Profile for Fableofdreams > Reviews

Content by Fableofdreams

Fableofdreams

Page: 1 | 2
The Reckoning: Number 3 in series (Darkest Powers)
The Reckoning: Number 3 in series (Darkest Powers)
by Kelley Armstrong
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars I must say this was "Milking the cow too much" , the Darkest Power trilogy was easily one book worth plot, 12 Jan 2014
Greetings,
I was hoping the year would start better reading wise, last year was the "Ok Year", so I wanted to end 2013, and start this one in a better mood.
Witches/Magic was my option, and since I dedicated my Christmas haul mostly to fantasy and /magical books, I really was expecting this series and my experience with Kelley Armstrong to be awesome, since she's quite known within Supernatural fiction genre.
This series, was my second read of hers, I read Bitten before, and although I find her writing style quite casual and very easy to read, this was quite disappointing. This is a highly rated series , especially for a young adult, so I was expecting a lot more than what I found. Don't get me wrong , this was for certainly a page turner, specially this last book, I read it in a matter of hours, but I kept drifting off of the history and imagining what this could have been.
The romance didn't irritate me , nor appeal me, most of the time I actually didn't remember she was in fact that young , what was good , and overall I must say that the characters were well drawn and her abilities and the way they were described very well done and that's why this is so frustrating , it's because the setting was strong enough to be interesting and then it failed to be delivered.
The narration drags, so many running away, escapes and anxiety, it feels that there is just to much building-up/action to a very weak climax. In the end we are left with too many questions to be answered and it feels tiresome.
I must say this was "Milking the cow too much" , the Darkest Power trilogy was easily one book worth plot, probably good for preparing this younger version of the "Otherworld series", bringing it up to three left me with high expectations that things would get better with time, and the problem was that they didn't, they end up just the same way they started, just ok, which made this reading experience kind of pointless.

PS: Why a readhead on the covers? O.o

Regards.
Yours Sincerely,

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky
Price: 5.59

1.0 out of 5 stars This is probably my most hated overrated YA book of all time, so far., 19 Aug 2013
Hellow,

Lately I've been not in the mood to review books, but this one was so bad that I was almost obliged to say something. There is a lot of fandom around this book and I mostly manage to stay away from it ,until this week. I had the e-book at my dispose and since I am moving and most of my physical copies are packed I needed something to pass my time, I have to say this was a random choice and I was not expecting much since I know that the wipe are most of the times not to my taste, but this was so much worst than what they used to be that i had to review it.
I'm totally a fan of psychologically broken, social awkward, mentally ill characters, I find this themes quite interesting and I do admire a lot, an author that almost can make you break while you are immersed on his plot, but I have to say this was the most lacking book I ever read on this subject.
I find quite insulting that Chbosky comes up with a mix of all this cruel, controversial and sensitive topics such as child molestation, abortion, rape, suicide, death, relationship violence, homosexuality, and so on , written them all lightly on this -250 pages book and thinks that he can go away with it. Its quite arrogant of Stephen Chbosky to think that he could address all this madness in that few pages correctly, after all, we are not talking about light subjects, I found that this author was trying to manipulate me in order to share some tears and that only made me feel more detached.
The written style is lacking , the plot, the characters and Charlie mostly are whinny, unrealistic and extremely annoying, on this type of situation having some 3rd person insight would be much better , to give some depth to this staccato feeling we have while reading Charlie's thoughts.
I am a truly believer that we should only deal with what we can accomplish when it comes to this topics. Respect is deserved, and if you are not capable of making them justice, just don't try at all, because you are being disrespectful with all the people that had to deal with even only one of them and suffered things that you seem to just can't understand, because if you did, you would never wrote such a crappie book.
Even something as popular as anxiety(at least one time in your life you must have felt it growing deep in your chest) or weeping is dealt in such a vulgar way that probably someone who can't even write would describe it to your more accurately than on this work.
Mostly "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is artificial and generic, the book manages to sum up as many clichés as possible in order to make you cry, please, don't underestimate my intelligence, you are just annoying me, even when I was a teenager, I was way clever than this book would want me to be to relate to it, that itself is just disturbing.
This is probably my most hated overrated YA book of all time, so far.
Skeleton Orchid
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2013 12:09 AM GMT

The Forest of Hands and Teeth
The Forest of Hands and Teeth
by Carrie Ryan
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a girl desperate to get free, you are her company on her trip to madness, 22 July 2013
Hellow,

