Profile for Mr. A. Watt > Reviews

ICM 1/350 Kronprinz WWI German Battleship # S003
Offered by eModels uk
Price: 20.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Patience and care required, 4 Aug 2014
This is a reasonably priced model, but has certain drawbacks. There is a multitude of small fragile parts that require extremely careful handling especially when removing them and trimming where they were joined. The hull comes in 1 piece, but warping means that you need plenty tape and clamps to ensure a best fit when securing the main deck. Rather than using fancy, more expensive moulding techniques, this kit has opted to mould several small parts that need to be combined in order to provide the level of detail. As such, it isn't really suitable for a novice. The smaller parts are quite brittle and easily broken. The fit of the parts varies from good to poor so that some trimming, sanding, drilling etc. is required.
ICM have a number of different German WWI battleship kits that are all based on the same kit.
Although not in the same league as the best kit manufacturers and there are problems assembling the kit, for the money, it provides plenty assembly time and a fairly decent looking model at the end of it.

August DA100C - 10" Portable Freeview TV - Small Screen LCD Television with Multimedia Player - Digital TV for Bedroom, Kitchen, Caravan... - Battery (Not Inc.) or Mains Powered
Offered by Daffodil UK
Price: 164.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A good TV - pity about the remote, 10 July 2014
I purchased this small TV to replace an old 4:3 format 10" one by a different manufacturer that I used in my workshop and had developed a problem with its sound system. Knowing how useless the supplied aerials have been with other digital TVs, I re-used the indoor aerial that I had connected to my faulty TV and connected it to the TV before connecting the power supply and switching it on. The installation process was simple to follow and the scanning process picked up all the channels. The picture was surprisingly clear, though given the size, it was no surprise to find the sound a bit tinny. I used a USB memory stick to try a scheduled recording. The process wasn't obvious, but following the instructions in the supplied manual it was reasonably straight forward. I checked the result on the TV and it worked well. I then moved the memory stick to my main computer which has a 24" monitor and was able to confirm that the recording was good.

I really wanted to score it 4.5 stars. There are two let-downs. The remote requires a good solid press on the buttons and there is a lag in response so it tends to feel unresponsive. Secondly, the menu system appears to have a logic all its own and will take a bit of getting used to before I'll be able to discard the manual. I have still to try recording to and viewing files from a USB hard drive.

For the price it represents good value and is a nice little TV with the ability to record programmes directly or by scheduling.

Miniline complete Shed Guttering and Downpipe kit III Black (up to 12 metre - 38 feet)
Offered by EEZY Plumbing
Price: 139.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Should be 4.5 stars, 27 Jun 2014
The kit does not include instructions and therefore assumes you know what you are doing. This didn't bother me, but it might have been useful for some customers. This isn't why I've not given the full five stars. The reason is that the tight fit resulted in two of the gutter linking pieces suffered broken clips before I started to pare away some of the plastic from the guttering where it gets clamped by the clips. Fortunately there were enough of these connecting pieces supplied in the two kits I'd ordered to allow me to complete both projects. I didn't need all the components as I used water barrels to collect the water. Over all I'm pleased with the product and would buy it again if I ever needed to.

Extra Large 6ft Wooden Garden Bridge Ornament Decorative Feature Teak Stained For Ponds Streams and Borders
Offered by UK-Gardens
Price: 239.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Bridge, 27 May 2014
That's what my wife said when I was half way through assembling it. It was dispatched as two packages and the first to arrive was the hand-railings which included the basic instructions for the bridge as well as all the necessary hardware.
The instructions indicate that two people are needed for the task, but I was able to do it on my own despite my age. Assembly wasn't trouble free. three of the nuts on the 16 coach bolts used to secure the railings to the main body of the bridge couldn't be finger tightened. 2 of them cleared the affected section of the bolt by using a spanner. The third simply turned the bolt. I used a spanner on the rectangular section of the bolt which again allowed me to get the nut past the problem section of the bolt. Having successfully assembled one parapet I encountered a problem where having all but one of the bolts on the second railing finger tightened, I couldn't get the last bolt to feed through the pre-drilled holes so I had to drill through the deck beam using the hole in the railing as a guide.
The railings come as 4 end panels and 4 horizontal pieces to link them.
I opted for the large bridge so that there would be enough room between the railings to allow me to get my wheelbarrow across it as I needed a practical bridge rather than an ornamental one.
I've still to make a foundation for the bridge so I can move it to where I want it to be, but as the wife said, it is a nice bridge and I consider it to be good value at the price I paid.

