Profile for Maximus1 > Reviews

Content by Maximus1

Maximus1 (London, UK)

WD TV Live Media Player
WD TV Live Media Player
Offered by Digital Components Ltd (dclstore)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but perfectly good, 29 Aug. 2012
Lots of people have written in-depth reviews about this WDTV Live box, but here's a few thoughts about my particular setup and things I wanted to know beforehand that might be of use to someone.

My setup
- Wired connection from WDTV to router, which is attached in turn (again via ethernet cable) to a NAS. No wifi at all in my setup. Effortless playing of 1080p content, zero problems getting the content from the NAS whatsoever.
- It can take a while to reacquire the NAS after going into Sleep mode. Just 30s or so.

User interface
- Slick, but ever so slightly laggy. Definitely not a problem or a deal breaker and faster than some I've seen. Just not silky smooth.
- Scrolling through a longer list of titles it can take a moment or two for the cover art to catch up.
- I'm pretty sure you can change the 'wallpaper' on the default screen, if such things are important to you, but haven't really looked into it too much at the moment.

Playback
- As mentioned above, absolutely zero problems playing 1080p content at high bitrates.
- Haven't come across a file format yet that it didn't like.

ROM flashing
- I haven't found a way to install WDLXTV on this particular model as yet. Looks like WD closed some of the holes that allowed it. If you're looking to do this then be very careful you choose the right model.

Remote control
- The bundled remote is alright. Gets the job done, but is definitely not 'premium'. Rubbery buttons and such.
- On the other hand, the iPad and Android WD Remote apps work really well so there's no need to use the remote if you don't want to (plus the keyboard on the app is easier to use than the on-screen one).

Apps
- Spotify, YouTube, iPlayer and Netflix all work well. The other apps... well.. haven't really bothered with them. HD content from Netflix and iPlayer is available as well - it's not bluray quality but it's quite good.

Overall
If you can't wait for the ATV3 to be jailbroken (if it ever can be) and you're looking to play a lot of MKVs then it definitely does the job and does it well.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Packaging good, cable not so much, 29 Aug. 2012
I bought this as an extra cable to have around the house, using it to plug in various different bits and bobs (WDTV Live box, laptop, etc) as and when needed. Unfortunately, it stopped working properly after only a few months.

Sound transmission was always hit and miss and then gradually video stopped working as well. I spent a long time checking my bits of kit as I assumed the fault was in a setting in the laptop, or a problem with the attached box or similar. Eventually replaced this cable with a £10 one from a supermarket and all the previously 'broken' kit started working again. It's entirely possible that I just got a one-off duff cable but maybe the emphasis on cheapness means that quality control is not what it could be.

The Frustration Free packaging is good, but I don't think I'll buy another AmazonBasics cable again.

Surface Detail (Culture series Book 9)
Surface Detail (Culture series Book 9)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good so far... but Kindle edition has text problems, 12 Oct. 2010
Really enjoying the book so far... however, the Kindle edition I'm reading has some distracting problems with layout and missing punctuation and even missing words. I haven't compared with the print version to see if this is a problem with the text itself, my download of the book or whatever, but it takes you (or me, at least) out of the flow of the story when you find yourself wondering what happened right at the end of

See?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2010 3:27 PM BST

Nemesis: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 2)
Nemesis: A Harry Hole thriller (Oslo Sequence 2)
by Jo Nesbo

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrill-tastic, 5 Oct. 2008
I'm sorry, when I saw the other review from my namesake in Italy I just had to reply; "too scandinavian"? "I have never been to Oslo so i felt quite neutral"? er.... right. Sense? This makes none. I've never been to 17th Century Paris but I still enjoyed the Three Musketeers. Obviously no-one had told me that to enjoy a story I had to have some first hand knowledge of the place.

Anyway, Nemesis is a great read and one of those books that you'll pick up and then realise that four hours have gone past (probably best not to read it on a short train journey in that case). Harry Hole's character and Jo Nesbo's fiendishly clever plotting put this head and shoulders above your run-of-the-mill crime fiction and I've no hesitation in recommending it to others. Yes, even if you've never been to Oslo.