Profile for P. Poon > Reviews

Content by P. Poon

P. Poon

Page: 1 | 2
Born to Run: The hidden tribe, the ultra-runners, and the greatest race the world has never seen

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspires me to be a better runner and perhaps even try to be a better person!, 21 Dec 2013
A really good book, it opened my eyes into a topics like human evolution, the way we were built to run, the way we've been brain wash with clever advertising and marketing by shoe companies and how if we strip it all back to basics, throw on some old trainers, get out and just go for a run, it could possibly do more for not jus our health, but for society and fellow human beings....

Intrigued? Then go and read it...

The Laws of Gravity
The Laws of Gravity

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, makes you feel sad and think about what would you do?, 10 Sep 2013
A book that reveals the ups and downs to family, life, love and friendship. It made me think that there are 2 sides to every story and whether you were on Nicole's side or Ari's side, I could see both perspective and wouldn't want to be in that position myself. A worthwhile read.

Breo Luminex Unisex Retro Cool Watch with LCD Dial and Blue Plastic Strap Unisex

4.0 out of 5 stars Super light and easy to use watch, 4 April 2013
I wanted to find a watch that I could wear when I was on holiday. As this particular trip involved being outdoors a lot as well as being in cities that were notorious for pick pockets, I wanted a watch that was inexpensive, easy to use and light in weight.

This watch fits the bill perfectly.

It has a background light that lights up the screen in the dark, shows the day of the week as well as the day of the month and time is in digitial format.
I found it easy to set up and even has an alarm option.

Healthspan Nurture Translucent Compact Face Pressed Powder SBF15 & UVA Protection.

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to get any powder onto your brush!, 4 Dec 2012
I thought it might have been a good item to have in my handbag as I'm forever shiny but this press powder sadly does not deliver.

Thinking it would be a good item as it was compact, came with a little brush and provided SPF15 & UVA protection. But when I opened up the item to use it, it was impossible to get any powder onto the brush. I even tried using one of my make up brushes and even that barely picked up any powder.

I bought 2 of the items as it was a great price point but it was a waste as neither items can or will be used.

Vibram Five Fingers Women's Wm Speed Trainer
Vibram Five Fingers Women's Wm Speed Trainer
Price: £75.62 - £104.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Be weary of fakes! These did not look like the genuine five finger Vibram that I currently own!, 14 Nov 2012
I just received my shoes in the post this afternoon and was already concerned when they came delivered (yes, they had been delivered by a reputable courier company parcel force) but the shoes came packaged in a squished up bag (no shoe box) that originated from China with no return address nor paperwork. I was left confused as I thought I was buying it from an authorised Vibram Supplier, I'm guessing this is not the case?!

What I noticed that raised alarm bells:

* Excess glue (drip marks) was still clearly evident on where the tread met the fabric, very badly finished.
* The rubber in which the shoe had been cut out from was not well cut and there is little bits of rubber trim still evident and hanging off shoe.
* I purchased the lace up Vibram running shoe yet the tag that was attached was for the Bikila Shoe.
* The whole shoe has a terrible factory smell (quite a common occurrence when it has come from China factories) and the reason why I know this is because I've dealt with a lot of Chinese shoe factories in the past through work.

I just know that this pair of shoes that I've received is very sub standard as I already own 3 other pairs of Vibram shoes and I can compare them.
But just to clarify, the current ones I own are also made from China - however I'm assuming they are made from a "bond fide" Vibram manufacturer and not some other copy cat company?

There is a big difference between the ones I already own and this pair. My other 3 pairs are well made, superior finish compared to this pair which I feel is an inferior product. I wanted to write this review as I wanted other people to be weary when ordering. Clearly there are items out there that aren't the genuine article.

If anyone wants to see photos of what I mean, do get in touch as I couldn't post them with my review.

I will be sending mine back for a refund.

*** Update -- 4th December 2012*** - I just wanted to let people know the major problems I had with getting a straight forward reply from the seller. There were major delays in reply from the seller after sending emails to them requesting details for sending back the goods. They would then say a returns label would be sent but in no definitive time frame then nothing would appear, it dragged on from the day I posted the original post - I've since had to file a claim with Amazon to try and get my money back. BUYERS BEWARE!

