Profile for amateur_photoman > Reviews

amateur_photoman

Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Slate
Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Slate

4.0 out of 5 stars Great incentive for changing your lifestyle, 3 Mar. 2014
I bought the Fitbit to help me lose weight, but in partnership with the online dashboard the fitbit has shown me not only why I wasn't losing weight but what I needed to do in order to lose weight - in effect, change to a healthier lifesyle! By monitoring not only your exercise but also your sleep pattern & what you eat (and how much!) you can see at a glance how bad/good your lifestyle really is. No more pretending that you're only eating a few calories each day!
So why not 5 stars? Well, for it to work you must have the incentive to wear the fitbit, to sync with your online account, and to (truthfully) enter your food intake. (By the way, it would be nice if it also monitored e.g. heart rate or blood pressure.) . Syncing the fitbit and then entering & checking required information takes time. Still, if you're serious about losing weight, then the fitbit is definitely worth considering.

Pirate Adventures 2: ghost island
Pirate Adventures 2: ghost island

1.0 out of 5 stars dreadful spelling spoils a good game, 4 Dec. 2013
I spent ages looking for a boat or an oar ("scull") only to find, from aggressive random tapping brought on by sheer frustration, that I should have been looking for "skull". How many more minutes will I waste looking for objects with similar spelling errors?

RAVPower® Element Portable External Battery Charger / Power Bank (10400mAh, iSmart, Dual USB) - Black
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars The ideal 'spare battery', 27 Jun. 2013
I rely heavily on my phone but I can't always recharge it as I'm not always near an electrical socket. I had thought of buying an extended battery for my phone bu this product is a much better choice, for two reasons: 1. When I change/upgrade my phone I can still use this product. 2. It effectively replaces 7 spare phone batteries for my current phone. The product doesn't ship with a mains charger, but my android phone charger fits the charging socket so this wasn't a problem for me. There are 2 USB out sockets so you can use it to charge 2 devices at the same time, and you can charge just about anything - the two leads provided fit my android phone & my tablet (but you can plug in any USB lead). Well worth a consider if you're looking for something to keep your phone/tablet/iPad/whatever charged & working for longer.

Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography
Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for beginners, 12 April 2012
Afraid of all those dials & buttons on your camera? Only using the 'automatic' function? Then this book is for you! It takes you step by step through your camera, explaining in simple words & photos what the different settings do, and when & why you should use them. But rather than focussing on one camera & showing where the controls are for that camera the author concentrates on the effects gained by using a camera's options, leaving it up to the user to find the specific function on his/her own camera.

Taking the reader by the hand, the author doesn't try to dazzle with technology or bamboozle with terminology but instead breaks the world of photography down in to easily digestible topics, each one with its own chapter. The chapters are simply written, easy to understand, and the authors uses photos to show how much difference can be achieved with a photo by applying his teachings. This approach is ideal not only for learning about photography but also for quick revision when about to undertake a project.

This book has made me realise just how powerful my camera is, and how easy it is to improve my photographs by one or two tweaks of the camera's settings. Well recommended!