Profile for N. Cannon > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Vans Mens Ferris Low-Top VVHKC2C Black/Black/Charcoal 12 UK, 47 EU
Vans Mens Ferris Low-Top VVHKC2C Black/Black/Charcoal 12 UK, 47 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Vans Mens Ferris Low-Top (Apparel)
Why didn't I buy Vans years ago?!!! As soon as I put these on, my feet just sighed with relief, as someone with wide feet I've gone from brand to brand, Adidas, nike, New Balance, Vivobarefoot, Converse, and only the specialist minimalist running shoes with wide toeboxes have offered me any comfort, and of corse Clark's, but if you want anything with some level of style, the choice has been minimal ( in more senses than one) Vivobarefoot have some great shoes, but are very expensive .
These shoes offer great comfort, straight out of the box, look great too. Job done.
As the Beach Boys sang "take good care of your feet" I intend to heed their words, and so begins my collection of Vans!

Ricoh GR Expert Compact Digital Camera - Black (16MP) 3 inch LCD Screen
Ricoh GR Expert Compact Digital Camera - Black (16MP) 3 inch LCD Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Pocket sized perfection!, 27 Oct 2013
Having had a Panny Lx3 for several years , which has been my everyday, everywhere camera, I bought a Canon 600D DSLR to shoot my sisters wedding, after falling in love with the results, but increasingly hating lugging a DSLR and lenses around, the DSLR has started gathering dust because of its impractical size, so after lusting after the Ricoh GR1s/r etc 35mm cameras for when I'm shooting film, the Ricoh GR (APS-C) is almost as close as I'm going to get to a full frame pocket stealth machine in digital form for now ( no doubt a full frame version will emerge in a few years) so after deciding to downsize to the Ricoh GR, I'm going to ditch the DSLR format, and while I may miss it for the flexibility of shoving a 135mm 2:8f or a 17mm or even a 50mm 1.4, my back isn't !
After giving the GR a test at another wedding, I feel confident that this is going to be a real workhorse, with it's fast lens and 28mm field of view, it caught the majority of shots I tried to get ( the ones I missed more more likely my fault) and it's great fx range gives some really fantastic, and not gimmicky film processes, the B&W and cross-process got some serious use, and the high contrast B&W will give lovers of Daido Moriyama a taste of his signature look!
The high ISO shots aren't brilliant, they're ok in colour, but in B&W they give a real filmic grain, something that I love, so already, I'm happy !
While I've only used it for a one full day, and that is a full 12hrs travelling from London to Paris, then on to a wedding and use indoors, outdoors, with flash etc... I'm really happy with the versatility and power of this camera, it really is small, and fitted in the jacket or pocket of my slim fitted suit! It's also very, very well made, works right out of the box ( after a charge of course!) and it's very easy to understand...
So, a massive thumbs up from me !
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2014 12:53 PM BST

After Earth [Blu-ray] [2013]
After Earth [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Will Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars The stuff of nightmarzzzzzzz., 28 July 2013
What started off with great promise, ended up being just half a movie, or a 1hr short story stretched to feature length.
What was probably a tight, lean, poetic f(l)ight for survival in script form, has gone the way of every other post 6th Sense M Night movie, which is a real shame, because at it's core, this is a very intriguing premise! having read the back story that leads to the film, it looks like the studio were afraid of fleshing out the back story and putting it on screen.
A Failure in my eyes, and I so wanted it to be good! It's a very minimal, and zen like movie, but that's it's downfall, not a great deal happens, maybe if the cinematography had been more experimental, and the characters more engaging, it could've done something interesting! there was no drama, I didn't feel anything for the characters.
In another directors hands, this could've been a taught, nerve wracking journey, Darren Aronofsky, Jim Jarmush, Neil Blomkamp, anyone but M Night! it needed something other worldly, not the usual CGI fare ( while some of it is fine, it just wasn't expanded on enough) But, what do we get? the Usual Hollywood, homogenized mush..... bland, risk free, served on a plate.... please, do something interesting!
Thankfully Elysium will be here to show us how to do thought provoking sci-fi....

