Profile for Joe Hawker > Reviews

Content by Joe Hawker

Joe Hawker "Noctus" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Minky Premium Plus Ironing Board - 122 x 38 cm
Minky Premium Plus Ironing Board - 122 x 38 cm

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I was hoping., 19 Mar. 2015
Pretty unstable, especially on tiles/laminate flooring. Carpet is okay but for the price I really expected better.

The lever for collapsing it is also annoyingly on the opposite side to where would be useful, too. I use this out of necessity; it's not bad enough for me to be desperate to purchase another but I was hoping for better considering it was pretty expensive.

De'Longhi EC330S Machine
De'Longhi EC330S Machine

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price, very good., 19 Mar. 2015
This machine makes a beautiful espresso and is very easy to use. It looks stylist in any kitchen and fits the bill very well. There's very little to say about it other than that, but here's a few nitpicks I have that DeLonghi could have improved on:

- The tamper built onto the roof of the machine is absolutely useless, they may as well not have bothered. Just include a separate tamper in the box, chaps.
- The espresso baskets aren't deep enough to be able to put enough coffee into it without making a mess while tamping the coffee. An extra millimetre or two would have done wonders.
- The steam wand doesn't go outwards quite as much as I'd have liked.

For the price though (got mine for £70 at Currys), cannot complain considering the quality of the product. It's a little bit noisy, sure, but it's a budget coffee machine that still manages to make great coffee - why complain?

If you have a bigger budget you may want to go for a better machine but if you don't want to spend twice as much and still get a very good espresso there's little to be disappointed about with this machine.

FiiO Kilimanjaro E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier (3.5 mm Stereo Jack, Black)
FiiO Kilimanjaro E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier (3.5 mm Stereo Jack, Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure how I did without it!, 30 Jan. 2015
This is my first portable headphone amp so I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm really impressed with how it performs. I found that by using a lower volume on my MP3 player (Cowon X7) and boosting the volume with this the sound was much more spacious, clear and of course - loud. I tried this with my AKG K550 over-ear closed back headphones and my Sony XBA4 IEM's and with both I could hear a marked improvement and having an actual volume dial on the go is a far more pleasing way to adjust volume than by fussing with buttons.

The EQ settings just add bass, 0 being default, 1 and 2 being increments of bass amplification. 2 was a bit muddy for me but 1 adds a bit of 'umph' that I find very pleasing with almost all the music I listen to. I would definitely recommend this if you find that you can't drive your phones or if the clarity suffers at higher volumes.

Reasons it lost 1 star:
1. The EQ switch is very low quality; it's difficult to switch between 0 and 1 without accidentally going to 2 without being very, very gentle. Making this firmer would have been a godsend.
2. The inclusion of a square of velcro with an adherent would have been such an appreciated addition to attach it to your player without the obtrusive rubber band.

Comply T-200 Isolation Earphone Tips Medium Red 3 Pairs
Comply T-200 Isolation Earphone Tips Medium Red 3 Pairs

2.0 out of 5 stars Clearly I'm missing something., 30 Jan. 2015
No idea why these are so coveted - I found they made the highs far more muffled. They're annoying to insert, the isolation isn't that much of a step up from Sony Hybrid tips and they disintegrate so easily.

I used these with my Sony XBA4 headphones so maybe they just don't work well with those.

Sony XBA4iP Premium Quality In-Ear Headphones
Sony XBA4iP Premium Quality In-Ear Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the balanced armature 4-way driver make a difference? In a word: Yes., 30 Jan. 2015
A little bit of context first.
What I use these with:
Cowon X7 160GB
Fiio E11 Amplifier
(I do sometimes use these with my PC which has a dedicated Asus Phoebus Solo sound card)

IEM's previously owned:
Sennheiser IE80
Shure SE215
Sony EX500
Phonak Audéo PFE112

With that out of the way, I like these IEM's a lot and they're probably the best I've owned on an 'overall spectrum' judgement factor. I found myself very disappointed in the Sennheiser IE80's so these were a great replacement, despite the imperfections that the Sonys have here and there.

I'm yet to find any music this doesn't do admirably however so I'll talk more about the sound signature, which is without a doubt distinctly Sony - arguably slightly on the clinical side with a V-shaped sound signature (prominent lows and highs, slightly recessed mids). If you want really articulate mids and less bass presence (aka if you're a strictly classical listener), I think you'd be better off looking into something else as these are far more suited to rock, pop, electronic, metal etc.

The highs are a slight contention point. There is plenty of sparkle but with poorer recordings this can sometimes lead to brash sibilance. Conversely, the highs sound excellent on good recordings and really add life to tracks you might have overlooked before. The mids sound detailed and weighty but lack a tiny bit of clarity, though this is rarely a problem as they are still very detailed. The bass is reasonable on a flat EQ, not obtrusive but weighty and deep without being out of control. Pump these up, however, and you're in for something thunderous. These guys can deliver a lot of bass - perhaps not as much as the IE80's could but if you need any more than that you're utterly missing the point of a headphone like this if you choose to muddy up the sound. Isolation is very good, too, if you use the tips that insert foam behind the silicone. Soundstage is decent overall.

These IEMs use a balanced armature driver, meaning that it has 4 separate drivers in each ear that all serve a different purpose instead of just one that does it all. Think of how speaker sets have a subwoofer, a woofer and a tweeter and that's essentially what these pack into a tiny housing. Does it work? Heck yeah. There is a lot of detail to unravel and if you focus on a track with well recorded drums it really comes to life. I've never heard an IEM that can render drums as spaciously as these can, and thanks to the balanced armature drivers there so much weight to each hit and each one sounds distinctly spacious and different to one another.

