Profile for Brenda > Reviews

Content by Brenda

Brenda (Orange County, CA, United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Twisted
Twisted

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted!, 23 July 2015
This review is from: Twisted (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoy Uvi Poznansky’s poetic writing style. Rich, with depth and an artistic feel. These stories in Twisted are suspenseful and surprising.

Each piece is unique with a special unique twist. There is nothing common about any one of them. A great escape into the complete unknown. There is a special quality to the writing. Something you don’t come across often enough. A complete joy.

There is art in good storytelling and Miss Poznansky has what it takes.

Music Speaks
Music Speaks
by LB Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars MUSIC SPEAKS!, 23 July 2015
This review is from: Music Speaks (Paperback)
"The city thrums with an energy that can penetrate to your very soul. And the nightlife...well, the music scene here is legendary for a reason. There is nowhere else in the world like Los Angeles." LB Clark

Music Speaks, a collection of short stories by Christopher T. Grace, Ann Cathey, David Anthrobus, Pam Bainbridge-Cowan, Erin McGowan, James Clark, Laurie Sorensen, JD Mader and LB Clark. I love that 100% of profits will be donated to the MusiCares Foundation, a non-profit organization that helps musicians in times of need.

These stories are razor sharp. Biting. At the same time beautifully poetic moments that definitely struck a cord with me. A moving dedication of sorts. Sometimes music speaks and sometimes words speak even louder. Not sure? In this case, the words touched me without the music to accompany it.

These stories are sentimental, dark, alluring and even have some coming-of-age elements. I like that it is built of so many things but most of all the human element is at the forefront. Humanity while in the deepest despair. Each slice of life adding a new layer. Relatable, real and gripping. It was very easy to get lost into the language that is Music Speaks.

Sometimes there is no need for words at all, that is when the music takes over.

Quote from Erin McGowan's Save Me ~

"But I didn't talk to people anymore, because forced interactions hurt. They reminded me too much of the people who weren't there, or didn't have time to be with me. I'd discovered that there were tricks to dealing with a bad situation, and that was one of them. Another was keeping the voices in my head as quiet as I could, mainly through music. Listening to music kept my mind off my pathetic excuse for a life. It also kept that voice in my head, the one that urged me to end my life, in the background."

Odd and Odder: A Collection of Sensuality, Satire and Suspense
Odd and Odder: A Collection of Sensuality, Satire and Suspense

5.0 out of 5 stars Odd and Odder!, 22 July 2015
Odd and Odder: A collection of Sensuality, Satire and Suspense by K. S. Brooks and Newton Love is a compelling read that I didn't want to put down once I started. A griping mixture of tales from poetry to suspense that will grab your attention. Smart, clever and offbeat. Some bits read like music lyrics. Dark.

Oddities are what make this world interesting. Right? I love the quirky twists and the unusual turns I didn't see coming. A smooth read that kept me curious.

Quote from Dark Alley

What a day. I was fried to a pulp. Oh, that's beaten to a pulp. I guess that's wrong.

My brain was on strike and there would be no crossing the picket line.

The amount of corruption I encountered today was mind boggling. Everywhere I turned, I couldn't swing a dead cat around without hitting someone with their fingers in the pie. I couldn't trust anyone in the conundrum. Only KitKat-Kate, but she wasn't part of that picture...or,uh, the pie.
Whatever.

I'm A Rhodesian
I'm A Rhodesian
by Stephanie Lea Matulich

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm A Rhodesian, Nduna!, 21 July 2015
This review is from: I'm A Rhodesian (Paperback)
I'm A Rhodesian, Nduna by Stephanie Matulich is a touching tale about a young Rhodesian Ridgeback named Nduna. This is in the narrative of Nduna who tells us about his life in his first year and describes the love he shares with his owner in letters to his Grandma.

If you know anything about the love of an animal you will understand the intensity of this kind of unconditional love. It's enough to make you feel whole. Enough to fill your heart and any void you might have. The author makes her feelings quite clear. This is a profound love. A special bond that if you are lucky enough to have had then you will clearly understand the need to write this book.

This is a tale for dog lovers and lovers of all animals and humanity. Brought tears to my eyes while it touched me deep down inside. Extremely moving.

Quote ~

"Mom explained that there are so many evil folks that want dogs and then they do bad things to them. There are people that breed dogs just for money. They run puppy mills and the poor puppies and their mommies live in terrible conditions.

