ARRAY(0xa4a8c564)

Psychonauts (PC)
Psychonauts (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great concept - bags of fun!, 15 July 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Psychonauts (PC) (Video Game)
Wow - what a game! Psychonauts has a real quirky plot with each section of the game bringing a completely new playing-style. It really would be difficult to get fed up with this game!

It very much reminded me of the sinister fantasy/fairytale style you get with a lot of Tim Burton animated films. Also the style is uncannily similar to the film 'Coraline' - I wonder if anyone else has noticed this similarity?

My only complaint - and the only reason I didn't give this game 5* is that the menu system has been poorly converted from the X-Box version. The main character's circular itinerary menu is quite easy to use if you wish to select an item from the usual 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions but the whole thing becomes a lot more tricky if you wish to select items from the diagonal sections of the menu. It is really not fair to dwell on that though as it is such a small point and certainly shouldn't put you off playing the game!

Darwinia (PC CD)
Darwinia (PC CD)
Offered by Planet Games And Gadgets
Price: 1.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately quite disappointing, 15 July 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Darwinia (PC CD) (Video Game)
I recently purchased this game as it was recommended to me by Amazon and the customer reviews were excellent.

After reading the reviews I wasn't expecting the graphics to be up to much at all but I must admit I was pleasantly surprised! The game has a real deliberate retro-style and the midi soundtrack at the start really sets it off. I was very excited when the game first began and it all looked very promising.

A few hours into the gameplay I found it repetitive, slow and really quite difficult. I gave it a fair slog but I honestly have no desire to continue with this game.

Yes it is stylish, quirky and original but I have to say that, for me, it just wasn't all that much fun.

(This version comes with a Darwinia keyring - which was one of its redeeming qualities!)

Beyond Good & Evil (PC)
Beyond Good & Evil (PC)
Price: 3.41

4.0 out of 5 stars I have never been this engrossed in a game before!, 15 July 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have just finished playing Beyond Good and Evil for the second time. I have to say it is probably one of the most enjoyable PC games I have ever played!

In my opinion the game has an ideal balance between combat and stealth and there are a few head-scratching problems but none that are too difficult to work out! Although the graphics are slightly dated now this really doesn't detract at all from game play. The characters are lively, the game creates a real sense of urgency and peril and even the cut-scenes and dialogue are quite enjoyable!

My only criticism is that there were a few 'timed runs' across obstacle courses which were VERY difficult and it can become very frustrating as there is no 'Quick Save' option - you have to reach a designated post before you can save the game. Also the final boss was a little bit infuriating and only after referring to the online walk-through was I able to defeat it. I have no idea how people could succeed in this game without having a peek at the walk-through to be honest!

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable game and I honestly cannot wait for the sequel!

Machinarium : Collectors Edition (PC/Mac DVD)
Machinarium : Collectors Edition (PC/Mac DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and good fun!, 15 July 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have just finished playing Machinarium and have thoroughly enjoyed it!

It is only a Flash game but don't let that put you off - even though the graphics aren't the best out there it is still very interactive and the concept and artwork are very quirky and cool.

Although there is nothing particularly unsuitable for children in this game, it is perhaps a little bit difficult for young'uns - I FREQUENTLY had to refer to the walkthrough when I got stuck! This wasn't really a problem for me though and didn't really detract from my enjoyment of the game.

A lot of the mini games and puzzles which you need to solve throughout the game are quite challenging and some are similar to the non-verbal reasoning questions you would find on an IQ test. I felt as though I was playing a game but also doing a bit of 'brain training' at the same time! Hurrah!