Profile for S. Mangan-Taylor > Reviews

Content by S. Mangan-Taylor

S. Mangan-Taylor "strawberrybounce2005" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
I Don't Need A Man [2 Track CD]
I Don't Need A Man [2 Track CD]
Offered by firefly-music-store

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hits Just Keep Coming!, 14 Sep 2006
It's hard to believe that it has been over a year since the Dolls introduced the world to 'Don't Cha' and they are already onto the 5th single release from their album, and again they have made a fantastic video to an amazingly catchy, upbeat song which also has a slight 90's sound to it.

This is probably one of the poppiest tracks on the album rather than the urban feels of Don't Cha, Beep & Buttons and the track was produced by Rich Harrison who has been behind hits for Beyonce & Amerie.

Hopefully this will give the Dolls a fifth top 5 hit but I suspect this will end up in the lower half of the top 10.

B'day
B'day
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Way Better Than 'Dangerously In Love', 8 Sep 2006
This review is from: B'day (Audio CD)
It's hard to believe that it has been over 3 years since Beyonce released her debut solo album 'Dangerously In Love' and I'm pleased to say that they are not similar as this album is much more upbeat than her debut. Don't get me wrong, Dangerously In Love was a great album but there were a couple of fillers and too many slow songs.

This album starts with the UK No.1 single 'Deja Vu' and has a really catchy chorus and a brilliant video to go with it but considering it was the lead single, there are stronger tracks on the album like the excellent 'Get Me Bodied', 'Upgrade U', 'Freakum Dress' & 'Suga Mama' all of which Beyonce gives her all on and the beats are really infectious and they are all extremely catchy and stay in your head for days.

The top quality tracks keep coming with the 2nd single 'Ring The Alarm' which is quite similar to the Kelis track 'Caught Out There' and really shows Beyonce's angry side. She does slow it down a little on 'Kitty Kat' as well as 'Irreplaceable' which is certainly strong enough to be a single!

The album also features the single 'Check On It' which, I have to say, has grown on me as I thought it was a bit bland when released earlier this year. There is also 2 hidden tracks called 'Listen' which is a beautiful track along with a remix of the brilliant 'Get Me Bodied'

Overall. there is not one bad track on this album and considering it only took her a couple of weeks to write, it's way better than her debut with no fillers. Certainly a contender for the album of the year! Go B!

Promiscuous
Promiscuous
Offered by Giant Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Follow-Up!, 1 Sep 2006
This review is from: Promiscuous (Audio CD)
Nelly Furtado couldn't have picked a better track from her latest album 'Loose' to follow up the massive number 1 smash 'Maneater'.

Already a number 1 hit in the USA, Timbaland yet again works his magic with this brilliant upbeat hip hop track and also lends his vocals to the track as well. The already catchy verses build up to a cracking, even more catchy chorus and its a song I couldn't get out of my head for days.

Sure to be a smash hit when its released! Keep up the excellent work Ms Furtado!

Back To Basics
Back To Basics
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Christina's Strongest Offering Yet!, 28 Aug 2006
This review is from: Back To Basics (Audio CD)
I was very reluctant whether to buy this album or not as I didn't think Stripped was a very strong album and it also didn't help that the lead single 'Ain't No Other Man' wasn't very strong either. I listened to clips of the album instore and the clips sounded amazing, they all grabbed me instantly so I bought the album.

Both discs are different from one another and I can't decide which one I like best. Disc one has more of a modern and contempory feel to it but some tracks do have that old school vibe. The opening track 'Makes Me Wanna Pray' is instantly catchy and has a great beat behind it. It also has a gospel feel to it as well. Back In The Day is probably my favourite track on the whole album, the verses and chorus are just so catchy and the beat behind it is also great.

Other great upbeat tracks are Slow Down Baby and the Dirrty follow-up 'Still Dirrty' which is probably my second favourite track and it also sounds nothing like the 'Dirrty'

Of course disc one has its share of ballads such as the tearful 'Oh Mother' and 'Understand'. Not a bad track on disc one at all, but I would probably pick F.U.S.S & Thank You as my least favourites.

Disc Two has two amazing opening tracks, the intro 'Enter The Circus' and 'Welcome' and there loads of sounds going on in the background which is brilliant and still doesn't manage to overpower Christina's voice.

There aren't many upbeat tracks on this Disc but the best is probably 'Candyman' and the lyrics are excellent and it really has that 40's sound to it.

Other great tracks to mention are Nasty Naughty Boy which shows off an extremely sexy side to Christina. I Got Trouble is also very different to any of the other tracks on the whole album has it has the muffled sound to it and even though it's a very slow song, it's very catchy!

The tracks 'Hurt' and 'The Right Man' have really meaningful lyrics and really shows off Christina's voice to her best and at least one of them has to be singles.

Overall, this has got to be Christina's strongest offering yet. If, like me, you have been put off buying the album due to the lead single, don't be because the album is full of strong tracks! A well deserved UK #1 album for sure!

