Profile for JRL Smith > Reviews

Content by JRL Smith

JRL Smith "Les Smith" (Leiester UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Precision MSF Radio Controlled Bell Alarm Clock, Silver
Precision MSF Radio Controlled Bell Alarm Clock, Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a bit disappointing, 2 Oct 2009
The clock works very well as a clock. I work shifts so every 2 days my shift changes along with my getting up time. I currently use a mains driven radio alarm clock to wake me, but I'm very conscious of the fact that if there is a power cut during the night, my alarm won't go off and I'll be late for work. So, I bought this battery operated,radio controlled alarm clock-and it does what it says on the box - displays the time to within a second in a million years. Being an analogue clock the time is easy to read, but that is where it falls down. With a digital clock the alarm time can be set to the minute. I tried to set my morning alarm with this clock for 5.45 am - the alarm went off at 4.20am - not too pleased with being woken up 25 minutes before needed.
As a clock its brilliant, but as a alarm clock it's very disappointing. It would be nice if the next model could have a digital panel where the alarm could be set accurately, rather than the crude mechanical mechanism trying, and failing to give an accurately timed alarm.
Having said that - the bell on the alarm is fabulous. When mine went off at 4.20am, a few minutes later a fire engine with some very bewildered firemen on board went roaring past - and the fire station is a mile away from my house.

PowerPlanet Battery Travel Charger: Panasonic CGA-DU07, CGA-DU14, CGA-DU21
PowerPlanet Battery Travel Charger: Panasonic CGA-DU07, CGA-DU14, CGA-DU21
Offered by PowerPlanet Europe
Price: 8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Extends Usefulness of Camcorder., 6 Mar 2009
I have a Camcorder which uses the batteries that this charger keeps up to strength. Although it came with a mains charger, there was no way - until now to charge the batteries on the move. Now I have two mains chargers so after a good days Camcording I can top up two batteries at once instead of one, and if it looks as if I might be running out of power whilst out and about I can plug in the car adaptor and `Carry on Fiming`. Very useful product.

Just William
Just William
by Richmal Crompton

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia at its best., 6 Mar 2009
This review is from: Just William (Paperback)
I can't claim to have been alive when the `William` books were set, but I was a smal boy in a Leicestershire village in the 1950's and spent most of my time out in he fields with my pals. In my bedroom at home my parents had provided me with a bookcase of - rather elderly - books. I avoided one of them like the plague - it was entitled `William the Conqueror` - and I thought it was stuffy historical tome. When I eventually got round to looking at it more closely I found it was a magical book that transported me into another world - not so much different to my own. From then I was `William Brown` fanatic. I read all the stories - and tried to act out some of Williams antics - I failed usually.
So when I saw this 10 book boxed set I bought it in eager anticipation to re-live my childhood. I work shifts so there is an opportunity for me to do a bit of reading around 3am. I took the first book - Just William - to work, read three quarters of it, and left it in the locker room to continue my read the next night. Someone nicked it!!
I'm not sure whether to be annoyed because my 10 book set is now a 9 book set, or to be pleased that I have created another fan of my childhood hero. I know that whoever took it liked it - they haven't returned it. Fortunately I have 9 other books of `William` to read - and if they are as brilliant as the part of volume 1 I managed to read I won't be disappointed.

Mapp & Lucia: The Complete Series [DVD] (1985-1986)
Mapp & Lucia: The Complete Series [DVD] (1985-1986)
Dvd ~ Prunella Scales
Price: 11.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic period piece, 2 Mar 2009
I was always a fan of Mapp & Lucia when it was on TV, so I looked forward to being able to see it again on DVD. I wasn't disappointed - Mapp and Lucia at each others throats - in the most polite and delicate way, with Nigel Hawthorne as Georgie as a slightly one sided - slightly camp - referee. This was one of the very few 3 DVD sets that I just had to watch in its entirety. Like a good book I just couldn't put it down after only one DVD.

