Profile for The Inspired One > Reviews

Content by The Inspired One

The Inspired One (Kent, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Billy Blanks-Celebrity Cardio [DVD]
Billy Blanks-Celebrity Cardio [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billy Blanks
Offered by DVDpolis-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Billy delivers once again, 30 Oct. 2007
I have to be honest. I was indecisive about whether to buy this because I have a number of Tae Bo DVDs already and questioned if this would have enough new moves to make it worth my while. Well, I can honestly say that I am not disappointed.

Yes there are some moves which you can find in his previous DVDs but there are enough new ones to keep my interest peaked. The work out lasts about 40 minutes and was intense enough to raise my heart rate and cause me to sweat. As usual, there were plenty of straight jabs, upper cuts etc combined with a variety of kicks so your whole body is put through an energetic, fast paced work out. The music was up to date and complemented the workout well.

As usual, Billy was ebullient, motivating, engaging and continually urged you to push yourself harder. You really feel as if he is your personal trainer.

This DVD would suit someone who would like to increase their overall fitness and flexibility. If you are new to Taebo, there is an instructional section.

All in all, a great work out DVD that delivers what it promises and does not have narcisstic celebrity dullards cluttering up the screen with their annoying, inane chatter.

I did not give five stars because Everybody Get Ripped, for me, is the best Tae Bo DVD, particularly if you really want an intense, hard work out that leaves you exhausted at the end.

A Piece Of Cake
A Piece Of Cake
by Cupcake Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars An indomitable character, 1 Oct. 2007
This review is from: A Piece Of Cake (Paperback)
I finished reading this two weeks ago and after much reflection have decided to post a review.

This book demonstrates the indomitability of the human spirit because no matter how far we descend into the abyss of human misery, we can always find a way out.

Cupcake Brown found a way out of her directionless, empty, putrid existence and what amazes me, is the way she has turned her life around, especially academically, starting with 1+1.

On the surface she was a foul mouthed, angry, manipulating, fraudulent crackhead and drunk but beneath that, was a desperate young girl who had been abused as well as betrayed emotionally, sexually, physically and pyschologically.

My only discomfort with this book is her apparent reverie in her gangsta days of drive-by shootings and violent thuggery. However, on reflection, that is a testament to the power of this story. She told her story by honestly revealing everything in terms of the emotions, camaraderie and the sense of belonging that she derived from being with this tawdry group of people. It would so easy for me to condemn her for her revelations but without them, the book would not as impactful as it is.

Cupcake Brown is an indomitable character and if her book helps to turn around at least one person who is lost and in the depths of despair, it would have served its purpose.

Danceafreaka African Dance Workout [DVD]
Danceafreaka African Dance Workout [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kofi Dennis Adorsoo
Offered by InfinityBuys

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and fun. Your body will thank you for it!, 14 Aug. 2007
I really enjoyed doing this. The personal trainer is so full of life and passion for his art that he motivates you to keep trying.

The workout is divided into 4 sections. Warm up, dance moves, dance performance and cool down.

The unsual thing about this is that the music is provided by these guys in the background using hand-drums. The trainer shows you how to perform a number of steps and then you practise them. There are 3 other people performing the moves too. The moves are all based on African dance styles and involve using all parts of the body. Consequently, by the time you get to do the dance performance where all the moves are put together, who are sweating a lot.

I really enjoyed this because it is totally different from my other workout DVDs and I am learning how to perform some African dance at the same time as getting a great workout.

This workout is great for cardiovascular training, improving your flexibility and provides a wonderful introduction to African dance.

Urban Workout [DVD]
Urban Workout [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Uber cool!, 20 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Urban Workout [DVD] (DVD)
If you like dance routines, can pick up steps easily and like urban music, this one is for you. I really enjoyed doing this, even though I had to keep rewinding it in order to master the more complicated steps. The trainer is really engaging as are the two guys in her crew who really throw themselves into it. I was really hot and sweaty by the time I got to the advance routine so you get a good cardio workout too, providing you put in the effort.

There are 5 sections, obligatory warm up and cool down (though the trainer does seem to forget sometimes that we have a left and right side!). The dance routines are split into slow, medium and fast pace. With each successive routine, the moves become more complicated so if you have two left feet, you may struggle with this.

Also, you do not require a lot of space or props for this workout.

I would definitely recommend this to people who like to dance and workout at the same time.

Bodylicious - The Ultimate Dance Workout [DVD]
Bodylicious - The Ultimate Dance Workout [DVD]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute rubbish - a travesty - can't believe that I bought this!, 20 Jun. 2007
Please, please, please, whatever you do, do not buy this DVD. It is ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH.