Oral Fixation Vol.2
Oral Fixation Vol.2
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Disappointing!, 29 Jun 2006
This review is from: Oral Fixation Vol.2 (Audio CD)
I decided to purchase this album due to really liking the single 'Hips Don't Lie'. I was under the impression that this album would be a mixture of pop, r&b and latin numbers but how wrong was I.

The album seems to be quite rocky with tracks like How Do You Do, Animal City and Hey You and the vocals on some of the tracks can become a little annoying.

Also, many tracks on the album I find to be quite boring, for example, illegal with Santana, it just seems to go nowhere!

There are only around 3-4 tracks on this album which I feel are good and these are Hips Don't Lie, Dreams For Plans & Timor and these are the kind of tracks I was hoping would fill the album but instead its mainly rocky pop!

Very disappointing!

Loose
Loose
Offered by gowingsstoreltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Album From Nelly Furtado, 29 Jun 2006
This review is from: Loose (Audio CD)
I wasn't really a massive fan of Nelly Furtado before and even though I did like her older material, nothing really made me go out and buy a full length album but this all changed when I heard 'Maneater', it was just so different to her previous material and after hearing snippets from the album, it was a must have.

I am so glad I purchased it as I feel it is the best album of 2006 so far.

The album opens with 'Afraid' and this is a grower as it took me a couple of listens to really get into it. The next two tracks 'Maneater' and 'Promiscuous' have been massive in differnt parts of the world and it's no wonder as they are top quality and the production from Timbaland is amazing.

The track 'Showtime' is a kind of chilled and relaxed track along with the beautiful In God's Hands and All Good Things.

No Hay Igual is an all spanish uptempo track and is quite hard to sing along to but it is really catchy as is Say It Right which is just screaming for a release.

The bonus tracks 'Let My Hair Down' and 'Somebody To Love' are absolutely amazing and Let My Hair Down is quite unique but still really catchy.

Overall, this is an outstanding album fron Nelly Furtado and this album certain proves what style she should stick with :)

Maneater
Maneater
Offered by CDandVinyl

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Change In Direction!, 3 Jun 2006
This review is from: Maneater (Audio CD)
I was so amazed when I heard this track by Nelly Furtado as it is so much different when compared to her older material.

This has to be, without a doubt, the best single of 2006 so far as its just so catchy.

This, hopefully should be her first UK number 1!

So Under Pressure [CD Maxi]
So Under Pressure [CD Maxi]
Offered by sdiscs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent As Always!, 3 Jun 2006
Dannii never fails to impress with her releases and this new single proves just why she is Queen of the Clubs!

This track has a real 80's feel to it and the chorus is instantly catchy and I feel its got to be one of her best singles to date.

I hope this track isn't overlooked as it deserves, at least to be a hit!

Who Knew [2 Track CD]
Who Knew [2 Track CD]
Offered by stevecaptainkirk

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant 2nd Single!, 29 May 2006
This review is from: Who Knew [2 Track CD] (Audio CD)
Pink's latest album 'I'm Not Dead' really proves that she is back on top as I was quite disappointed with the rocky 'Try This'

This is the second single to be taken off the new album and its a real sudden change of direction after 'Stupid Girls'.

The lyrics are absolutely brilliant and her vocals are really powerful too.

Should be another hit for Pink!

The Way It Is
The Way It Is

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Debut from Keyshia Cole, 25 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Way It Is (Audio CD)
I first heard of Keyshia Cole a couple of years ago with the track 'Never' which I thought was brilliant. A year later, she released an album and it really is top quality!
1. (I Just Want It) To Be Over: A really heavy R&B track to open the album. Great vocals on this track. Brilliant way to open the album. 5/5
2. I Changed My Mind: Has to be one of the best tracks on the album. Everything about the track is really catchy and the lyrics are brilliant. 5/5
3. Thought You Had My Back: I really hoped that this track would become a single as its another one of my favourites. The chorus is just so catchy. Great track. 5/5
4. I Should Have Cheated: Due for release in the UK in April and it will be her first single release here in the UK. Personally, I think she would have been better releasing I Changed My Mind instead but this track is still very good. 4/5
5. Guess What?: This is a really heavy R&B/Hip Hop track which does include a lot of swearing. The verses and chorus are just really catchy. Should also be a single. 5/5
6. LOVE: Keyshia's biggest hit over in the US at the moment. Personally, I don't think the track is that great and I don't really like her vocals on the chorus. 3/5
7. You've Changed: Makes up for track 6. An excellent slice of R&B. 4/5
8. We Could Be: Another great track and the best slow track on the album. 4/5
9. Situations: Again, I think this track should have been a single as its an amazing track and it really is catchy. I love the chorus. 5/5
10. Down & Dirty: Wasn't too keen on this track at first but it really grows on you in time. Great track. 4/5
11. Superstar: Again, when I first heard it I thought it was a little bland but it does grow on you though its not the best on the album. 4/5
12. Never featuring Eve: This was the first ever track I heard from Keyshia and I still think its the best track on the album. The chorus and verses are so unbelievably catchy and Eve's rap is really infectious. Love it! 5/5
Overall, a really outstanding debut from Keyshia and she really is a young version of Mary J Blige with a bit of edge.
This woman is certainly gonna be around for a good few years!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3