Skelethon
Skelethon

5.0 out of 5 stars Down from a huntable surplus to one., 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Skelethon (Audio CD)
To my ears, this has to be the best thing I've heard for some time, both lyrically, and musically.... A less densely produced sound, that breathes new life into his always stunning lyrics, lighter, funkier more syncopated... poetic beats indeed.
I've always liked Aesop, his albums are dense, layered affairs, this time however, I love Skelethon, there's not a dud track on there, and it's been on repeat for months in my headphones.
It would be an insult to just call this a rap album, it's more, much, much more, it share's kinship with Tom Waits and the beat poets, as much as it does with anything labelled rap.
Skelethon is a great album.

Vibramİ Vibramİ FiveFingers Men's Kso Trainer
Vibramİ Vibramİ FiveFingers Men's Kso Trainer
Price: £71.56 - £112.77

5.0 out of 5 stars My feet love them!, 20 Mar 2013
I already have NB Minimus trail shoes. And the amazing vivobarefoot breatho's, but needed to get some beach shoes, after looking around and not finding anything I liked, I thought I'd use it as an excuse to get some KSO's, I could at least use these for other disciplines, other than once a year on a beach or in the sea.

*First impressions,
A struggle to get on, due to my squished little toe's years of abuse by normal shoes andits resistance to splaying out fully! Some toes splaying exercises have helped, as has plenty of practice getting these on and off, getting there, but slowly!!

*Fit
Following the online measuring guide proved accurate, so no problem on sizing, but due to everyone's unique feet, my toes have a little room compared to my big toe which fits perfectly, but I suspect after more strengthening work no my toes and feet, the last 2 toes will uncurl and stretch out more.

*Keeping stuff Out
In general, yes they do, although sand, being sand, gets everywhere! But hardly an issue,,when you can now swim and stand with confidence that you're not going to get your feet ripped apart by coral, or stand on a sea urchin or other nasties. swimming was fine,,they stayed secure through as much vigorous kicking as I could muster. Walking over rocks and submerged jetties was fine, no slippage.

*Running
I took these for a few dawn beach runs, along the beach, then on to a track leading to the main road which had plenty of stones and debris ( golfball size and down), I felt several instances where the KSO's didn't protect my feet enough, so on my next run I had to switch to my NB Minimus trail shoes, which did.
But I'm hardly a barefoot veteran, so I'm not to worried about this, in all other instances I've enjoyed the experience of running in these. I tend not to overdoe my barefoot runs, less is more for me at the moment until I have strenghtened my foot and calves fully, a 5-10min run in these, instead of a 20-30 runn in the NB Minimus or vivobarefoot breatho's is sufficient for my purposes, considering I would be doubled up with back pain in conventional wedge running shoes, the barefoot technique has worked wonders for me, after years of trying to get back into running with conventional, heavily cushioned shoes.

*Stink foot
Others have commented on a cheesy smell, I can concur, unfortunately,,that the KSO's start to smell all to quickly! But a simple was with soap seemed to do the trick, others have used diluted bleach and a soak, but the smell was soon gone.

*Socks
Don't buy the Nike 5 toed socks! The toes aren't long enough to fit all the way in the toesofnthe KSO's!

New Balance Men's MT00CO Trainer
New Balance Men's MT00CO Trainer

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight in every sense, 19 Mar 2013
While I love these shoes, they are no way going to last the distance of any other equivalent minimalist shoe, I've hardly hit 50miles and already the slight padding around the cuff at the ankle has started to come away from the shoe! Hopefully a bit of glue will sort this out, but it really shouldn't be happening.
On the plus side, there's plenty of room for my wide foot to splay out, and like many minimalist shoes, they don't need wearing in, and I haven't had any rubbing which I usually do with other shoes. They are incredibly light, so much so, that its akin to running in socks, and give enough padding for those wishing to move to a more minimalist running regime, without totally dispensing of any foot protection.
However, these are not trail shoes, they do not grip with anywhere near the same sureness as say, the vivo barefoot Breatho, I've used them on the same runs as the Breatho, and they don't compare at all! I've used them recently walking on a forest trail, and they don't like any moisture on a hard surface, they become slippery underfoot. I use them for road runs instead. If they introduced slightly more sturdiness to the shoe, ands with a more aggressive sole like the Breatho, then I think they may being to a winner, until then this is a fair weather shoe, looks good, feels good, but can't cut the mustard when asked to do so!
If I may make an analogy..... In Crocodile Dundee, when confronted by a potential mugger who pulls out a knife, mick Dundee says, " Call that a knife?!.... now THIS is a Knife!!!" And pulls out a huge hunting knife... Well this NB trail shoe, is up against the Mick Dundee of trail shoes, in the vivo barefoot Breatho, now that is a trail shoe!!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (DVD + UV Copy( [2013]
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (DVD + UV Copy( [2013]
Dvd ~ Hugo Weaving
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected delight!, 4 Jan 2013
Like many, I'd read the scathing reviews and criticisms pouring down on the Hobbit pt1, how could such a small tome be stretched so thin over 3 movies? How, indeed!
I don't know, maybe it's me, my love of sprawling epics, Ben-Hur, Spartacus, The Fall of the Roman Empire, Kingdom of Heaven, etc.... I enjoyed the steady introduction of characters, the pacing seemed fine to me as the 13 dwarves arrived, and their history was fleshed out in flashbacks, I'm not a LotR nut, far from it, I'd only ever read the Hobbit at school some 30+ years ago, and only picked up LotR after the movies, which we'd seen in the cinema each time, and now own the extended blu-ray set, but I can comfortably say that The Hobbit sits nicely with the series, lighter and more fun in tone, but no worse for it.

