Profile for Chunky Monkey > Reviews

Content by Chunky Monkey

Chunky Monkey "P" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Chicco Funny Vehicle Fire Truck Toy
Chicco Funny Vehicle Fire Truck Toy
Offered by Kids_Activities
Price: 22.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun, durable, not sure about some of the (non)features, 2 Jan 2013
Great little fire engine with very realistic sound effects and also some puzzling and unnecessary sound effects.

Solid and well built, my 11 month old has fun for short periods of time, but I don't understand the point of the removable water tank as it has no purpose or interest for the child.

There is a blue light on top with clear plastic and everyone who sees it asks if it's broken because the light doesn't flash . . . .it was never meant to flash, but it seems an shame never to have designed it to do so.

It's fine as a simple toy, but nothing particularly exciting so my son will bore of it quickly.

Philips HD4671/20 Brushed Metal Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt - 1.7 Litre
Philips HD4671/20 Brushed Metal Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt - 1.7 Litre
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforwardly brilliant, 2 Jan 2013
With too many fancy kettles out there that think 'lighting up a blue colour' is a valuable feature in a kettle, I just wanted a solid, reliable kettle that can take a lot of use (tea in abundance, coffee addiction in the mornings and a young baby requiring steriised water for milk) in an area with extremely hard water.

I am pleased to say this kettle is great to use:

PROS:

*Big capacity (1.7 ltr)
*Easy to read capacity indicator or both sides (nice touch to include approx no of cups)
*doesn't drip like so many other kettles when pouring
*big, wide lid that makes refilling easy at the touch of a button
*Quiet when working
*Boils quickly and efficiently
Removeable filter in spout for easy cleaning/descaling of filter
*Looks great

CONS:

*When it does get limsecale it can be seen due to the indicator . . . .but that's also a good thing as it reminds you to descale it!
*Would prefer a solid body with spout instead of plastic spout (only a minor grumble and doesn't impact operation of the kettle)

In summary: Simple, easy to use kettle that boils efficiently; surely what every kettle should be?! Take note other manufacturers.

Feed Me Now ! Highchair
Feed Me Now ! Highchair

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and the most practical High Chair I can find, 1 Nov 2012
Choosing baby/child products is always fraught with difficulties: Which brand, practical considerations, will it clean easily . . . . .will it impress friends? :)

The 'Feed Me Now' is a resounding yes to all those questions.

Very practical: the whole thing can be wiped clean or, in the case of the tray, taken apart to be run through the dishwasher, the soft chair lining is easily cleaned with a cloth, but it's still comfortable for my son depsite being a soft plastic.

It's easy to collapse and store and the adjustable height of the chair is straightforward, you can even recline the back of the chair - great when your child is young and having an after dinner cup of water or milk.

Only downsides are that it wasn't entirely clear how to assemble and, indeed, there were some superfluous parts as it seems the design changed at some point in manufacture and the instructions were slightly out of date, but it was easy to figure out.

A great chair and by far the most practical I have come across in the market.

RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black
RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black
Price: 39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, stylish, but most importantly they work as described, 1 Nov 2012
Phew! Finally, after months of research (I'm not really a techie so it felt like hard work and difficult science) I have discovered a reasonable set of headphones for the iPhone that actually work and won't fall apart!

I spent slightly more on a pair of Nixon headphones that lasted two months before breaking (poor manufacturing) and did not function well with the iPhone 4S. I was so frustrated I resolved to believing that the enormous number of headsets on the market was mass produced to sell quickly rather than for a quality finish at this price point.

I am happy to report I was wrong. These RHA's are exactly what you need if you're a heavy user who doesn't need DJ/Producer quality sound - I probably wouldn't notice the differnce anyway - these have great sound reproduction.

Pro:

*Great sound
*Remote works really well
*No integration issues with the iPhone 4S like many other brands and callers wouldn't know I was using a headset
*Sound is great - bass, mid and hi frequencies all beautifully balanced for a typical user like me
*The tangle-free cord really IS tangle free :)
*In-Ear bud choices are a good attention to the users' needs
*Look stylish and have a surprisingly useful little carry bag
*long enough cable without being annoying and in the way
*Made in Britain and, at this price point, worth every penny
*3 year warranty gives me belief they will last well

Con:

*In-line remote is only 6 inches from the right ear-bud; would prefer it to be a little further down the cable; perhaps just a personal preference

On top of all this, they arrived next day without having to opt for Express Delivery - always nice, but perhaps just got luckly with Royal Mail. :)

Summary - Great price for such impressive headphones that are designed and made so expertly.

Celicious Black Carbon Fibre Back Cover Case for BlackBerry Bold 9900 | BlackBerry Bold 9900 Case Cover

1.0 out of 5 stars poor finish and hinders connectivity, 16 Sep 2011
Should look good, but the finish is a little poor and it's very difficult to connect the charger as it fouls on the case and I am concerned about possible damage so I have stopped using it.

This feels like a rushed design project to hit the market in time for launch of the 9900. Such a shame and I'm still looking for a better case.

Pick a Pretty Indian Name for Your Baby
Pick a Pretty Indian Name for Your Baby
Price: 1.88

1.0 out of 5 stars Extortionate and unusable, 6 Sep 2011
Having paid the extortionate amount of money for this book in electronic format whilst on holiday with my pregnant wife, we were expecting a high quality kindle book to browse and enjoy short-listing our baby's name. Unfortunately, it felt like a bad photocopy, with strange lines and dots appearing on pages intermittently, text regularly in different fonts, no logic to the pages & paragraph layouts and the experience was more akin to a substandard free kindle book.