When I first read the synopsis of this book I was seduced by the writing and the plot that was presented and although I know see how obvious the title is , I entered the history expecting a paranormal book instead of a zombie one. Although it was a surprise and quite a shock, usually I am not so blind to this kind of associations it turned out to be an awesome one.
This world grabbed me to the seat(in this case my bed and pillows) until the end and I read it in one sitting, with a pause to dinner, and I was very happy that I picked this up.
I've read some mixed reviews of The Forest of Hands and Teeth and although I am a totally believer that everyone has right to their own opinion ,I can't agree with the people that say ,that her writing is a mess, on the contrary, I find it very evocative of other literary styles and quite lyrical, this worked very well on this plot and you can see that specially on the first part of this book, Mary, the main character has melancholy on her words and there are phrases that made me sigh, it was sad and sometimes raw and still beautiful. This is mainly written in a very creepy detailed way, and although I don't find it gory, it is quite explicit in a way that you can almost see the scenes and ear the noises but is not scientific about it, specially when it comes to the Unconsecrated prefer it, this way.
The first part of this book was written in a way that you can't almost tell when this present is on the timeline, because of the setting and the way develop in that moment, the world building was not very much explained, personally, that is something I hate in a book, but on this situation it worked perfectly, after all, we are following Mary's thoughts and she does not know about the world much, so its normal that we don't know nothing too, it makes sense and its part of makes you want to keep reading.
I have to say that although the characters are important and they were all acceptable and I understand the need for them to be there, I didn't connect with neither of them the way I did with Mary.
This is a girl desperate to get free, you are her company on her trip to madness, she is just complex and very human, she is selfish like anyone else that is exasperating for life, she feels the loneliness and hurts with it, jealousy for shallow things like someone of her age would feel and most import you can see how unstable she is, how obsessive and even maniacal she can be about her Dream to meet the Ocean because for her that means Hope, and after all, isn't what makes us humans, the way that we always hang to things in order to make them real? She's breaking down , struggling, believing and getting up and Carrie Ryan gave you the privilege of assist while Mary demands more of the life people impose to her.
Don't get me wrong, this was not a perfect book, there was not so believable times that screamed YA to me, I always felt like this was on the path to became over the top, aspects like , being saved on the last second of so many deadly situations and even some of her thoughts about this triangle, were a bit annoying and dramatic, still and luckily it fail to disappoint me, and I was quite surprised by it, that's why it deserves such an high rating for an YA.
The thing that most people complain about this book was probably the writing like I talked before, that I totally disagree with and the way the author leaves lots of questions to be answered, to me that was the wisely thing to do, it kept me expecting and it make me hanging on to it even more, hopefully the sequel will keep this mystery and still gives us something to hold on, looking forward to it.

Skeleton Orchid.

Divergent (Divergent, Book 1)
Divergent (Divergent, Book 1)
by Veronica Roth
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars It was not good on the literary spectrum but it was still very fun and enjoyable., 12 July 2013
Hellow,
Divergent is known as one of the bests YA dystopian books nowadays, although I prefer other genres last week or so I decided to give it a chance since dystopian as been a desire of mine lately.
I have to say I was not very much disappointed , although I didn't get a great dystopian book, I still got a very engaging action packed story to delight myself with and well, that was enough for the time being.
Why I say that this is no dystopian? Well, although there is a little of world building and it's not bad at all, it didn't have the most important thing a book of this genre must have, a sense of despair.
After all we are talking about a dying society on the pick of coming back alive, there was not that political or moral sense to it, the struggle seemed just empty and not enough.
The beginning, specially faction wise, it's quite confusing and not very well explained, that being said I say this book lacks a lot of explanations overall.
Other than that I must say the action it's perfectly described and that the author has an amazing hand for fight scenes. Although I didn't fell in love with none of the characters on this plot I still had the need of following the story through. It's one of that books that keeps you hanging on, very movie like( maybe that was why Summit signed ).

There is not much to say about it, it was not good on the literary spectrum but it was still very fun and enjoyable so , yes , it is a 3.5 starts

