Profile for raquel > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Christmas Party
The Christmas Party

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant party!, 12 Aug. 2014
Boss and lech Tyler Benson is having a bad day and it just gets worse. The Christmas party should be a highlight of his year and a chance to bask in the glory of his success, hilariously it doesn't quite work out that way. The women in his life have had quite enough of him and his behaviour and thanks to them, a second rate magician and the local fire brigade this is one party he won't forget.
I found this book very different to carole matthews usual style, set over three days and centred around the party there was lots of what I love about caroles writing but not every character got their happy ending which I liked.
It was very easy to get into the story and although it took a while to warm to any of them, there were lots of great characters. Lots of short chapters kept it pacy and easy to pick up and put down. I hope carole had a lot of fun attending wild parties in all in the name of researching this book! Another great book from Carole Matthews

Yours Truly
Yours Truly
by Kirsty Greenwood

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious!, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Yours Truly (Paperback)
Made me laugh out loud. Loved the book. Will be looking out for more books from kirsty greenwood. Recommend to all ages.

Calling Mrs Christmas
Calling Mrs Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Please write a sequel, 5 Aug. 2013
Cassie has been unemployed for some time and decides to start up her own business organising Christmas for others. Along the way she finds new friends, has a trip to Lapland and is offered the chance of everything she thinks she wants in life. She then has to decide what she really wants and what matters to her.
I really loved the characters in this book and despite reading it during a heatwave I felt really christmassy! It was a bit predictable, but thats one of the things I like about it as it makes for easy reading you can switch off with, and I still want to read it to see if i'm right! I have read a few Carole Matthews books now and think they just get better. If you enjoyed cottage by the sea then this is a book you will enjoy also.
I am desperate to know what happened to the business after Christmas and if the boys turned out ok. Please write a sequel Carole!
Im off to order the next book 'A place called home'it sounds another good book.

Single Woman Seeks Revenge: Another Very Funny Romantic Novel
Single Woman Seeks Revenge: Another Very Funny Romantic Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 29 July 2013
Easy to read and funny. This was better than Tracy Blooms first book. Suzie behaves exactly as I wish I dared or was able to, when getting revenge on her past loves. Will be looking out for more books by the same author in future.

Wedding Night
Wedding Night

4.0 out of 5 stars easy read, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Wedding Night (Kindle Edition)
A good story which did make me laugh out loud in places. It was easy to get into and I enjoyed the storyline and although it's not exactly realistic it was entertaining. I did feel something was missing this time though as it wasn't as good as Sophie Kinsellas other books but it was a nice read for the bank holiday weekend and the short chapters made it easy to pick up and put down. Would recommend and probably will re-read it sometime.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2014 10:43 AM GMT

Breville TECHnique VIN258 Digital Steam Iron - 2,750 Watts
Breville TECHnique VIN258 Digital Steam Iron - 2,750 Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 9 Sept. 2012
This iron is brilliant, it has a good sized water tank meaning I didn't have to keep filling it up,and a handy little jug to fill it with. It has a good length cable and the self clean feature is easy to use. It is heavier than I am used to however this extra weight really seemed to help get creases out better and you dont notice its heavier when actually ironing as it glides so well over clothes.
The digital display and water fill level can be difficult to see if not in good light and I did find it dribbled a bit on steam setting but found that as long as I kept it moving quickly it was fine.
The vertical steam option is also a useful feature and was easy to do.
Its a nice looking iron that really speeded up a job I don't like and I would not go back to my old one again.

I Never Fancied Him Anyway
I Never Fancied Him Anyway

4.0 out of 5 stars I fancied this story anyway, 30 Aug. 2012
Cassie is psychic and works for the psychic problem page of a magazine and has a slot on a tv show. Her gift wont work if she is with someone she dislikes or fancies which wasnt ideal when she fancied her tv show boss and disliked some of the phone in callers. She also has problems when she gets visions for friends as they are not always the things they want to hear.
This was a nice uncomplicated story with some funny lines in it and I found it enjoyable easy reading. The only really annoying bit was the constant references to Marc with a c, but I will be reading some of Claudia Carrolls other books after this.

Yesterday's Sun
Yesterday's Sun

3.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it, 29 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Yesterday's Sun (Kindle Edition)
Holly moves into a gatehouse an inherits a moondial from the previous owner. She soon finds out it will show her what her destiny is and now matter how she tries to change it, she ends up at the same place. She has to decide whether to die in childbirth or never have children. She thinks it is an easy decision but the more she sees the future the more she falls in love with the baby she is destined to have.

Previous owner Jocelyn is one of the few people who know the secrets of the moondial and helps Holly with her decisions. Jocelyn's story sounded interesting and I would have liked to know more about her.

The book got off to a good start but it slowed after that. However I was interested in finding out what was happening with the moondial so stuck with it and after about 70 pages it picked up again.

I liked the ending but would have liked to know how the characters reacted to the final choices made. If you can overlook the fact that there are some gaps, as others have pointed out, the fact the whole village suddenly knows them being one, and dont need much depth then this is a nice unusual story. I always thought given the chance I would like to see into the future but after reading this i'm glad we can't.

Apples
Apples

1.0 out of 5 stars sex,drugs and swearing, 26 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Apples (Kindle Edition)
The Adam and Eve concept sounded interesting, so as it was deal of the day I thought it was worth a try. Very disappointed in this I just didn't get it at all. I didn't care about the characters and didnt feel that anything was described except for the drug taking. The constant swearing didn't add anything to the book and just seemed unnecessary and it just felt like I was reading the diary of a teenager who would probably be appearing up on the Jeremy Kyle show.

Things I Couldn't Tell My Mother: My Autobiography
Things I Couldn't Tell My Mother: My Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars funny without trying!, 24 Aug. 2012
"Our Susan would rather read a book than clean her house" was a quote in the book from her mum. Well so would I if I'm reading this! I loved reading about the relationship between Sue and her mum and even though there are serious parts in the book such as Hillsborough, Sue's battle with depression, the miners strike and her Mums dementia to name a few, there is humour in the writing. I was at an emotional part where her mum is dying and just at that point a great descripion of her false teeth popping out! I was interested to learn about her time in Brookside and The Royle family and another highlight for me was when her Mum often referred to Paul McCartney as 'that dirty beetle'!
Now Sue's back in Corrie I am hoping in a few years time this book will be updated or even another one written. I hope so as I would definately be reading it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3