Profile for Renfield > Reviews

Content by Renfield

Renfield (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Sony Xperia Z Low Profile Covert Branded PU Leather Wallet Case / Cover / Pouch / Holster - Black
Offered by ClickJunkie

5.0 out of 5 stars What a surprise!, 14 May 2013
I haven't expected much looking at the price and having used all sorts of poor pouches for other phones.
This one is actually really nice. It's much thinner than it looks on the pic and has a magnetic latch. Absolutely made for this phone
and I hope it will last despite it's thin design. If it does for at least 4-5 months I'll have another one.

Wicked Or What Carpet Hair Remover
Wicked Or What Carpet Hair Remover

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't find any use for it., 14 May 2013
Not good for the car seats (intended use), not good for carpet, not good for clothing - I can't find any use for this but maybe others have more luck?

Duronic KS5000 Large Digital Display 5KG Kitchen Scales with 24.5cm Diameter Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl and 2 Years FREE Warrantee
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy!, 22 Feb 2013
I agree with the positive reviews. Initially I wasn't sure because of the bowl. However, it works great with other bowls cups etc.
Handy item and looks as if it can be cleaned well. I hope it will last.

Stainless Steel Dough Scraper by Turtle Products
Stainless Steel Dough Scraper by Turtle Products
Offered by eMarkooz

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 22 Feb 2013
Can't see how I have lived without it. It seems such a trivial little item but it is really useful in the kitchen and of course baking. Great!

Apollo 45 x 35 cm Rubberwood Pastry Board, Brown
Apollo 45 x 35 cm Rubberwood Pastry Board, Brown
Offered by best deal 4 u

4.0 out of 5 stars For baking?, 22 Feb 2013
It's a great kitchen board for the price...but... am I missing something? It's way too small to be seriously useful for baking. It also desperately lacks a lip that keeps it in position when handling dough. I suppose this is my fault as the picture shows it hasn't got a lip. I guess I hoped it would be large and heavy enough to cope without. Not so. it's small, light and surprisingly smooth and slippery. I give it 3 stars because it is cheap and useful for small pastry work and other tasks in the kitchen.

update 05/13
plus one star as it is really easy to clean
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2013 8:08 PM GMT

Gtech AirRam Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Gtech AirRam Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by Alex Shanks Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed..., 22 Feb 2013
...because I just expected more from it. Yes it is light and easy to grab for a quick clean up but....the saved time is overshadowed by the amount of time you spend cleaning the brush roller and spot cleaning with a smaller vac afterwards. Seriously, how do the ladies out there cope? Do you all have short hairstyles? Anything longer than chin length is coiled up on the roller. I like the idea of the device, I really do but it just lacks suction power. On carpet it has a tendency to spread dust/hair balls around. Dried sand or soil from the dog don't make it to the dust compartment as they are too heavy. This means anything heavier than dust or hair will fall into the gap between compartment and suction head. Emptying the compartment well, it IS messy as often reported by others. Ironically I use our handheld Dyson to clean up the mess caused by emptying the Airram. I can confirm that this vac does not cope very well with dog hair on carpet. The compartment lid doesn't click in reassuringly.
The device is not finished. It got stuck in a prototype stage and at the moment....to me it is a glorified sweeper and that for a price that defies sanity. I really wanted to like it as I'm disgusted by Dyson's designs, quality and strategy. However, it is still our Dyson handheld that gets used most of the time.