World War Z
World War Z
by Max Brooks
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars World War Z" for me its more of an anthology somehow, 4 July 2013
This review is from: World War Z (Paperback)
Hellow
Zombies is always a good subject, although a very used one, specially lately, since it's "fashion", and knowing that this book was quite different from the ones I am used to reading on this matter I decided to give a go. I end up leaving it in my to read list for a while although I have it for several months, because I wanted the plot to be fresh on my brain when the time to see the movie come.
Max Brooks writing is nice, nothing to complain on that matter, and this is probably the most realistic book I ever read about zombies, most of things did make sense and kept me wandering about the possibility of them to happen on real life.
"World War Z" for me its more of an anthology, every interview sounded like a short story and sometimes there was no guideline at all, the fact that we already know the end since the beginning and that there is no action makes this a slow read in fact.
Looking back I did enjoy that there was several different points of view and ways to escape/survive and that he explored lots of them, not only within the American country(that was a big plus to me) but sometimes I felt like everyone was disconnected from their feelings and that every one being interviewed had a political or military agenda going on.
One thing that bothered me was that everyone seem to have a similar voice/point of view on politics, and that the journalist roll was almost inexistent, that made this history sound more like a lecture that real time interviews, and that was a bit disappointing. I wish the interviewer had asked more and bolder questions to the ones he was talking with and not disappear on the stories.
The most important thing about this book, and probably what disappointed me the most, was the fact that an horror book to me, needs to be a thriller somehow, this book needed to keep me expecting something, to get me nervous, to give me a reaction somehow, and what I've got from this was far from that.
There is just no climax at all, and believe me, I was not expecting something like the movie, the true American hero ,tormented one, fighting for his family in order to save the world... not at all, that is not my type of plot. I just wanted to connect with the characters, to feel with and for them when they told me about what they've been through and unfortunately that just didn't happened.

Skeleton Orchid

The Great Gatsby (Wordsworth Classics)
The Great Gatsby (Wordsworth Classics)
by F.Scott Fitzgerald
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a book about the initial "American Dream" richness, wealth, being famous, being known, being Somebody, 3 July 2013
Hellow,
So after some years hearing about this novel, I decided that was about time to give this classic a chance, being the movie out now , all the stores had copies all over the place, and I got this WordsWorth edition for a couple of euros.
I must say this was not such a great experience for me, don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, it was just not awesome, like I was expecting it to be.
I think the main point that made me felt so disconnected with this book was the world building, after all this is an American novel, and you can feel it at every page, Fitzgerald includes lots of places names on the book, and doesn't bother to describe them, so most of the time I was imagining the characters on a almost blank setting, I just couldn't picture it, since I don't know them.
This is a book about moral and relationships and most important of all the initial "American Dream" richness, wealth, being famous, being known, being Somebody. This is when it gets personal, after all since I don't share this dreams with the characters and find them mostly boring and shallow , I just didn't get fascinated by them.
At the beginning I though it was a matter of age, and by that I mean, that I prefer other time periods of history, but than I understand that it was not a matter of subject but the way it was written, not only I had problem with the world building , but most of the times I felt quite confused, because the point of view or the subject changes from chapter to chapter with no introduction or soft passage, so its quite a demanding read.
The author is really good and descriptive when it comes to characters, but once more, I didn't seem to connect with none of them, after all, we are quite different and their "qualities" are what I perceive as defects.
Other than that , Nick the main character claims that he's not a night person and still this is all he does or talks about, you can see that the book as a lot of gaps when it comes to his life, this narrator seems to be only alive when he is with the other characters and talks about nothing more that them.
I have to say that although I appreciated F. Scott Fitzgerald writing and I can see why a lot of people love him it was not my cup of tea, so this will be one of that times, that my rating as more to do with my personal taste than the quality of the book

