Profile for Faye > Reviews

Content by Faye

Faye (UK)

Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis (Panther S.)
Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis (Panther S.)
by JOSE SARAMAGO

4.0 out of 5 stars You don't need to know Pessoa or Lisbon to enjoy this book, 20 Sept. 2008
I bought this book after reading Blindness which is a totally different style of novel. I expect I only had a superficial understanding of it though as I don't know Lisbon or Pessoa but I still enjoyed it. Please don't be put off because it was written in another language or you don't know Lisbon or Pessoa. I have learnt about Portuguese history, culture and poetry through reading this book which was an added bonus. Having said that, it is hard work at times but its worth sticking with it as the use of language is such a pleasure to read. I would say that it has translated wonderfully into English and there is a beautiful flow onto the page that I have not experienced with any other author.

Damage
Damage
by Josephine Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars If you "enjoyed" Lolita/Catcher in the Rye, you'll like this, 20 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Damage (Paperback)
I agree with the other reviewers that this book will remain with you for a long time. The film is good but the book is so dark and grips you. Like Lolita/Catcher in the Rye, it is intense and you have a sense of foreboding throughout. I tried a few online book stores to buy this book and Amazon was the only one that had it so I would recommend you get it here.