Good Ideas Outdoor Garden Door Canopy, Awning (1172) Protects from Sun, Rain, Sleet or Snow!
Offered by Good Ideas
Price: 54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 21 May 2014
The recently replaced back door to my garage had already started to warp and split. Because it opened outwards, there was nothing to protect the door from the elements. Considering various options, I decided to try out this canopy. I managed to assemble the canopy - once I wetted the rubber seal with soapy water. I did need a second pair of hands to hold the canopy in place when I marked the position of the holes in the wall for the anchor bolts. The 2 lowest holes can be drilled through the side brackets, but the shape of the brackets means that the upper ones need to be marked and drilled. Having a single Perspex sheet, it should prove to be more robust than those that comprise a number of panels.

THE BRISTOL EASILOAD GREEN METAL WHEELBARROW 85 LTR / 150KG
THE BRISTOL EASILOAD GREEN METAL WHEELBARROW 85 LTR / 150KG
Offered by DJM Direct
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a builder's barrow, 21 May 2014
It is not solid enough for the rough handling that a builder's barrow has to endure, as the pan is too thin. On the other hand, it is a decent robust wheelbarrow for domestic use. While trying to open the box, the contents inside were rattling freely. Once opened, there was a slight dent in the pan. The reason for 4 stars is that the braces at the front have been set to the wrong angle. Tightening them as supplied will distort the pan. All in all I'm pleased with the product, but would have preferred a thicker gauge of metal to be used for the pan.

Revell Pirate Ship Plastic Model Kit
Revell Pirate Ship Plastic Model Kit
Offered by Model Hobbies
Price: 55.02

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of kit for the money, 2 April 2014
A purist might argue that it isn't a specific ship and the detailing is exaggerated. OK so it is a model of what a pirate ship might look like rather than what a specific one did, but at a scale of 1:72 you get a decent sized model. Each of the 32 deck cannons have 10 components. The rigging has plastic blocks. Unlike most plastic model ships that have 2 hull halves and a deck, this one has various deck sections and bulkheads that go together first in much the same way as wooden models. I've only just started assembling the kit, and given the vast number of parts and the complexity of painting, it will be many moons before I'll be finished. I suspect it will work out at about 1 a week by the time I'm finished, which I see as very good value for money. Even if I manage to build it in half the time, it is more than worth 2/week.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2014 7:50 AM BST

Garden Reed Fence Screening 4m x 1m
Garden Reed Fence Screening 4m x 1m
Offered by KD & Jay
Price: 9.78

4.0 out of 5 stars See-through screening, 2 April 2014
Each screen came wrapped in its own carrier with handles. The horizontal wiring is fairly thin so I'm not sure how long they'll last. I managed to install most of the screens by myself, but needed a help to secure the units to the lower wires of the fence. It was quite windy on the day, but the screens coped OK as the openness of the screens meant the force of the wind was dissipated. I'm pleased with the resulting appearance, but will have to wait to see how long they remain in that condition. Provided they last a few years, I'd be willing to buy them again.

Batman: The 1943 Serial Collection [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Batman: The 1943 Serial Collection [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Lewis Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories, 2 April 2014
It is hard to be subjective about any Saturday matinee serial. Watching at home, you don't have a theatre full of kids cheering the appearances of the hero or the booing and foot stomping when the villains are on screen. Nor do you have an usher or usherette trying to keep some order amongst the unruly horde. Anyone who hasn't endured those Saturdays will not appreciate these serials in the way that those of my generation will. Not as camp as the TV series, it is closer to that than the recent dark knight version of Batman. The plots are fool of holes such as a news reporter who is suspicious of Bruce Wayne being Batman, but doesn't recognise that fact that they both drive the same car. It is best to suspend reality and enjoy them for what they were - extended action B-movies.

Wings [Blu-ray] [1927] [US Import]
Wings [Blu-ray] [1927] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Charles Rogers
Offered by Moref Designs
Price: 7.94

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye-opener, 2 April 2014
I bought the disk to see what Clara Bow was like. Needless to say it satisfied my curiosity even though her role wasn't the main focus of the film. What makes this film is the way it has been made. Forget about digital special effects, when you see a plane crash, you see an actual plane crash. Instead of a cast of thousands you get a cast of several thousands. What looks like toy tanks from the air are real tanks on the ground. If all that wasn't enough, the innovative way in which the images have been filmed simply beggars belief. Given that it is a war film with dog fights in the sky, the inclusion of special sound effects add an extra touch of realism absent from many action films of the silent era. Of course there are the usual overly dramatic scenes needed due to the absence of dialogue that slow the plot at times - as with all silent films, but that only serves to make the action scenes even more exciting. A film I must watch again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6