Profile for booksyes please > Reviews

Content by booksyes please

booksyes please "booksyes please" (London)

Aesop's Fables
Aesop's Fables
by Fiona Waters
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeously illustrated and wonderfully told anthology, 24 Sep 2010
This review is from: Aesop's Fables (Hardcover)
There are a lot of Aesop's Fables books out there but this new hardback is really stunning. The stories are simply and eleganty re-told and the artwork is really lovely. What I like most of all is the way that it has been set out - its really beautifully put together and the details and care that have gone into it are great. This is a classic and would make a perfect gift for a child, definitely worth spending your money on.

100% Gleek: The Unofficial Guide to Glee
100% Gleek: The Unofficial Guide to Glee
by Evie Parker
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars BriLLiAnT BOOK PACKED WITH PHOTOS, FACTS AND A POSTER!, 28 Jun 2010
If like me, you're a fan of Glee then this book is PERFECT for you. I bought this cause the series has just ended and felt like I needed a Glee! pick-me-up as I was missing out on watching the TV show! This is a great guide, its really chunky and full of glossy photos, facts on all the cast, there are some great photos which I'd never seen before, info about each episode and list of which songs are sung in each episode too! My fave bits were the 'Sue's Corner' section (funny quotes from Sue!) and the Lookalikes section at the end. This book is great for fans of Glee and best of all there is a free poster too!

100% Justin Bieber: The Unofficial Biography
100% Justin Bieber: The Unofficial Biography
by Evie Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING Justin Bieber WOO, 17 May 2010
I bought this book for my little sister and she LOVES it. It's packed full of colour pages, with SO much inside info and goss on Justin - like who he is, where he comes from, what food he likes and even what girls he likes! So many girls love Justin and this book is perfect for them - it rocks, AND it has a free poster- AMAZING, 5* I think everyone should have it!

I Love You With Custard On Top: and other notes from the wilder shores of love
I Love You With Custard On Top: and other notes from the wilder shores of love
by Oonagh O'Hagan

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but average collection of 'love' notes, 16 Feb 2010
I bought this book after seeing some extracts in Glamour magazine which showed some of the cute, funny and odd 'love' notes in this collection. I have to say that I was slightly disappointed by the final product. The notes shown in Glamour were probably the only ones that were genuinely interesting and the book overall seemed disorganised and a bit misleading - overall a pretty average collection, but not something to waste money on in hardback and not something to pick up if you're looking for a collection based on romance.

The Sartorialist
The Sartorialist
by Scott Schuman
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Glossy, inspirational and beautiful, 16 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Sartorialist (Paperback)
If you love fashion and you love photography you should definitely love this book. I have been a fan of Scott Schuman's blog for a few years now and the book encapsulates some of the best outfits Scott has pictured. Its great to flick through for inspiration or just to look at the brilliant characters in each photo.

Fallen: Book 1 of the Fallen Series
Fallen: Book 1 of the Fallen Series
by Lauren Kate

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling, exciting supernatural romance!, 11 Dec 2009
I picked this book up yesterday as I saw the cover and LOVED IT - its dark, mysterious and beautiful - just like the story inside! I don't want to focus on Twilight because nearly everyone compares their books to Twilight nowadays and there are loads of copycats out there, but as a fan of these types of books, I really think this book has everything Twilight offers and more (plus its about angels, not vampires!) It's one of those books which you start reading and you can't stop. The story begins when Luce, our main character, arrives at a new school under mysterious circumstances and meets a boy who she is drawn to and who she is sure she has met before. Lots of twists and turns later, the story gets more and more exciting as you go on, and has everything you'd want from a novel - gorgeous boys (good and bad!), a love triangle, romance, best friends, mystery, action and a great fight at the end! I can't wait for the next one now ........... hurry up and finish writing it please Lauren Kate!!

If I Stay
If I Stay
by Gayle Forman

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, beautiful, brilliant teen and adult read, 10 Dec 2009
This review is from: If I Stay (Hardcover)
This is one of those books which you can't stop reading once you pick it up - it is beautifully written and will leave a huge lump in your throat. I don't want to give too much away but if you are a fan of throught-provoking fiction pick this up - I would fully recommened it to teens as well as adults - 5 out of 5!

Solace of the Road
Solace of the Road
by Siobhan Dowd
Price: 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing book!!, 5 Nov 2009
This review is from: Solace of the Road (Hardcover)
Solace of the Road is one of the best books I've read this year. I started it on a train journey and couldn't stop reading it. It's about a young girl called Holly who is adopted and unhappy in her foster family. She finds a wig and transforms into a completely new person - Solace. Holly/Solace decide to go on a journey to find her mum and also to hopefully find a bit more about who she really is. However its not as easy to run away as Holly/Solace thinks, as she has to deal with some difficult people and issues along the way! This book is about some sad issues but they are written about with great sensitivity, care and humour by Siobhan Dowd, who is an amazing author. I would fully fully recommend this book to anyone - it'll make you think and leave you with a smile on your face.