As for the characters, Martin Freeman is fantastic as Bilbo Baggins, Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakensheild too is another standout, but the Dwarves are collectively great fun for the most part, I'd even go as far as saying the dynamic between Hobbit and Dwarves is improved over the Hobbit / Human one in LotR as there are none of that green screen shrinking to scale issues to grate on your eyes. Sylvester McCoy successfully brings his Doctor Who like eccentricities to the role of Radagast the brown.
The White Orc looks like a nasty piece of work too, infact I didn't have any issues with any of the characters ( other than the sac under the Goblin Kings chin, as did many others it seems!) and the film moves breezily to its conclusion,,it may not have the weighty gravitas of LotR, but it's a very enjoyable romp all the same, my only issue is that maybe it could have been made as a 2 parter instead of 3, as I'm expecting it to step up a gear on each movie now, if they can do it, great! Still, 80% is a good score. I wish I'd had these movies around when I was a kid, it would have blown our tiny little minds to see the written words brought to life so vividly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2013 10:01 AM GMT

Thunder And Consolation
Thunder And Consolation

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw and powerful, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Thunder And Consolation (Audio CD)
I remember buying this from Woolies (of all places)! Having never really heard anything by them, I just felt compelled to buy it, struck by the simplicity of the album cover, fast forward to 2012, some 22 + years later, it's still as poignant, and as valid as it was then, another conservative gov in power, stamping the little people into the margins.
A much maligned band, written off as crusties, the music is a raw and poetic folk, inflected with punk energy that bypasses any trends and styles of the time, and just speaks to the heart and moves the body, anybody failing to be moved by Green and Grey, Vagabonds etc... probably hasn't got a heart....
I love this album, I can smell the earth for some reason when I listen to it

It's A Wonderful Life
It's A Wonderful Life

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dog that ate your birthday cake..., 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: It's A Wonderful Life (Audio CD)
Discovering Sparklehorse's first album by chance in a 2nd hand shop was an intro to his beautiful, often whimsical, sometimes angry, but upbeat world.
I feel this is his best album, a warm and crackly peephole into his world.
As someone who had a dog that ate his birthday cake when I was maybe 5, this is the the kind of sepia tinged, faded polaroid hazed, trinket gathering collection of prose, that somehow connects on a deep level of melancholy, but feels like a warm hug infront of a fire, at the same time while supping on a whiskey.
Gone, but not forgotten.

Blood & Chrome: SyFy Channel's Sham Interpretation of Battlestar Galactica Continues: 1
by Andrew Fullen

1.0 out of 5 stars Living in the past, 3 Dec 2012
All I'll say is, Star Trek, the original series was cancelled after 3 series, now, was that considered a failure?
BSG 1978 was a poor attempt to cash in on on the Star Wars phenomenon, and the series, well, even as a kid I thought it was very average!
The recent update was a fantastic re-imagining, loved by critics and fans alike, it may have tailed off and disappeared down some religious allegorical black hole towards the end, but there's nothing that warrants the amount of blind hate and bile filled ranting that this person is aiming at BSG ( modern version) the bloke needs to get a life, seriously....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10