Looks Like A Brown Trouser Job [DVD] [2010]
Looks Like A Brown Trouser Job [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Monty Pythons' Graham Chapman
Price: 8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Rubbish, 22 Mar 2008
Graham Chapman was a part of the genius of Monty Python. Sadly if I had seen this DVD before seeing Monty Python, frankly I wouldn't have bothered viewing the latter. It consists of Graham Chapman trying to be funny in front of an audience - and in my view - failing miserably. I love Monty Python, so looked forward to seeing a solo performance from Graham Chapman. I was disappointed - and I think, so will you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2011 10:18 PM BST

PowerPlanet CGA-DU12, CGA-DU14, VW-VBD140 Panasonic High Capacity Compatible 2 Year Warranty Camcorder Battery for PANASONIC NV-GS6, NV-GS10, NV-GS17, NV-GS21, NV-GS22, NV-GS25, NV-GS250, NV-GS27, NV-GS30, NV-GS33, NV-GS35, NV-GS37
Offered by PowerPlanet Europe
Price: 14.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 2 Mar 2008
Having bought a Panasonic DVD Video Camera complete with one 1150mah battery, I was anxious to get some backup batteries. I bought a couple of these Power Planet compatible batteries - of 1800 mah capacity to ensure I had enough power for my videoing. They charge up in the Panasonic charger - and incidentally in one I have bought to charge them in my car, and they run fine. I don't need to recommend them - I've just bought three more!

Bound For Glory [DVD] [1976]
Bound For Glory [DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ David Carradine
Price: 6.21

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Rubbish, 23 Aug 2007
This review is from: Bound For Glory [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
I bought this DVD in the hope that it would enhance my knowledge of Woodie Guthrie. It didn't - not only did it wander about leaving me totally confused, but it didn't have any of Woodies Songs, except as background music. The worst part about it is that a third of the way through it suddenly decides that night is the best time to portray Woodie Guthrie and for the rest of the film all one can see is darkness and an occasional glimpse of the subject of the film badly portrayed by Michael Carradene. Absolute rubbish - only partially saved by the fact that is cheap. Even so I've thrown five quid down the drain.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2013 12:32 PM BST

Classical for People Who Hate Classical
Classical for People Who Hate Classical
Offered by betterworldbooks
Price: 12.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally lost the Plot, 13 Nov 2006
Your reviewer ` A music fan` seems to be trying to undermine what this CD set is all about. Perhaps he should read the title ` Classical music from the ill-informed`, before complaining about a completely irrelevant title change for one track. I suspect that if it had been entitled ` The Old Spice Advert toon` he would have made a similar complaint. If these CDs by showing the `hoi polloi` (his words not mine) that tv advert music is based on real life classical music by real composers, and inspires them to explore classical music further, then it will have done its job. It's a pity that it hasn't enlightened your reviewer with a little tolerance towards his contemporaries - hoi polloi indeed!

Actually it's quite a pleasant set of CDs.

Lite-on 5045 Dual Format DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Drive
Lite-on 5045 Dual Format DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars A misunderstood star, 14 Mar 2005
Well I read all the reviews before buying the Lite-on, and got totally confused. Half the reviewers said it was the best thing that had happened in their lives, and the other half said they were returning it due to its many faults. What I didn't find was a reviewer that said it was O.K. - did its job, but didn't inspire. The Lite-On 5045 does inspire your passion. I suspect that there may be a few models out there that don't come up to spec., but my experience is that the one I bought by far exceeds my expectations. I am currently engaged in transferring my Videos to DVD - an incredibly easy task when you can record direct to the hard drive - edit the content - and then burn to DVD. Lip sync on recording is said to be a problem - not on mine it aint. Having read the reviews outlining the problems with this DVD recorder I downloaded the service pack that was supposed to solve the problems, and recorded it to a CD to await the arrival of my Lite-On 6045. When my DVD recorder arived I found I didn't need the service pack because everything worked exactly as it says it does.
This DVD recorder is the state of the art. Buy it now before some museum snaps it up, and it gains the status of being a National Treasure - with an inflated price to match!!

Peelers to Pandas: An Illustrated History of the Leicester City Police
Peelers to Pandas: An Illustrated History of the Leicester City Police
by Ben Beazley

5.0 out of 5 stars A Slice of Social History, 19 Sep 2004
This is a book telling the history of the Leicester City Police Force from it's inception in 1836 to its amalgamation with the County force on 1st. April 1967. I was a Constable in my first year with the force when it amalgamated, so it holds many memories of times long past, and colleagues fondly remembered, for me. However, it will appeal to anyone with an interest in the Social History of Leicester during the latter part of the nineteenth and the first half of the twentieth century. With tons of photos and a very informative text by Ben Beazley, who joined the force the year before I did, this book is well worth a read by people who have no connection with the Leicester City Police Force, as well as being a unique historical reference for anyone connected with the Force. Produced in high gloss paper this book will add quality to any bookshelf it sits upon, and it's content will take you back to a time when Police Officers commanded and expected the respect of the public. A must read.

Page: 1 | 2