Where do I start? Well, the choreographer looks as if he would rather watch paint dry more than be in this monstrosity. The music is bland, uninspiring and derivative. It has that dreadful Suzanne Cox who is just uninspiring and usually pops up in Z-rated fitness DVDs. The routines are dull, unimaginative and never explained fully. As for cutting edge moves and routines - puuurrrleeeeeeeeeese!

Why on earth did they make this travesty?

You have been warned. This is the worst dance exercise DVD by a marathon. Get Urban Dance workout instead. That is soooooooooooo much better.

Nell Mcandrew's Ultimate Challenge: Ultimate Results [DVD] [2004]
Nell Mcandrew's Ultimate Challenge: Ultimate Results [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Nell McAndrew
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate workout, 20 Jun. 2007
Fabulous workout for those who have a moderate level of fitness. If you are unfit, this will be too much for you, even though there are about 5 bail out sections are built into the cardio workout.

The great thing about this workout is that it does not waste time on unnecessary froth like other DVDs by slebs. This just gets down to business.

The other great thing about it is that you do not require much space - just one spot and a bit of floor space for the floor work. The cardio workout is interspersed with lots of squats so if you want to get your bum and thighs into shape, you will. The upper body work is intense and even Nell could not complete the full set of push ups.

There is an extra 20 minute workout for the die hard addicts but since half of it is stretching, you can take it or leave out.

All in all, an exhilerating, energy zapping workout. If this does not help you to improve your fitness levels, then nothing will!

Billy Blanks - Ultimate Bootcamp [DVD]
Billy Blanks - Ultimate Bootcamp [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billy Blanks
Offered by ELITEUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best, 20 Jun. 2007
There is no better personal trainer than Billy Blank in my opinion. Just when you think that he is peaked (Everybody get Ripped is stupendous), he manages to raise the bar again.

Be warned, only do this if you are moderately fit because it is hard. Usually he has a mix of fit and out of shape people on his DVDs but on this one, only the fit and toned ones are present. That tells you how hard it is.

I can run 5 miles, I work out in the gym and I am generally fit. The workout with the Billy Bands nearly killed me and I could not complete all the sets! Billy takes no prisoners with this workout.

If you want to be fit and toned, this is the DVD to get. It is awesome.

Music City Soul
Music City Soul

5.0 out of 5 stars There ain't no other like Black Butta!, 22 May 2007
This review is from: Music City Soul (Audio CD)
In terms of soul singers, in my humble opinion, Beverley Knight is peerless. The strength and range of her voice is simply breathtaking. This album stands as a testament to that beautiful gift with which she has been blessed.

When the album started playing, I thought I had gone back in time to the Stax era because the sound is so remininscent of that. All the tracks are great with really strong lyrics and tunes.

The outstanding tracks for me are

Ain't that a lot of love

After You

No Mans Land

Black Butta

Time is on my Side

Back to You.

I was wondering if Black Butta was her homage to Ike and Tina Turners' Nutbush City Limits because the opening sounds very similar to that. Anyway, it is a foot stomping track and as the lyrics says "spread it all over". This album is all over me and I cannot stop playing it - I love it!

David Kirsch's Sound Mind Sound Body - Ultimate Fitness Boot Camp [DVD]
David Kirsch's Sound Mind Sound Body - Ultimate Fitness Boot Camp [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Kirsch
Offered by Assai-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit for purpose, 19 Feb. 2007
I have done this workout several times and each time I appreciate just how good it is. The fluid and holistic way that he combines cardio with toning makes this a challenging workout. Also, it is not overly long so I can fit it in around looking after my twins.

I'm fairly fit and go running often as well as workout to Tae-Bo. However, a couple of hours after doing this workout, my legs were aching! I would recommend this DVD to those who are fairly fit, coordinated and want to be dripping with sweat after working out at home. You will not be disappointed.

10 Minute Solution: Kickbox Bootcamp [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
10 Minute Solution: Kickbox Bootcamp [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Keli Roberts is simply superb!, 12 Feb. 2007
I already have the Step and Step/interval training videos by Keli Roberts so when I saw this advertised, I thought, I would try it out. It is brilliant. I am quite fit but I found the leg workout and the fat blast quite challenging. Collectively, this is a very effective work out but if you are pushed for time, the fat blast will provide an effective cardio workout and the leg workout will elevate your heart rate as well provide focussed toning for those areas. The ab work out was intense and the arm workout will give you shapely arms and shoulders. The basic workout is a good warm up if you are fit but if you are a beginner, you will find it challenging.

All in all, an excellent workout DVD.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7