Hard floor 7/10
Carpet 4/10
Junk factor 8/10

13/06/13 UPDATE
Another star added for its usability in lightly contaminated office/commercial environments. It's really quite good for that. In fact, it defines its very narrow window of applications even more: Open floor areas with little furniture and floors lightly contaminated with fresh, non smelly or sticky dirt. It wins when it comes to cover large floor spaces in as little time as possible. It fails miserably when it comes to more complicated and smelly dirt as you may have in the kitchen or in households with pets. For a real deep cleaning you do need more power. With this you basically kindly invite the dust mites out the pile, have them entertained by turning them around the brushes a few times and finally drop them off securely where they came from making sure nobody is hurt. And it doesn't do well with long hair. It will pick it them up alright if the brushes are freshly cleaned but they mainly get curled around them rather than ending up in the compartment. Very annoying. The filter performance is abysmal. Allergy sufferers, don't even think about this machine. If you survived the vacuuming bit you will more than likely pass out when emptying the dust. Just took mine apart because of a terrible odour I couldn't get rid of. To my surprise I found the electric guts and the whole inside of the machine covered in a thick layer of balls of very fine dust. Smelly dust. It's beyond me how such relatively simple machine has to be put together in such over complicated way while neglecting the important things like sealing the inside off properly. Anyway, I gave it a good clean with our new Miele 8320 (which is in my opinion pretty much the holy grail what vacuums concerns and I'm done with bagless but that's another story) wiped all the inside and put it back together. It's future use will be in the office and customer areas, only. In essence, if you use this machine as you would a sweeper and don't expect more from it you should be fine. Standalone, hell NO! Is it worth £200+? NO! Get a refurb for £100 if you have to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2013 12:25 PM BST

PEDIGREE EASI POOPER SCOOPER WITH 20 BAGS
PEDIGREE EASI POOPER SCOOPER WITH 20 BAGS
Offered by Pet Connection

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for the very faint people..., 21 Nov 2012
Leaves too much on the ground. I'm afraid but there's nothing as effective as using your own hands (with a bag around it that is).

Pingi Rechargeable Dehumidifier Drying Bag & moisture trap, 450gr for your home, caravan or boat
Offered by Home and Hardware Shop Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 21 Nov 2012
The application: 1200mm base unit in our kitchen.
Annoyed by the damp odour coming out of it when open I decided to measure the humidity inside. The reading came up with a shocking 80-85% at about 14-17C. These were average values in a 5 day period. Perfect breeding ground for mould! I have to add that the unit is situated on the outside wall. So the area to dehumidify is what, about 0.42m3, let's call it 0.5m3.
According to the manufactures recommendation I should get away with their smallest bag size. Since I thought it's better to be on the more powerful side and especially if size doesn't
matter, I'd better go for the big boy.

After one week I can report that the product had zero impact. I dried ('recharged') the bag once and there was some steam coming out of it...nowhere close to the stated 180ml of water though. Up to now I'm disappointed and it turns out to be nothing special. This is a bag full of the silicate stuff you get with little electrical gadgets, you know those little paper bags and probably with similar capacity. What I don't understand is, how on earth can they spec this product for use in 'home, caravan or boat'? Perhaps they mean drawers which, of course, you can have in the home, caravan or boat. I'll keep trying and see if it gets better. At the moment, 2 stars.

Duronic HV102 Black Digital Display Mica Panel 2.5KW Radiant Convector Heater with thermostat and Remote control - Oil Free Heater - Heats up in 1 Minute + 2 Years Free Warrantee
Offered by DURONIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Good low price heater, 6 July 2012
Heats fast and efficient. I would have liked the thermostat being more sensitive (heating only kicks in target temp minus 2C) and perhaps altogether a little more robust built but at that price you can't complain. Had an issue with the first item, sent it back and received a flawless one after about a week. Oh and I am missing the third power option on mine - there are only two, probably 1.5 and 2.5KW? The description needs updating I guess. Time will tell how well it lasts but it seems to be a good deal so far.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 6:00 AM GMT

Mitsubishi Electric MJ-E16VX-E1
Mitsubishi Electric MJ-E16VX-E1

4.0 out of 5 stars Now THATS a dehumidifier!, 3 Dec 2011
This review is from: Mitsubishi Electric MJ-E16VX-E1
Background: Bought a desiccant dehumidifier (Eco-Air DD122FW-MK4) just over a year ago, mainly for drying clothes.
It was a lovely appliance, dried like mad no matter what temperature. It soon became a family member.
Sadly, when it came to whole house humidity control it proved not so ideal. It was way too expensive to run for prolonged
times (620W!), the low fan modes were virtually ineffective yet power hungry and the automatic humidistat never worked
right and cut off at too high humidity levels. Like all desiccant types the fan kept blowing even in stand by mode.
After its main job of drying laundry had been taken over by a new tumble dryer, the dehumidification of our 4 bed home
became even more a matter of energy efficiency.