Most of these puppies and mommies are never held, or loved, or taken to the doctor when they get sick. Lots of puppies are sold to good families and die because they were sick as they weren't looked after when they were babies. My Mommy loves me..."

The Errant Flock (The Flock Series Book 1)
The Errant Flock (The Flock Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Errant Flock!, 21 July 2015
When I saw the bestselling author of The Guardian Of Secrets, Jana Petken, had a new book out I couldn't jump on it fast enough. I adored The Mercy Carver Series and I have been patiently waiting for something new to pop up and now it has. I love how the author takes you right in.

The Errant Flock is a mesmerizing tale, with great depth. Moving and powerful.
This is a very emotional read. Intoxicating, really. Chilled me to the bone but I couldn't, didn't want to walk away. I was drawn in instantly and the story felt real. As clear as day as I wept for people who were wronged. So very much wronged.

This harrowing story took my breath away and pulled me in tight. This is what I love most about the authors writing. No matter who she writes about, or what time period, or surroundings, she knows how to lure in her reader. She captivates me at the same time she doesn't appear to have a formula or seem too polished. Her stories are believable and gripping. This is what makes reading so worthwhile. I am transported to another time and place and I am loving every minute of the journey.

Quote ~

"Then I suggest you take this gift. Life has a habit of giving, only to take away when we least expect it. Fate toys with us. It tricks us into false securities and makes us careless, and then one day it kicks us to the ground. You might have a good life now, but who knows what calamities may befall you and your family in the future.
Take the money."

Summer Scribes: A Central College Anthology
Summer Scribes: A Central College Anthology

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer Scribes!, 18 July 2015
Summer Scribes, an anthology of stories, non-fiction and poetry by students of Central College, Nottingham is a hauntingly beautiful compilation. Suzan Dickinson, Sarah Wilson, Nina S. Chung, Lynne Morley, Ambica G, Clare Stevens and Beth O'Neil are young people who all show great promise. There are some stunning works here that are thought provoking little treasures wrapped up into an enticing package.

I can appreciate that the proceeds to this endeavor goes to the Alzheimer's Society. A worthy cause, in deed. Well done. I have read both Pieces of Eight and Ten Revelations and this is an exciting addition.

Summer Scribes is imaginative and engrossing. And besides it had some killer poetry. This moved me very much.

Quote from Shameless Virtue

“It was a flattering action and though I feigned innocence, I loved it. It was a drug that deeply consumed me. He knew I was smitten because I was clumsy despite myself in his presence. I was going to have a dream life with a wonderful man, who had a great future and no tags attached.”

Dog Days of Karma: The First Carr-Maah Consulting Agency Mystery (Carr - Maah Consulting Agency Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog Days of Karma!, 13 July 2015
Dog Days Of Karma by Jada Ryker is the first book in the Karma series, chronicling the adventures (or misadventures) of Celeste Carr and Ericka Maah, of the Carr - Maah Consulting Agency.

This is a crime story with as much action as there are laugh out loud moments. This quirky story is an upbeat escape that sparked my interest An unusual ride into the unknown. Feels like an old school Columbo episode with a bit more bite. Definitely unique and unexpected. There is substance and depth to this story. Not all fun and games. Bullying, abuse and homelessness are two issues this story takes on and I am glad it did.

This crime saga became clear layer by laughable layer. Karma does bite you in the butt sometimes! This off-the-wall comedy had me quickening up my pace as I went along. Becoming more curious to find out the answers that were bubbling in my brain.

Dog Days Of Karma! When murder is not the only mystery.

Quote ~

"Bill hit the table, which caused me to try and curl myself into a ball in my hiding place. 'The wife refused to press charges, so Carter has a record clean enough to serve ladyfingers and tea to the archbishop. The incident shows she has a volatile temper. What if the kid was getting on her nerves, her temper flared, and she poured the water on him?'

Shelter Us
Shelter Us
by Laura Nicole Diamond

5.0 out of 5 stars Shelter Us!, 11 July 2015
This review is from: Shelter Us (Paperback)
"My heart wants to spill out onto the square of sidewalk, flood the street with gratitude for making me feel like I'm not a fool, like what I've done is not nothing, when I know it is."

Shelter Us, a novel by Laura Nicole Diamond is thought provoking as the author dives into the depth of the human spirit and does so with rich prose that touches on your heartstrings. There are moments of such profound grief that I unconsciously found myself holding my breath. I could understand this kind of loss and despair.

Sarah's internal voice registers loud and clear. I connected to her uncertainty and vulnerability. I recognized it before I even read the words. Her insecurity, she wears like a glove.

