ARRAY(0xa64fad2c)

Profile for P. Johnson > Reviews

Content by P. Johnson

P. Johnson (Washington Village, England)

Body by Science: A Research Based Program to Get the Results You Want in 12 Minutes a Week
Price: 8.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book if you like high intensity training, 3 April 2013
I've read a few books by Mike Mentzer on high intensity training and been doing one of his routines for about 12 weeks with great results. I sat started weight lifting just over a year ago and have suffered tendonitis in both thumbs using high volume routine doing 4 sets of 10 reps on multiple exercises 6 times a week. HIT has been a breath of fresh air and the infrequency of the workouts has proved to be excellent for my thumbs. This book is more modern than mentzers with more science to back everything up. I am going to start alternating weekly between a mentzer split workout counting reps on a Monday and Friday one week followed by a big 5 workout counting TUL on a Wednesday the week after.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Great item, excellent value, good for the environment, 27 Dec 2010
I have just got my Kindle and am very pleased with my purchase.

I read a lot and, while I really appreciate the look and feel of a book and will miss the format, there are a few things that frustrate me about books:

1) I work in software development where text books are thick making them difficult to carry around and read on the bus/train etc. Also the books are obsolete after a couple of years and I am left with big thick useless text books on my bookshelf that nobody wants.

2) After reading a book I have no use for them... because of their weight making postage expensive they are difficult to sell for any profit on ebay and the waste from paper, not to mention the carbon footprint of the whole printing and distribution process, must hammer the environment.

3) When I go on holiday I always take too many books because I don't want to end up sitting on a beach bored with nothing to read for a few days. The books are heavy and take up loads of room in the suitcase and I just chuck them when I have finished them.

The Kindle is the solution to all these problems, along with a more convenient way to get a newspaper every day which, again, must be much better for the environment.

If I was making this purchase again I would maybe go for the version with roaming 3G rather than relying on a wifi network for connection... not a major issue but the roaming 3G would have been more useful than I initially though for things like getting newspaper delivered to kindle if out early or on holiday.

Brompton Bicycle
Brompton Bicycle
by David Henshaw

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book - Purchased a Brompton while reading, 27 Dec 2010
This review is from: Brompton Bicycle (Paperback)
The book is really good. I was interested in purchasing a Brompton anyway and got this book to find out more about them. The book is excellent and really hardened my opinion that the Brompton was the way to go rather than other folding bikes.

The book was smaller in size than I expected but the content is great and much more than I could find online about Brompton.

I would really recommend it to anybody interested in Brompton bicycles.

Mums Know Best: The Hairy Bikers' Family Cookbook
Mums Know Best: The Hairy Bikers' Family Cookbook
by Hairy Bikers
Price: 13.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent traditional recipes, not for the healthy minded, 16 Feb 2010
I really enjoyed the series for this book when I saw it on TV and the book contains all the recipes that were on there. I've cooked a few recipes from this book now and they have ll turned out really nice. I loved the apple and blackcurrant crumble, the beer battered cod and chips, the Pan Haggerty and the hong kong style sweet and sour pork. While the recipes are tasty and traditional though, there are lots of cakes, pies, battered foods etc so I wouldn't advise this for everyday food... maybe for a treat once or twice a week.

Jamie's America
Jamie's America
by Jamie Oliver
Price: 17.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cookbook For Somebody Trying Something Different, 23 Dec 2009
This review is from: Jamie's America (Hardcover)
Don't be put off by the reviews saying that this book isn't for beginners. If you like the sound of the recipes just give them a go.

I've never done much more with food than stir frys and warming up frozen pizzas but recently wanted to try out a bit of cooking. I just got married in Vegas and thought a bit of american cooking might be nice so I got this book.

It was an excellent choice. The first thing I tried was the Cornish Cowboy Pasties... turned out trickier than I thought with the pastry and a couple didn't quite look like they should have but they were all delicious. I've tried about 30 of the recipes, some have been a bit tricky but if you follow the instructions to the word and don't worry too much they turn out fine.

Some of my favourites have been the Gumbo (Surf and Turf is really tasty but my favorite is the Spicy Meat Gumbo).

I've seen good reviews of the Sher Ping Pancakes but didn't really think too much of them... they were quite tricky to make as well so I think it's the only recipe in the book that I've tried that I wouldn't advise anybody to try.

The Pizza with the big crust is really nice as is the Green Chillie.

Once you do a few recipes you end up with the spices and things like garlic and bay leaves etc in the cupboard so the first few recipes I did I had to do a bit of shopping but after the first few I just had to get the main ingredients in.

I'm Not There [DVD]
I'm Not There [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christain Bale
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious Tosh, 5 Aug 2008
This review is from: I'm Not There [DVD] (DVD)
Complete pretentious twaddle. Fell asleep after ten minutes. Dont watch this film you will never get the time back. I only gave it one star because Amazon won't let me give it zero.

Mcad/mcsd - Self Paced Training Kit - 70-300 : Analyzing Requirements And Defining Microsoft .net Solution Architectures
by MICROSOFT CORPORATION

1.0 out of 5 stars I would give this book 0 stars if amazon would let me, 7 Jan 2008
This book is complete rubbish for the 70-300 exam and should be renamed. It covers the MSF methodology really well, but I did the 70-300 exam this morning and, seriously, there are about 3 questions on the exam you could answer having read this book.

I passed the exam this morning, first sitting, and would recommend skipping this book entirely. I normally rate the MS Press MCP books as the best for the exams, but really would not in this case.

The practice tests included on the CD are absolutely 100% nothing like the exam.

Go for the Exam Cram 2 book for this one, it's the only book that comes close to the exam content and has a couple of decent case studies with practice test questions which are pretty similar to the exam.

Also, I would advise using the Transcender practice tests for this one... a little costly, but cheaper than a resit of the exam.

MCSD Analyzing Requirements and Defining .NET Solution (Exam Cram 2)
MCSD Analyzing Requirements and Defining .NET Solution (Exam Cram 2)
by Randy Cornish
Price: 24.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Best book for this exam, 7 Jan 2008
This is a great book for a difficult exam. Forget the MS Press book (its complete rubbish) and get this one.

I would also advise the Transcender practice exams alongside this book.

I used them both and passed the 70-300 first time this morning.

MCAD/MCSD Implementing Security Applications with VB.NET & Visual C#.NET Training Kit: MCAD/MCSD Self-Paced Training Kit (Pro-Certification)
by Tony Northrup
Price: 44.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for a difficult exam, 20 Nov 2007
This exam is really difficult, but this book is a great study guide for it. Covers the course content well and has much better practice exams than any other MCSD study guide.... 300 practice questions and they are pretty realistic.

I read this book and also used some practice tests from measure up. With this approach I passed the exam first time.

Also a good book for anybody wanting to learn more about .net application security.