Seraphina
Seraphina
by Rachel Hartman
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Dear Hartman, thank you a lot, I will be an avid reader on the near future., 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Seraphina (Paperback)
Hellow,
What dragged me to this? Well dragons, should I say more?
There is a couple of subjects that make books a must read for me, and dragons is one of them, if not the most important one. And you have to agree, this cover is just gorgeous for a medieval setting book. So perfect *.*
The first thing that impressed me was the writing, it is almost lyrical although very dense, but not in a boring way, it is that rich kind of dense that is quite descriptive but leaves you with something to be guessed, it has mystery about it, it's almost languid, in a way that it involves you in this world and leaves you wanting to know more.
Goredd is a great fantasy world ,imagine a great historical book set on the medieval times with a twist of fantasy on it, being this, dragons, of course it could not go wrong, at least for me. Specially when this dragons are different from anything you ever read, you get to know their culture, the political intrigues, not only between them, but with humans too, and most important , at least for me, was getting to know the struggle that it is for them to understand the human culture and deal with feeling while searching for knowledge.
The conversations between the characters address subjects like philosophy, art, religion and so on in a very well put together way, that makes me want to have tea with them and chat for hours on real life.
That being said I think this is one of the most important features about this book, it seems realistic enough to keep me engaged, it is something I would like to experience, it's like I am reading about the past, although I know the real deal was not so amazing.
Seraphina must be my favourite female character in a while, she is everything I admire in a heroine with a great touch of reality, she can be cranky(like a lot) ,she makes mistakes , she is very stubborn and gets played by other characters and still she suffers without being annoying(this is a big point, most YA heroines are winy creatures), that mostly comes from knowing sacrifice and loneliness ,but gratitude and will power too.
Half-dragons were a surprise and a good one, although I am still hoping Seraphina would evolve or change at will to a mini dragon I really liked all the different evolutions that resulted of the humans+dragons relationships.
Even this damn triangle is amazing, and believe me, love triangles are one of my greatest pet peeves. But I just can't hate Princess Glisselda, she's such a strong character and evolves in such a great way with the plot that I just can't decide if she or Seraphina should find another love interest throughout the story.
Kiggs on the other way was not of my liking, unfortunately he seems to be a lot weaker that Seraphina and she seems to lead the romance, and I would prefer him to be the one leading her on the webs of passion.
Seraphina itself being half dragon has some issues with feelings, that was interesting, special when you see her falling in love, although I would like to see a bit more of internal struggle with it, she seems to give herself too soon.
I can't even hate the villains, truth must be said, most of this characters have their share of good and evil, and they have they're own reasons to believe something is right or wrong, and that is a great way of seeing that they are all very well written.
I have to say that this must be my favourite YA I read this year. With that said I must point out that although I read a lot of YA books, I have a hard time loving one as much as I love this one.
What I seek mostly in the YA genre is a plot that does not focus mostly on sex on intervals of every 10 pages or less, but ,most of the times I get disappointed with the younger books because they lack emotion or adventure, and the romance mostly feels like teenage obsession rather than real love, and believe me , I understand that most of people don't have the luck of finding they're soul mate at all , much less when they are less then 25 years old, but plots can be very focused on this and most of the times the author looses the true essence of the story while getting carried away on the couple part.
Seraphine had this "amazingness" factor about it, and that, lays mostly on the fact that the romance plays a part of the book, but that is it, the book itself it's a lot more about the self growth of the main character as a woman and a political weft on this celebration rather than the love part.
This will be something I will re-read a lot on the future, no doubt.

Dear Hartman, thank you a lot, I will be an avid reader on the near future.

You Shall Never Know Security
You Shall Never Know Security
by J.R. Hamantaschen
Price: 5.45

2.0 out of 5 stars There is nothing rushed or forced about this stories, 28 May 2013
Hellow,
First of all I want to thank the author J.R. Hamantaschen for contacting me on Goodreads and for sending me a copy of his book free of any charge.
That being said I just want to warn you that I don't feel anyway obliged to say anything that I don't think/feel in this review, even if this is, my first ever, official review of an offered book, mostly because is just the way I am, but because I believe that this type of opinions don't matter a thing if people don't have the same tastes, and obviously, not all of us , like the same things.
You Shall Never Know Security is an Anthology of thirteen short stories written by J.R. Hamantaschen, if there was one thing that impressed me a lot on this book, it was the preface, so I will just copy it here, for you to be introduced to the book, like I was:
"These stories are all genuine. That much we can say with certainty. None of there stories were rushed off. None of there stories were written because J.R. had to crank something out to meet a deadline. That is because each of there stories - and we feel this is important to stress - are about something. There is real emotion here. And real ideas. And real pain and concern and sadness and discomfort.

There is a reason why we describe J.R's work as dark fiction.
These stories will darken your world.

We hope these stories stick with you, like they have with us."

I totally agree with his editors, there is nothing rushed or forced about this stories, they are all unique and horrid in a modern way that almost felt to real.
This was that kind of book that you feel smarter reading it, not only because of the writing style ,that it is exquisite and very well put together(there were even words that I had to search about, and although I am not a English native, I have a really nice vocabulary stash) but because of the subjects and narrative voice that guide you through this book.
Subjects like Politics, Religion, Homosexuality, Moral , Depression, Rape, Loneliness, Blindness , Masturbation, Cancer, Murder, etc.. are inserted in this stories with a twist of madness and I think overall they were all very well exposed.
I wasn't very fond of some comments about Goths and fat girls that were made on two of the stories, but maybe this is just me, being both, that didn't understood the irony on it.
Within my favourite stories are:
"Sorrow as is natural end" , "Wonder", "There Must Be Lights Burning Brighter" and for sure "Parasite", albeit the last one is one of my worst and recurrent nightmares, I really liked how it dealt with depression
My big problem with the book was the logging for something more, the stories are short and leave a lot to guess, I know that for most people this equals to art and it is what describes this genre of horror itself, but for me, it was very disappointing and made me feel quite disconnected to most of this thirteen situations through out the collection.
This must be the first book that I encountered, that I just can't take myself to rate it, I feel very undecided about it, there is part of me that thinks this was very good and other part that didn't liked it at all. Overall I think this is a very good Anthology, just not my cup of tea.