There was simply no way running a power greedy tumble dryer and a desiccant dehumidifier in the same house. Once more, the research had begun. After a few days I found that all my questions seemed to be answered by an Ebac dehumidifier.
I never really intended to break the £200 wall for this so I needed a lot of reassurance before buying one.
The 2850e model fitted the bill nicely with its 21l capacity and smart control system, promising to be very energy efficient. I wanted that 5 year warranty and went with Ebac direct. Their customer service was not overwhelming and I had the feeling talking to untrained people. Going for the free carriage option was a mistake as it took a week.

When the unit finally arrived, the initial impression was that it was not very nicely put together and looked somewhat used. The casing just did not seem new and when looking through the grill I could see bent areas in the cooler matrix.
For the price I was expecting a neater looking machine. The three replacement filters I had ordered with the unit were shockingly simple and did not seem to match their price tag at all.

Although the 'Made in the UK' quality claim started worrying me a little I was impressed by the amount of water it sucked out of the air, about 3L per day, keeping in mind that we had a dehumidifier running before and the humidity levels had been almost under control anyway with an average of 65-70% rh.

The next confusing thing to experience was the lack of air flow coming through the grill, despite the noisy fan. I thought it may be faulty but when I saw the water extraction I just accepted the fact that it hardly blew any air out and that drying occasional loads of laundry seemed not to be an option. After a few days I noticed that it was really on the noisy side and I was pretty sure that it got worse during the days of use.
That was worrying. Also the intermittently rattling front door concerned me. I started looking online again to see what the impressions were of other people. I read stories about users that went for the mighty 5 year warranty as I did but some were quite upset due to being repeatedly without their dehumidifier when it had to go for repairs. I must have missed these reviews in my first research! It was the deal breaker.

My initial observations paired with the fear of having the unit going for repairs all the time as soon as the 21 day return period had expired seemed unacceptable and boy, did I want a manual humidistat control all of a sudden!

We've had it for a week when I knew it had to go. Interestingly, the Ebac customer service seemed much more pleasant when it came to the return procedure!
Since I now knew better what I needed I quickly discovered the Mitsu as the only viable option. I soon spoke to the
'Dry It Out' guy who answered all my remaining questions patiently and who assured me that this simply is a fantastic dehumidifier. I ordered directly and got my unit the very next day. Good company to deal with.

Unpacking. WOW! Mitsu / Ebac - think of it as a Jet compared to a single engined aeroplane! Quality. Sturdiness. Quietness. Exact humidity control.
I expected a much smaller unit but must say it was almost a relieve as the size helped my believe in its capabilities. The following day I was a little concerned by the 10% differences in readings compared to various external hygrometers. Another day of use somewhat levelled the readings but there is definitely a general difference of 5-10%.
I like to believe the on board hygrometer is just much more sensitive and detects and reacts to the slightest changes quicker while the external ones are still trying to adjust. The internal Japanese meter has an accuracy of +/-1% whereas my external Chinese ones are accurate +/-5%. I tend to trust the internal one more. It's a shame the low temperature function works continuously and is not linked with the auto humidistat. Also, it is very unclear what humidity levels the easy dehumidification function reaches. When I did tests it started operating only well above 60%rH as per internal hygrometer, which means the levels of other rooms in the house easily reached 70%+rH while using this function. I am not sure about the usefulness of this, that's why only four stars.

After almost a week of use it's on stand by most of the time while keeping the house between 50-55% rh. It blows air like our old desiccant only quieter and much colder but it is still great for drying laundry, too. Not to forget it is extremely energy efficient. In fact, it is fun to use. It currently takes about 4L out of the air within 2-3 days. It is portable yes but I have to say it is quite cumbersome to carry around in the house. That's me being tall and having no problems with heavy weights. My partner would only carry it around if she really had to and I'm not there. That's why we leave it at its designated and supposedly most effective position.
The Ebac went back but what happened with the desiccant? Well, I wanted to sell it but it's rapid drying facilities with warm air usable in small rooms even in close to freezing temperatures is a gadget one should not part from. It is so portable, we just keep it as an emergency dryer.
What's the moral of the story? Buy the best. In the long run it will save you time, money and nerves. Also keep in mind that sooner or later the running costs will overshadow the initial investment anyway and all that counts then is energy efficiency.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2012 11:54 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2