The XBA4's are a very good 'all rounder' at this price range - where it excels at very little, it performs in every category and has no clear weaknesses. The Phonaks had great mids but lacked bass, the Sennheisers had weight and bass but very brash highs etc. This has no 'excelling' factor past the power of the balanced armature but it performs in every situation admirably. I think they're a really good bet for anyone who isn't sold on any particular sound signature and wants something that performs in each area to a great standard at the price range.

It does, however, lose one star for these reasons (which you could consider niggles if you want, I still love these IEMs):
1. It insists on a good source otherwise it risks sounding brash, moreso than other IEMs in the price range. If you make an investment on these, make sure you've made an investment on whatever you'll be using them with or you'll be disappointed.
2. The mids certainly aren't -bad-, far from it - but I previously owned the Phonak Audéo PFE112's which had such amazing mids so these felt like a slight step down in this area.
3. Where the build quality is fine, and still looks as good as the day I bought it (nearly a year going strong!), they honestly don't feel like a £200 product when you hold them and sometimes I fear the cable won't stand the test of time. I hope I'm wrong.
4. The tips with the foam inside sound great, but the foam inside the tips comes apart after a few months of use and you can't seem to get these tips anywhere (let me know if you can, I'd love more!).

Thanks for reading, and I hope I helped.

edit: Oh, and since this was mentioned in other reviews I feel I should also mention it - yes, they sounded horrible out of the box and required a long burn-in. I never believed in burn-in until I tried these headphones. I kept music playing through them for about 100 hours, checking on them every 10 hours or so to see the difference and after the 7th or 8th time I checked was when I really started to fall in love with them and the difference was immense. Could it be brain burn-in? Perhaps, but if you're not pleased with them out of the box, really stick with them and you'll likely get a much better outcome.

Sony DK48 Magnetic Charging Dock for Z3/Z3 Compact
Sony DK48 Magnetic Charging Dock for Z3/Z3 Compact

3.0 out of 5 stars A good product with a price akin to daylight robbery., 14 Oct. 2014
Nicely built, grippy at the bottom so it doesn't slip around. Good little piece of kit that fits the phone nicely, very little to say about it other than "it works".

But what I cannot understand is the price - £22 for a tiny box with a small port on it? Really? It's a tiny plastic box. It's even more cheeky it doesn't even come with a phone cable. I mean, everyone is sure to own one but having a spare to use your new dock with at this price should be included without question. Especially since it's almost essential if you don't want to wear out the flap on the phone with the port behind it.

Comply Tx-400 Isolation PLUS Earphone Tips With Wax Guard Medium Black 3 pairs
Comply Tx-400 Isolation PLUS Earphone Tips With Wax Guard Medium Black 3 pairs

1.0 out of 5 stars No luck with these whatsoever., 1 Aug. 2014
What an utter waste of money. They're easy to install, yes, and they are definitely comfortable - but they block out all treble and sparkle due to the wax guard. It does somehow accentuate the bass, and rather impressively may I add, but the lack of detail or treble you get from using these makes buying high-end IEMs utterly pointless since that's what most higher-end IEMs excel at. After removing them and putting them back on a few times to listen to the difference between my old tips and the new tips (Sony XBA4 for those interested) they simply tore apart from the plastic mold, too, so they're not the best build quality either. Before you comment on me not being gentle enough, I've had plenty of foam tips before and this is the first time I've ever seen this happen. It's a shame my old foam tips don't fit my new IEMs...

£20 for these? What a joke.

Tuff-Luv Faux Leather Pull-E Slip Case Cover for Microsoft Arc Mouse
Tuff-Luv Faux Leather Pull-E Slip Case Cover for Microsoft Arc Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Great., 16 April 2014
Very good fit for the Arc mouse. I have full confidence it will protect it and it's easy to insert and take out again. However, a small pocket/pouch for the USB dongle seems like a no brainer that is eerily absent. A bit baffling, but it's easy enough to just keep in my laptop.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2015 10:41 PM GMT

Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse
Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, convenient, but needs work., 16 April 2014
I do like this mouse in its elegance and ease of portability. It's robustly built and very intuitive. It's also very responsive and is a great pair up for the Microsoft Surface Pro 2. I will say, however, that the scrollbar (or lack of one) isn't the best implementation I've ever seen. The sound it makes is a bit annoying (and impossible to turn off) and I struggle to press the middle button down without having to try about 7 times. There is also no mouse sensitivity settings in the software it automatically installs if you have Windows 8 - quite baffling if you ask me.

But for sure this isn't a mouse you'll want to sit there tweaking - its the convenience you buy it for and it is certainly a much better premium than any other laptop mouse designed for portability you will find. It's for a specific niche of more business-oriented individuals that demand quality and robustness - if that niche is you, go for it.

edit: Turns out double tapping the scrollbar activates the middle button. Would have been nice to have this mentioned in a manual but I've increased the rating.

Everyday I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came [VINYL]
Everyday I Get Closer To The Light From Which I Came [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting there, Justin, 16 April 2014
This is a really good, if subdued, Jesu album. Definitely better than the last two and certainly harkens back to the Conqueror days with a bit more of a subdued tone to it. Very easy to get lost in and unlikely to disappoint any Jesu fan.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6