is a very important book that could teach us all a little something about looking out for others. I highly recommend it.

I give Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock 5 out of 5 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4