Profile for C. Gillies > Reviews

Content by C. Gillies

C. Gillies

Logitech Harmony 1100 Advanced Universal Remote Control (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by PreisCompany
Price: 269.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth it, 28 Feb 2010
This is a very expensive remote, and that is all it is, you have to program it very carefully if you want it to work the way it is advertised, one touch activities are excellent if you have the time to tweak all the controls that you will need. I have had this for several months now and I can't imagine not having it, particularly now that I have started heading down the home automation route (lights, blinds etc.). The harmony 1100 is fantastic if your a bit of a gadget freak or lazy (perhaps even both), I would also recommend the ps3 adapter as I use it as my home theatre unit for bluray and streaming video from pc, the harmony is great for controling playback without feeling like you are using a games console.
The only gripe I have with this product is that it needs to be taken out of the charging cradle to be used, the two solutions I have found are unplugging the power supply so that you can sit the cradle near you for one handed use or using a different power supply with a 3v output so it charges but doesn't override the screen with a charging symbol (found this out when I used my Remington cable by accident, I thought it was just a firmware update until I realised).
The 1100 is also much more reliable than the 1000 from what I have read, I have never had the remote crash or freeze like what has been reported with the 1000.
I would also point out that if like me you are a guy with a girlfriend who is not a big fan of gadgets or technology in general, you may wish to gloss over the price as you will have difficulty explaining why that money wouldn't be better spent on her.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2012 7:14 AM BST