I have had a different kind of loss, but the human suffering is similar, relatable and in this case, mesmerizing. "I feel like a boiling pot whose lid has been adjusted to let some steam escape." I know this feeling. I am right there with her. In the moment. During her lowest of lows. Those inner voices, suffocating her, I do understand. Poignant.

Shelter Us is worth savoring, as I tried not to read so fast, I wanted to take it all in and not miss out on one precious scene that this heartfelt narrative had to offer. Knowing that this was fiction it read like a memoir with a natural flow and realistic happenings. Still, I had to focus on not letting the tears rush down my cheeks. I connected to it and I couldn't help but be emotionally involved.

This is a very good story that moved me and lured me in from the onset. A parent's worse nightmare and yet I couldn't look away. Like a bad traffic accident where it's close to impossible not to look. I enjoyed how this was told and could see it playing out in front of my eyes. Very good visual descriptions and great inner details that had me care about someone that I didn't know and doesn't even exist. Also enjoyed that it took place in Los Angeles, my birthplace. I know Pacific Palisades and Santa Monica well and maybe Downtown Los Angeles a bit less but I could see and smell the landscaping.

Shelter Us feels very authentic and realistic. I languished over every word.

Quote ~

"I walk into their room and immediately forget that I'm on a sock-finding mission, and instead start picturing where I could set up a portable crib for that homeless baby. There's room in the middle, maybe. Could this house be their haven?
This is insane. I have to look for them again. I have to find them. As soon as Joan and the boys leave, that's what I'll do. I feel the hot, sultry relief of giving in to compulsion."

Firebird's Snare: Book 2 of the Pipe Woman's Legacy
Firebird's Snare: Book 2 of the Pipe Woman's Legacy

5.0 out of 5 stars The Firebird's Snare!, 6 July 2015
Firebird's Snare: Book 2 of the Pipe Woman's Legacy by the very clever Lynne Cantwell is an excellent addition to this series that I would hope to see more of. These books are as addictive as nicotine and tastier than a bar of chocolate. Okay, that is saying a lot, coming from the recovering chocoholic! I think you get my point. Miss Cantwell's books are suspenseful, impactful, easy to follow and razor sharp. At the same time there is nothing stuffy about them. These smart reads are intriguing, mesmerizing and hits home with a bang.

I am no great scholar but these books though intelligent were not hard to follow and certainly had enough spicy tidbits to keep me on the very edge of my seat. The author has a way of telling what could be a complicated story and breaks it down in such a way that the reader is right there with the characters. Fighting along with them. I was keeping my fingers crossed for a peaceful resolve. Oh and the fun. There are these sarcastic moments that I just love. Almost feel as if we are great friends. The characters and myself. Even the not so realistic happenings feel real. I love that! Pulled me right in and it's a pretty firm grip, I must add!

More than just pure entertainment value, these books have substance and delves into some very pertinent issues such as global warming and saving the Earth. Makes you realize there is so much more that can be done and so much more we can change personally to make a difference.

Quote ~

“I knew better than to believe in evil. I hadn't yet been born when the gods came back to Earth, so I had lived my whole life under their mostly benevolent rule. Because of that, I knew that everything that existed on Earth had its place. Humans called things "good" because we perceived them as beneficial to us - but there was a flip side to every coin, a yang for every yin. Things exist for a reason. Things happen for a reason.”

In the Beginning (Mars Origin "I" Series Book 1)
In the Beginning (Mars Origin "I" Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars In The Beginning!, 4 July 2015
Abby L. Vandiver's In The Beginning is a compelling story that swept me away into a thoughtful narrative, filled with interesting what ifs and possibilities that had my mind swirling. Very compelling, this read as non-fiction. I mean, anything is possible?

There is a mysterious undertone to this story that kept me searching, curious and at the same time, a bit nervous. Not sure what would come next. This is an intriguing read, one that kept me interested in the unknown that I hoped would be uncovered.

By the end, there may be things revealed to you that will have you scratching your head. Is this indeed fiction? You might have to come to your own conclusion. Suspenseful, smart and unpredictable, In The Beginning pulls it off. Not only is it thought provoking but is full of humanity and depth.

Quote ~

He promised the release of the Dead Sea Scrolls. The world was eagerly awaiting a look at what had been found in the caves at Qumran. And they had waited long enough. Now, he would have to stall for more time until he could take care of this. There was no way anyone could know what these manuscripts revealed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20