Profile for islandmusiclover > Reviews

islandmusiclover

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Lucrezia Borgia
Lucrezia Borgia

4.0 out of 5 stars The review below is not for the recording that the ..., 14 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Lucrezia Borgia (Audio CD)
The review below is not for the recording that the cover advertises, but the 77 live recording from the Sydney Opera House. The cover in green is for the studio recording made by Decca and with Marylin Horne.

A Place Called Winter
A Place Called Winter

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly well written tale evoking a vivid portrayal of ..., 5 Feb. 2016
A thoroughly well written tale evoking a vivid portrayal of time and place although it took me a while to work out which time it was actually set in.

Blu-Ray Disc Cases - 11mm Spine - (10 Pack) - replacement standard blu ray SINGLE disc storage case
Offered by Dragon Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm left with way too many perfectly good 16mm blu-ray cases that my discs first arrived in, 5 Feb. 2016
Have been buying these over the years simply to allow more cases on my shelves which are fast filling up. Unfortunately, I'm left with way too many perfectly good 16mm blu-ray cases that my discs first arrived in.

Cavalleria Rusticana
Cavalleria Rusticana
Offered by ScreamingCd

4.0 out of 5 stars I had to buy it if only for the wonderful voice of Agnes Baltsa, 5 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Cavalleria Rusticana (Audio CD)
Having first heard this on BBC Radio 3's record review recently, I had to buy it if only for the wonderful voice of Agnes Baltsa. Domingo is as reliable as ever with Sinopoli holding all together admirably. It's always good to hear Juan Pons whose particular timbre has always appealed to me. It's not a work I'm particularly familiar with but the overall sound is simply gorgeous, and a very worthy addition to my other 2 versions with Scotto/Domingo and Cossotto/Bergonzi.

Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232
Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232

4.0 out of 5 stars ... a huge improvement on the 1985 recording which I love. Of course, 5 Feb. 2016
Have only listened to this once but wasn't immediately struck that this was a huge improvement on the 1985 recording which I love. Of course, the soloists are different as are most members of the choir which never fails to impress me. I suspect its mostly down to the current interpretation of Sir John compared to 30 years earlier. Either way, this is pretty much how I want to hear a work that I've known and loved for 50 years or so.

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel [Blu-ray + UV Copy]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy follow-on from the first. Though somewhat sanitised ..., 5 Feb. 2016
A worthy follow-on from the first. Though somewhat sanitised in its portrayal of what is a hot and not so very clean environment, I can well understand the appeal of somewhere to retire to.

Nokia Lumia 630 Premium Leather Black Wallet Flip Case Cover Pouch + Big Touch Stylus Pen + RED 2 IN 1 Dust Stopper + Screen Protector & Polishing Cloth SVL2 BY SHUKAN®, (WALLET BLACK)
Offered by Shukan

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have done with making space for the pen in ..., 5 Feb. 2016
Could have done with making space for the pen in this wallet. Ended up replacing with the flip version which also doesn't allow for the pen.

Vera - Series 5 [DVD]
Vera - Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brenda Blethyn

5.0 out of 5 stars I have thoroughly enjoyed catching up on dvd what amounts to something of ..., 5 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Vera - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Having missed every series on tv, I have thoroughly enjoyed catching up on dvd what amounts to something of a tour de force from Brenda Blethyn. Her characterization of Vera is a joy to behold, leaving me wanting to know more of what's going on in her amazing mind. Very much looking forward to series 6.

Vicious - Series 2 [DVD]
Vicious - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian McKellen

5.0 out of 5 stars I never thought I would come to enjoy a sitcom about two rather tired old queens that ..., 5 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Vicious - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I never thought I would come to enjoy a sitcom about two rather tired old queens that take me back to my youth, but I did. As with 'Episodes', all the more fascinating as it comes from the pens of American writers. Brilliant ensemble cast.

Episodes - Series 4 [DVD]
Episodes - Series 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt LeBlanc

5.0 out of 5 stars This series goes from strength to strength with a marvellous ..., 5 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Episodes - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
This series goes from strength to strength with a marvellous sense of ensemble work throughout. Hard to believe that what is essentially a story about an English couple in Hollywood is actually written by Americans - all the more credit to Tamsin Greg and Stephen Mangan. Hats off to Matt Leblanc too whose character is deliciously wicked and completely without moral compass.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13