If you feel this type of psychological horror short stories are you thing, check out paperback version on Amazon.uk, it's less than 6 pounds.
SkeletonOrchid

Ps: "Jordan, When Are You Going to Settle Down, Get Married and Have Us Some Children?" is just as funny as disgusting. Poop, really?!

City of Bones (Mortal Instruments): 1
City of Bones (Mortal Instruments): 1
by Cassandra Clare
Price: 3.85

3.0 out of 5 stars I am expecting a lot of growth in future books, 14 May 2013
Hellow,

This review contains BIG spoilers.
So bare in mind that this review is more of a personal rant that anything else, and the main reason that this is happening is because of what this book is making me feel right now, considering that I just finished it.
I've been hearing about Cassandra Clare's work for a while now, both this series and the prequel one are highly acclaimed on YouTube and blogosphere world. Normally I don't trust the wipe, but being my tastes a bit all over the place I decided to give it a try, and when I knew what this was about ,my enthusiasm grown and I was ready to engage myself to this demon hunting world
I remember I read the first 200 pages in a sitting, it was a very fast pacing and engaging plot and although not the best written book in the world ,with some very obvious narrative flaws to it, I was enjoying it still. Sometimes I felt a bit disconcerted about the points of view, they seemed to switch around like crazy, and I had to focus a bit to understand inside who's head I was, or if I was inside no one's head at all, still I felt quite accomplished while reading the first part of it.
The world building was quite poor and there was a lot of explanations to do about the Magic/Religious meaning of the story, the Mortal Instruments itself, the weaponry and specially the Runes, they seem to be the weapon of choice and I still can't understand how they work, and believe me, I tried, this is the type of things that make me feel quite disconnected sometimes with books.
Character wise, they are mostly a sarcastic bunch of teenagers, which I mostly enjoyed, but I really feel the main character is lacking a lot of strength and assurance, she seems to depend on everyone around her to do everything and I am expecting a lot of growth in future books.
I have to say the final struggle between Valentine, Clary, Lucian and Jace was quite confusing, one moment they were after each others throats, other they were making peace arrangements, not the brightest of moments on my opinion, and the persecutor to the thing that annoyed me the most about this story.
Finally the main reason that made me get so upset about this plot was that ending, there is one of my most hated pet peeves on books, incestuous love. That must be the biggest NO-NO ever to be deal with within literature, even more within young adult books, where there is no depth enough to deal with such matter, its just disgusting, I am sorry to everyone who loved it, it was a fall for tragedy to me.
I firmly believe that will be some kind of twist on the books to come to make this love possible, and the story itself was really pleasing so I will continue on with this series but it was still very disappointing to see such a good premises going down with the rain.

Ps: Simon is just a walking cliché , and was just unnecessary.

Regards.
Yours Sincerely,

Blue Bloods: Number 1 in series
Blue Bloods: Number 1 in series
by Melissa de la Cruz
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars This story sometimes sounds more like a magazine article than a book itself, 22 April 2013
Hellow,
I must say that most of the times I can't resist a good vampire story. Lately I was on the mood to read some amazing fanged plot that would fulfil my need and would left me sighing about it.
I've been hearing a lot and for a while that this series of books was amazing, I was drowned mostly to the beautiful covers and idea of a high vampire society .This unfortunately is one of that well-known cases that the hype as nothing to do with literature reality.
I encountered nothing that I was expecting, this book is about a high but not realistic society of spoiled teenagers and their "familiars" and how they are handling a series of deaths that start happening within their circle.
This first point bored me a lot, you have to hear De la Cruz's insane descriptions of outfit details, there is not a chapter on this book that don't have at least 15 high brands being forced on you. This is just poorly done on your face publicity. Omission could have been your friend Melissa. I understand that the author have a really strong fashion background but keep in mind that this story sometimes sounds more like a magazine article than a book itself.
This lead to the second thing that annoyed me, this characters are mostly superficial and very hard to relate with, and I believe that this as more to do with how they were written other than the fact that they were rich. Even your heroine, Schuyler is boring and too perfect to be true, I am so not into the martyr thing, please!!! How can someone be portrayed like the poor girl that dresses all this horrible clothes and still looks amazing all the time? Lame and very far from realistic.
Last and not less important I really disliked the way that vampire traditions are mixed with religious/angel ones, it is not very well made.
There were some positive points like the fact that there is some real historical mystery involved and the fact that we were learning things from different views at one time.
Overall it was a very fast pacing book but it turned out to be very rushed, not realistic and a bit pointless. I think this book sounded like something I could see on MTV with vampires and angels on the mix. Let's see where the series goes, since I have all the books.

Page: 1 | 2