Some of the information is interesting, albeit not the most accurate information I've come across, but as an e-book it is appalling and unusable. Had it been free it would still be poor, but I wouldn't have made the effort to write this review.

Save your money and visit one of the many free online baby name websites, which, as it turned out, have been much better.

Avoid.

Edifier Life Style E3350 2.1 3pce Speaker System 2 x 9W + 32W RMS Sub
Edifier Life Style E3350 2.1 3pce Speaker System 2 x 9W + 32W RMS Sub
Offered by Emax
Price: 79.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Punches way above it's weight at this price!, 31 Aug 2011
Love it, love it, love it!

Bought initially to plug into my MacBook to play Spotify music at parties, it now sits stylishly behind my TV and doubles as viable speakers for a great viewing experience. A totally pleasant surprise and the best home entertainment investment I've made to date, especially at this price.

It looks great, sounds amazing and draws great attention when people are trying to work out where "that great sound is coming from".

Will be buying Edifier again for future sound systems.

Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1)
Killing Floor: (Jack Reacher 1)
Price: 2.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Series Opener -if a little too straightforward, 27 Jun 2011
Great opener to a series and kept me entertained, but "entertained" is definitely the right word as I was not kept guessing or intrigued by complex characters or subtle plot.

The clichés about Small Town America were many and, being a UK citizen writing about people and places of the USA, Child's made a little too much effort to sound American. Count how many times he uses the phrase ". . . as he nosed the car out of the parking lot . . . as he nosed the car into traffic. . . " - I actually started to laugh out loud. One of the characters is described in a way that made me envisage him as Colonel Sanders complete with white suit, string neck tie and rootin', tootin' manner about the way he patronises town folk!

That said, you may get the impression from the above that I am extremely critical, yet strangely, I thoroughly enjoyed the pace of the book and the amount of 'stuff' that happens on almost every page. It was sufficiently satisfying that I have begun reading the second book and, no doubt, I will find myself hooked on the series.

I suppose, in many ways, it's a bit like first discovering John Grisham: You can't deny the 'readability' of his books, but they won't exactly challenge your intellect.

Great solid read, don't pass over due to some poor reviews here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2013 11:39 AM BST

The Warsaw Anagrams
The Warsaw Anagrams
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, thought provoking & sincere, 2 Jun 2011
Warsaw Anagrams was the first book I bought on my Kindle based on the strength of some recommendations and I could not have chosen better. There are plenty of reviews that indicate the novel's themes and story, so I want to focus on why this should be amongst your library.

The Jewish ghettos are not often written about in this context or, indeed, focussed on in museums and exhibitions; much of these tend to talk about the restrictions to lives and, latterly, being imprisoned in camps. Richard Zimler's novel made me more aware of the possible conditions inside such a ghetto and the survival of its people within such a claustrophobic place.

For me, the style of writing also falls into a similar category as The Book Thief (I've reviewed this previously) due to its story telling perspective and focussing on the people and circumstances rather than the global politics of the time. However, this is very much a book for adults.

Importantly, it is wonderfully written and allowed me to paint a vivid landscape of the people, places and difficult circumstances of the time; it also reflects the juxtaposition with that of the rest of Warsaw and The Before Time.

I was also enthralled by the clever weave of what is, essentially, a crime novel (murder mystery) with the horrible historical events of the 1930s & 1940s.

At the price I paid for the Kindle version, this was great value for money and I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2011 2:37 PM BST

PURE Chronos iDock Series II, DAB/FM Stereo Clock Radio with Dock for iPod/iPhone - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough & lacking the quality associated with the price, 11 April 2011
Bearing in mind the credentials of PURE for DAB devices this should have been a great purchase, but it was mediocre at best.

The Good stuff:

+ It suits a small space where the quality of sound reproduction is not the most important factor
+ DAB & set up work well and is relatively straightforward to use
+ It's compact & fits on my wife's small bedside table without taking up too much space
+ It has a USB port, which is great for charging my wife's BlackBerry overnight

The Bad stuff:

- Buttons on the front don't work very well, sometimes don't react to being depressed. e.g. power button
- Despite instructions to the contrary (and in line with some other reviews) the iPhone/iPod docking port is not very reliable. Specifically, I've had to remove the docking insert and even then the iPod doesn't always charge or play
- Sound is poor and cannot be adjusted sufficiently
- Value for money is poor & I find it looks and feels cheaper than it is
- LED display doesn't seem very crisp and is too bright during the night; my wife turns the unit around away from the bed
- Eminates an electrical 'buzzing' noise at the mains, unless it's charging an iPod or USB device

Overall I am disappointed and left feeling as though I have paid more than I should for a DAB of this 'quality'. It's as though the designer's great ideas were the victims of the credit crunch and the procurement department at PURE decided they could save money by squeezing suppliers for inferior parts and build quality.

DAB is no longer a new technology and yet I'm given the impression by PURE that they think I might be satisfied with highly priced, sub standard product because I am an 'early adopter'. I'm afraid I can't give much options for an alternative because I haven't yet found one; I'll update this review as soon as I have.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3