Brush by BeneFit Cosmetics Get Bent Brush
Brush by BeneFit Cosmetics Get Bent Brush

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great idea!, 6 Nov 2012
This handy little bent brush by Benefit is fantastic! I'm a massive liquid eyeliner fan and have been wearing it for many years and have had my fair share of mishaps and or odd lines from brushes that were dedicated for this one purpose yet did not quite live up to their name.

I love that this little brush is very precise when I tried it out the other day. The brush did not load up too much eye liquid and went on very smooth and precise when I was drawing it on my eyelids.

Highly recommend this brush, I'll be mentioning it to my clients!

Injinji Performance Original Weight Micro Socks-Black-S
Injinji Performance Original Weight Micro Socks-Black-S

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for cold weather!, 6 Nov 2012
I have become a converted "Vibram" runner over the past 12 months and found them to be amazing. I've never ran with the vibrams wearing socks as I didn't feel I needed them and surprisingly my shoes never suffered from any odours! (I do wash and air dry them regularly)

However, I do run in winter and have found that having an extra bit of "layering" on my feet in the forms of these performance socks have helped.

Pros:

* Keep your feet warm and more insulated in the UK winter months
* Keep feet a little dry as any added moisture seems to be wicked away from the skin
* Additional padding or thicker stitching on parts say (near the bunion prone areas) are helpful to prevent rubbing and blisters

Cons:

* Price - can be more expensive then normal socks of course!
* The toe seams can be a little odd. I don't think this is necessarily a faulty but rather we all have different length and sized toes so there's bound to be a slight fit issue. I bought the small size and have found my fourth toe can only wriggle half way up the toe section of the sock with fabric leftover. I've overcome the problem by either cutting a little into the seam and or folded it down when I've gone to put my shoe on (both seemed to do the trick without discomfort)

Emsa BASIC 504916 Cake Dome 33 cm White Opaque Translucent
Emsa BASIC 504916 Cake Dome 33 cm White Opaque Translucent

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to transport my cake in the car!, 11 Oct 2012
I was looking for something to transport a cake that I was going to make for a friend's lunch. It needed to also be able to fit inside a fridge.

This one seemed secure to hold a cake and having tried it out today - it works well!

A simple "click in" lid locks and hold into place and it's very light to carry around. Nice big size to accommodate most cake sizes.

ASICS Women's Gt 2160 Deep Purple/Purple/Lilac Trainer T154N3635 5 UK
ASICS Women's Gt 2160 Deep Purple/Purple/Lilac Trainer T154N3635 5 UK
Offered by Whirlwind Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for a reputable brand and shoe, 12 Feb 2012
My brand of choice for a pair of running shoes are normally ASICS, New Balance and Mizuno. This pair I bought from ASICS were super light without compromising on the arch support (which I need) as well as good ankle support and padding around the heel.
Because of the lightness I felt I have more agility when running. The extra cushioning on the sole makes the jarring of running on hard surfaces so much easier.

The style and colour I chose (purple and white trim) was great value at £54.99.

Good price point, not a bad looking shoe and very comfortable. I would recommend this product.

QUALITY METAL TIE RACK WITH NON-SLIP 'GRIPPY' COATING - Holds 12 plus ties - Lovely gift
Offered by Hangerworld

5.0 out of 5 stars Now that's what I call good customer service!, 22 Sep 2011
I first placed a review on this item a couple of days ago mentioning that it was a good, sturdy item that could hold multiple belts but that there was (what I thought) a minor design fault in that the hanger came separately and when I had to put it together it removed the protective rubber ends but unfortuntately the first comment was removed!?

Nevermind...

I did want to say this; as soon as someone from the company saw the comment, they didn't contact me - however they did send (very promptly, might I add) a replacement (with the hook attached :)) and I hadn't even asked for one! Now that's what I call good customer service!

Well worth the purchase.