Profile for S. Williams > Reviews

SanDisk SDMX24-004G-G46R Clip Sport MP3 Player - 4 GB, Red
SanDisk SDMX24-004G-G46R Clip Sport MP3 Player - 4 GB, Red
Offered by elevenfirst

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless for libraries with more than 2000 songs, 22 May 2015
Having ran out of space on my 6th gen iPad Nano, I was looking for an MP3 player that could handle 30GB or more. With its external memory card function, this seemed to fit the bill. It was only after using it and digging around on the SanDisk website that I found out that the external memory is artificially limited to 2000 songs. So for a large song library this is useless. I am now trying to find an older model (Clip+ or Clip Zip) that don't have such limitations and apparently contain a much better chip as well. Gravely disappointed in the Clip Sport.

OXO Tot On The Go Feeding Spoon with Travel Case (Aqua)
OXO Tot On The Go Feeding Spoon with Travel Case (Aqua)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Nov. 2014
Good sized spoon, easy to clean, easy to store. Good feeding angle. What more could you want? This lives permanently in the nappy bag.

LeapFrog My Pal Violet
LeapFrog My Pal Violet

2.0 out of 5 stars Sounds too good to be true? Well, it is., 26 Oct. 2014
I guess I was expecting too much based on the other reviews on Amazon. The ability to input your child's name, favourite colour, animal and food and have this information incorporated into the output sounded fantastic. Sadly, the reality is disappointing.
The songs available are quite frankly pathetic. There is no melody as such, it's just words set to random notes. The name, colour, animal etc. are just sound clips that appear in the middle of the song in spoken voice while the music stops. So for example, in the case of my son, the "friend" song goes roughly as follows: "Me and my friend... (pause) Theodore! (pause) (song continues)". The animal song goes: "I'd like a... (pause) cat! (pause)... please, it's my favourite animal".
I understand that the personalisation technology is limited (particularly for the names as there are hundreds), but they could have at least recorded a full line for each animal, colour etc. For this particular name (Theodore) there is a rising intonation, making each instance sound like a question.
The instrumental songs are terrible in their own right. They sound like elevator music versions of the songs, perhaps "jazzed up" by a bored musician? You can't sing along to them, and then what's the point?
The best feature of this toy is the name spelling "song". The puppy is also quite cuddly. But otherwise I cannot recommend this and wish I hadn't bought it.

Save Our Sleep: Helping your baby to sleep through the night, from birth to two years
by Tizzie Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars A lot of questionable content but useful information too, 21 Oct. 2014
Readers of this book should be aware that it is very controversial (as can be seen from other reviews) and that the author seems to suffer from foot-in-mouth disease in that she does not express herself very eloquently and often comes across as quite heartless and crude.
I will disregard the controlled crying method as that has been sufficiently covered by other reviews.
Some of the other contents of this book are most peculiar. Particularly the instructions to cover your child with up to 15 (yes, you read that right) layers of bedding. These detailed instructions are not even printed in the book but available for download on the author's website - it makes me think that the book's publisher put their foot down and refused to print such (potentially harmful) advice.
It is not completely useless, though. The book contains detailed schedule suggestions for babies of various ages. I found this incredibly helpful as a new mother who had no clue. Up until reading this book I had let my son sleep whenever and wherever he wanted, not encouraging or discouraging sleep at any point. I had no idea how many hours he was SUPPOSED to be sleeping, so this book was very helpful in that regard (turns out he wasn't sleeping enough and was a much happier baby once I started putting him to bed as a part of a daily routine).
Also, although we didn't follow this book's advice to the letter, what we did use was very helpful. My 7-month-old son now goes to bed smiling, falls asleep within 10 minutes without making a peep and sleeps 12 hours straight. I would call that a win.

May Contain Nuts 2015 Calendar (Calendars 2015)
May Contain Nuts 2015 Calendar (Calendars 2015)
by Nancy Rose
Edition: Calendar

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm, I dunno, 5 Oct. 2014
I want my wall calendars to show Monday as the start of the week so my options are quite limited. Squirrels are cute so I figured this would be a good choice, especially since I have a small child. However, even though it's OK, I don't like it as much as I thought I would. Because the squirrel images are often larger than life, the picture quality is not always the best. Some of the poses/settings are also a bit odd.
It would do, but I will keep looking and will probably replace this with something else before 2015 comes around.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2014 4:06 PM GMT

Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder (Colours May Vary)
Munchkin Fresh Food Feeder (Colours May Vary)
Offered by BabySecurity

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, sadly not useful in the long term, 5 Aug. 2014
In terms of use, this is brilliant. My 5-month-old happily spent an hour munching on a banana with it. Seeing his eyes light up as he discovered that he was able to hold his own food was fantastic.
The problem is that these things are pretty much disposable. Try as I might, I have not been able to clean them sufficiently to use them again. What a shame.

