Profile for pinkdiddly > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Antique Cream Metal Clothes Rail And Shoe Rack
Antique Cream Metal Clothes Rail And Shoe Rack
Offered by marymarygardens

4.0 out of 5 stars ) However it is a little more 'distressed' than I was expecting and so I will give it a coat of paint to blend better with other, 3 Oct 2014
A lovely, elegant piece of furniture and more robust than it looks (although it should be, as not cheap!) However it is a little more 'distressed' than I was expecting and so I will give it a coat of paint to blend better with other furniture in the room.

Vacu Vin 4-in-1 Pineapple Peeler, Corer, Slicer and Wedger (in Box) - Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost my favourite gadget!, 22 May 2014
After my iPhone and my coffee machine, this is definitely my next favourite gadget. I used to live in fear of the pineapple - how do I chop it without taking the tips of my fingers off? And now, the pineapple is king. Very clever gadget and very easy to use, thoroughly recommend it! (We eat a lot of pineapples now)

Sewing For Kids: Easy Projects to Sew at Home
Sewing For Kids: Easy Projects to Sew at Home
by Alice Butcher

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 25 Feb 2014
Full of great, fun ideas for things to make, complete with templates and clear instructions. Perfect for my 8 year old daughter.

SAMRICK Specially Designed Leather Flip Case for Apple iPhone 5/5G/5S - Purple
SAMRICK Specially Designed Leather Flip Case for Apple iPhone 5/5G/5S - Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful but perfect, 25 Feb 2014
A good value phone case, does the job and looks good. You don't need to spend a fortune to get a decent case.

A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7 (Simon Serrailler 7)
A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7 (Simon Serrailler 7)
by Susan Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as usual, 25 Feb 2014
I have enjoyed all the Simon Serailler books so far but this one did disappoint a little. Much as I enjoyed once again catching up with Cat and her family, and following the ins and outs of Simon's highly complicated love life, the mystery just wasn't mysterious enough for me. I guessed the identity of the killer very early on, but did go on to finish the book just to find out how he was delivered to the police. I found the whole entrapment idea slightly far-fetched and dependent on an awful lot of luck going their way (which it did!) Please don't fall into the trap, Ms Hill, of churning out one story after another just because the Simon Serailler name sells to your hardened fans. Give us some more drama!

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite Secret History but almost..., 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
The Secret History rates as one of my all time favourite books so I was eagerly awaiting this one. I love a good, long read, which utterly engrosses you and makes you want to stay up late at night reading, and it did all that and more. There was however too much focus on the drug/alcohol obsession (particularly in Theo's teenage years), but that was compensated for by how beautifully the book is written. There were quite a few sentences, and even paragraphs, that I just had to go back and read over again for their sheer elegance; Donna Tartt has a way of making even life's ugliest moments sound poetic - very clever indeed. Let's hope we don't have to wait so long for her next oeuvre...

The Twins
The Twins

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut Novel, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Twins (Kindle Edition)
I was totally absorbed in this book from start to finish. The author writes beautifully and has a hugely personal way of making the settings come to life. The two time periods (1972 & 1987) are depicted beautifully. I too was a child/teen of the seventies and eighties, and without being overly obvious, the references to real events help to put the story in its context. I found myself thinking, 'Oh yes, I remember that!' The obvious lack of technology in that era is important to the plot - the mystery element of the story would have been solved pretty quickly, I feel, had they all had Smartphones! And the underlying love story is one you just have to hope resolves itself, although I liked the fact that there was an element of the unknown left for the reader to ponder upon.
Hurry up Ms Sarginson and publish your next one!!

A Half Forgotten Song
A Half Forgotten Song
by Katherine Webb

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow starter but then I devoured it!, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: A Half Forgotten Song (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed Webb's other books and couldn't wait to get stuck into this one. And then I had a couple of false starts - just couldn't get into it, although I really wanted to. There was just too much boring stuff at the start which bogged me down and detracted from where I thought the story should be heading, probably for the first hundred pages or so. But I persevered, and then Dimity's obsession with Charles kicked off in earnest, some interesting sub-plots appeared, and there seemed to be mini cliff-hangers in every chapter which kept me guessing.

I agree with other reviewers that there are some loose ends that just haven't been tied up, but as I devoured this book (once I finally got into it) then I still have to give it four stars, for it's sheer compelling nature alone.

Hushabye (A Kate Redman Mystery: Book 1) (The Kate Redman Mysteries)
Hushabye (A Kate Redman Mystery: Book 1) (The Kate Redman Mysteries)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great story, 26 May 2013
Celina Grace has been a great find for me! After reading & loving The House on Fever Street I thought I would try this one and I wasn't disappointed. It's a gripping detective story but the main character engages you, and as well as wanting to know how the mystery turns out you want to learn more about her too - and it delivers on both counts. Excellent read.

The House on Fever Street
The House on Fever Street

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping tale of love, obsession and madness, 9 April 2013
I loved this book. I'm a big fan of Erin Kelly and this book will appeal to anyone who likes her. A taut, compelling tale which questions what love really means, deep, dark, sexual & compelling. I have to admit to being slightly disappointed with the ending - expected more of a twist, which didn't come unfortunately, but nevertheless I will definitely read more by this author. Just the sort of dark and scary thing that bizarrely, as a writer of chick lit, I love to read!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3