Profile for Helen Lowe > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
5 Star Desktop Copyholder with Line Guide Ruler A4 Black
5 Star Desktop Copyholder with Line Guide Ruler A4 Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says on the tin!, 26 Oct 2014
arrived quickly and although I thought it didn't feel strong enough for the job,it actually is very good. It fits easily on the desk next to my computer screen, holds documents firmly and is easy to change pages while typing.

Karma and Reincarnation: Transcending Your Past, Transforming Your Future (Pocket Guides to Practical Spirituality)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read for anyone interested in reincarnation, 26 Oct 2014
I love this book - it is fascinating to read and has really helped me in my research into reincarnation. Helen

Birkenstock Unisex-Adult Arizona Sandals Black 7 UK
Birkenstock Unisex-Adult Arizona Sandals Black 7 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Birkenstocks never fail to please, 26 Oct 2014
About 18mths ago I tried Birkenstock sandals to help with the planter fasciitis I have suffered from for the last twenty five years.
I have tried everything - physiotherapy, wearing trainers ALL the time and inserts with arch supports. i can go months with no symptoms and then suddenly not be able to walk without crutches for months - is has been very upsetting and frustrating.
Then my daughter suggested trying Birkenstock Gizeh thong sandals because they have a molded footbed that provides excellent arch support. Over the years I had wasted so much money trying different shoes and inserts so I was reluctant to spend nearly £50 on a pair of Birkenstock. Quite frankly, it was like someone had waved a magic wand - my pain went in a matter of days - that was 18 months ago and I still haven't had a return of the pain.
Over last winter, wearing the Birkenstock Gizeh thong sandals in the house meant that my feet were cold, so I wore socks with them - not a good look but my feet were warm. And I bought white Gizeh thong sandals for this last summer which looked and felt great. I still put full-length inserts with good arch support in my trainers and boots etc and wearing the Birkenstocks in the house and in the summer - I even slip them on during the night to go to the bathroom rather than walk barefoot, I am completely pain free for the first time in years.
For this winter I decided to get Birkenstocks Arizona sandals so I could wear socks when it got cold. Only £33 and they are perfect and give me the same fantastic arch support. This review sounds like I've been paid to write it but please believe me when I say I haven't. I am a retired nurse and genuinely want to help anyone else who suffers with heel pain. I'm just so pleased to have found something that has given me back my mobility. Helen x

"Shut UP!" He Explained: A Writer's Guide to the Uses and Misuses of Dialogue (Classic Wisdom on Writing)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for writers of fiction., 9 July 2014
This is a really useful book with lots of valuable information regarding the very important topic of dialogue in writing fiction. There are lots of examples from some of the great authors and clearly demonstrated techniques for making dialogue instrumental in moving stories forwards and pacing the dialogue to create the best reading experience.

VonHaus Triple Desk Mount Bracket with Tilt, Pull Out Swivel Arm foR 15-24 inch LCD, LED Monitor
Offered by Designer Habitat

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 5 Jun 2014
I ordered this for my partner who works on the internet from home. It allows him to have three screens on the bracket and one on his desk. He is over the moon with them. So thank you.

Authentic ZORI Brand Japanese Tabi Socks (Black)
Authentic ZORI Brand Japanese Tabi Socks (Black)
Offered by NWS SPORTS

4.0 out of 5 stars good idea for wearing with toe post sandals, 5 Jun 2014
I know my title sounds weird because who would want to use socks with toe post sandals.

The truth is that I suffer with plantar fasciitis - a painful heel condition that I've had for years. It greatly limits the shoes I can wear and for years I have mostly worn expensive trainers with inserts to give me the arch support and good heel shock resistance. I can't even risk walking bare foot in the house.

But my daughter, who has been using Birkenstock toe post sandals for years to help her with her weak arches, persuaded me to try Birkenstocks as well. That was last year and since then my heels have been perfect. It turns out that the only thing I really need is a good arch support.

So how do the socks help?

For the last year, I've been wearing my Birkenstocks all the time in the house and in summer, out doors. But in winter I tried in vain to find warm slippers with good arch support so, I wore the sandals in the house in winter and my feet were frozen. These socks allow you to wear Birkenstocks so my heels are good and my feet are warm as well. It's not a good look for outside though - in winter outdoors I wear trainers or boots with arch support inserts.
Hope this helps.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2014 10:17 PM BST

Broadway Pink Nail Glue
Broadway Pink Nail Glue
Offered by Kiss Products

3.0 out of 5 stars expected better, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Broadway Pink Nail Glue (Misc.)
I've been using Broadway nails for years and I like the pink nail glue they supply with their nails but I was disappointed with this. The pot was very hard and I had to try and squeeze it to get any glue to come out.
I expected to be able to use this bottle for at least 10 applications of nails but it only managed 3 and that was with a lot of effort from me.
The glue that is supplied with the nails, although only about 1/6th of the amount in the bottle, lasts for about 4 applications.

I don't think this is the seller's fault - I may have been unlucky with the one I bought, but I won't buy this again.

The Portrait of a Lady - Volume 1
The Portrait of a Lady - Volume 1

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 5 Jun 2014
I've wanted to read Henry James's work for ages but keep forgetting. I was delighted when I went on Kindle and found the exact book I wanted for 'free'.

I've read various authors' comments on his work and how some authors use his work as their bible but for myself, I can't agree with that. Yes, it is a very interesting read and well worth the effort to compare the writing techniques in his day to modern writing. Henry James' writing style is beautiful but, to me, it felt like I was reading poetry rather than a fiction novel.

A fascinating read.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 17 April 2014
I have never read any of the Harry Potter books, only watched the films but when this came out I was determined to check it out.
So pleased I did, because really good the best read I've had for ages.
I can't remember another book that has made me laugh out loud like this one.

Misery
Misery

5.0 out of 5 stars Love his writing., 17 April 2014
This review is from: Misery (Kindle Edition)
I have read this book several times since it was first published but the two hard copies I had bought over the years were lent to friends and not returned.

Now I have it on kindle, so no one else can pinch it.

Page: 1 | 2