Withings Pulse Wireless Activity and Heart Rate Tracker - Black
Withings Pulse Wireless Activity and Heart Rate Tracker - Black
Offered by japanese samurai sell

1.0 out of 5 stars Keeps crashing and losing data, 29 Jun. 2014
First of all, I generally love Withings products and have been using their scales without a hitch for years. The Pulse, however, was a disappointment. I used it for five days and not a single day's activities were fully and completely recorded. At least once a day I would pull the Pulse out of my pocket, press the button, see that nothing was happening, press the button again (it is not at all difficult to fail to press it hard enough the first time around) and see the dreaded "Hello!" on the screen, followed by a daily step count reset to 0 and time set to 3.00am. Sometimes I got lucky and the Pulse had uploaded the data to the app in a scheduled upload cycle before crashing, but most often it had not. It was particularly frustrating to wake up in the morning and press the button to switch the sleep mode off, only to be greeted with "Hello!" and no overnight data whatsoever.
When the data was present, it was accurate and interesting, particularly the sleep analysis. I currently get up several times a night due to a small baby, and this had been accurately recorded. However, the reliability of the device was far too poor to even consider continuing its use. Withings customer service has been unresponsive about this issue, so I gave up and got a refund instead.

Medela Night Time Sleep Maternity and Nursing Women's Bra
Medela Night Time Sleep Maternity and Nursing Women's Bra
Price: £11.10 - £11.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this soft, lightweight bra, 30 Dec. 2013
I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant so I cannot comment on the nursing use of this bra, but for the purpose I bought it (to hold breast pads in place at night and to offer light support), this bra is excellent. Particularly love the high cotton content. Could be worn out and about as well, although obviously it's not a sports bra by any stretch of imagination.
I was a bit concerned about sizing. I am currently size 34E/F and comments about how this bra runs small were a worry. However, size Large is a very good fit. For what it's worth, the packaging size chart suggests size Medium for 34E, but the Large is certainly not too big. What's more, the band is fairly snug, which is a rarity in nursing bras - with some other types, I've had to take the band in with a sewing machine to get any support at all.
I will be buying more of these!

Private Conversations in Neverland with Michael Jackson
Private Conversations in Neverland with Michael Jackson
by William B. Van Valin II MD

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely surprise, 4 Aug. 2013
I'm always a bit leery of books written about Michael Jackson that are self-published. Usually it means sub-par content, little of which is factual in any way. This time, however, I was very pleasantly surprised; one gets the impression that the book was independently published to retain complete control of the contents, even if it meant a much smaller paycheck. I'm sure the author could have had the book published by a publisher had he chosen to do so.

As nearly all self-published books, this one has its fair share of typos and awkward grammatical structures, but no matter. The contents are worth it for sure. This is as close as you'll ever get to visiting Michael in Neverland (unless you did so yourself, you lucky thing). Despite the detailed recounts of the conversations that took place between the author and MJ, the book does not feel like a breach of trust. Any specific things mentioned might have been said in a public arena. Kudos to the author for his good judgment in this regard!

The book might not be of much interest to people who are mainly interested in Michael Jackson the megastar. There are few references to his work and all that goes with it. This book is about Michael Jackson the person. If you, like me, prefer the person to the personality, this makes for lovely reading.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2013 6:37 PM BST

Behind The Mask: What Michael Jackson's Body Language Told The World: 1
Behind The Mask: What Michael Jackson's Body Language Told The World: 1
by Craig James Baxter

2.0 out of 5 stars Preaching to the converted, 3 Jan. 2013
Don't get me wrong: I am absolutely pro-MJ. I'm as pro as they come. But to claim this book is impartial is simply dishonest.
It reads very much like a university course paper on the basics of non-verbal communication, and indeed, what credentials does the author have? We don't know. The arguments and references are hand-picked to support the author's opinions, and anything that conflicts with this is swept under the rug. Any time that Michael Jackson displays non-verbal signals of deception or conflict, for instance, this is explained away somehow (as an exception to the rule) or simply ignored.
This is not to suggest that MJ was a particularly deceptive person or that he routinely lied, but I can guarantee that when being interviewed, knowing he was being watched by millions, he was not as truthful and open as this book indicates. No-one would; you wouldn't, I wouldn't.
Sure, the text may be exactly what a fan might want to hear, but if it's not objective, what's the point?
This is not a sound scientific text and I can see why it was independently published. I am astonished that the book has so many rave reviews.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2014 10:53 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3