Profile for C James > Reviews

Content by C James

C James "cj12345" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Logitech 2.4 inch Harmony Touch Universal Remote Control for Home Entertainment System

3.0 out of 5 stars Many niggles - I still need to keep my old remotes handy, 18 Jan. 2015
This was an impulse Black Friday bargain at 60GBP, that I hoped would replace my myriad of remote controls that line my coffee table.

The main ones I use are my LG smart TV, Soundbar and Freesat, and it was becoming tiresome having to fumble with all three of them just to even turn things on and off. I use my PS3 as a blu-ray player, which unfortunately is not compatible with the Harmony Touch, so I still need to keep that remote handy.

Your first dilemma with the Harmony is where to put it, because it has a charging dock that needs to be plugged in to the mains. I didn't have a socket at the side of my sofa, so I had to run an extension lead from the nearest one. Once you've sorted that, setting it up is fairly easy with a PC connected to the internet.

The limitations of the Harmony become immediately apparent. It covers the basics really well, but it's a nightmare trying to find the functions you need to control the Smart TV, which are buried in the touch screen interface. In fact, it's such a chore trying to find the functions I need, that I just reach for the old remote to do anything beyond changing channels.

The buttons to activate my freesat program guide are right at the bottom, which I struggle to press when I'm using the remote in one hand.

If I'm playing Playstation when I turn everything off with the Harmony remote, if I then try and turn everything on to watch TV, I find the TV still stuck on the Playstation input, because the TV doesn't have time to warm up before the remote issues the 'change input' command. It then thinks you're watching TV when you're not, so you have to change to another input and back again in order to issue the relevant command to get the right one.

I've rated this 3 stars because I think it's 'OK'. I'm glad I didn't pay more than I did, because I certainly wouldn't think it worth the money, and I still have to keep my other remotes where I can get to them.

Dymo Labelwriter 450 with Assorted Label Rolls x3
Dymo Labelwriter 450 with Assorted Label Rolls x3

4.0 out of 5 stars The peelable labels barely stick to anything, 8 Jan. 2015
This is a great little printer for the price, but hang on a minute - you buy 3 rolls of labels and get the printer for free?? C'mon Dymo, nobody believes that 3 rolls of labels are worth fifty quid. Do they?

Well anyway, whether you believe you got the printer for free or not, it's still a handy gadget if you have lots of address labels to print EXCEPT the 'peelable' labels barely stick to anything. I've needed to label polythene mailing bags, white jiffy bags and cardboard cartons, and I find myself having to stick the labels down with sellotape to stop them peeling up at the edges. They stick fine to paper envelopes, but anything with a smooth or shiny surface then just forget it. I used the small label to print some return address labels, and I kept finding them clinging to the inside of my bag after taking packages to the post office. THEY JUST DON'T STICK!

Printing-wise, I can't fault it. The software runs fine on Windows 8.1 and I can just cut-and-paste addresses from PayPal to print.

I just wish they'd included a reel of address labels with permanent adhesive, then I would have given it 5 stars.

Nikki Beach Private Party for Him Eau De Toilette Spray for Him 100 ml
Nikki Beach Private Party for Him Eau De Toilette Spray for Him 100 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Eccentric, different and unique, but doesn't quite gel, 28 Nov. 2014
First impression after trying this... WTF!?

Certainly unique, I've never smelt anything like it in a mens cologne before, but not in a good way - a bit eccentric I'd say.

It's quite potent, everyone would notice it. It's hard to pin down exactly where this is going wrong for me, because I like all of the ingredients individually. Perhaps a bit too on the floral side for my liking.

I don't totally hate it, but I don't like it, hence the two stars.

Cartier Roadster Sport Eau de Toilette for Him - 100 ml
Cartier Roadster Sport Eau de Toilette for Him - 100 ml
Offered by EftBeautyUK

2.0 out of 5 stars The herbal mid notes were rising to the top, 27 Nov. 2014
Launched in November 2009, I was wholly disappointed with this fragrance. The top notes of Madarin and Bergamot are two of my favourites, but in this concoction they seem overpowered by the herbal middle notes of Rosemary and Sage.

It's a light scent, but not the freshest I've ever tried. To say this is a mens sport fragrance, it's a bit on the perfumey side for my liking.

Homme Wild by Joop! Eau de Toilette Spray 125ml
Homme Wild by Joop! Eau de Toilette Spray 125ml
Offered by Classic Parfums

4.0 out of 5 stars A unique fragrance for a niche market, 27 Nov. 2014
"Launched in 2012 Joop Homme Wild is designed for those "bad guys" who know how to have fun; those wild, free and provocative rebels who drive bikes in distressed jeans and leather jackets. Or those who want to feel that way for a moment.

This oriental - fougere composition is developed by Alienor Massenet. The fragrance is built on many contrasts. It starts with sparkling pink pepper accord that leads to the rich, intense and dark rum absolute core. Warm trail is provided by the base of woody tones and blonde tobacco".

This is a very simple but good quality fragrance. The description above is exactly what you get, though the over-riding scent is definitely tobacco - you can't possibly not notice it. I'd say it's perfectly suited to the target market.

Uglydoll Uglybuddies Tutulu and Wippy
Uglydoll Uglybuddies Tutulu and Wippy

5.0 out of 5 stars Could Uglydolls get any more awesome?, 27 Nov. 2014
How can you not love Tutulu cuddling a mini Wippy? The larger characters in this Uglybuddies range are slightly smaller than their standalone counterparts, but double the fun. Very adorable.

Play by Givenchy Eau de Toilette Spray 100ml
Play by Givenchy Eau de Toilette Spray 100ml
Offered by OTC Global Trading Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully orangey, fresh and spicey, 27 Nov. 2014
"Givenchy launched this fragrance for men in September 2008 and it was advertised by pop star Justin Timberlake.

This modern and contemporary cologne named Play was presented in a bottle shaped like an MP3 player. It is made of milky glass, with cafalonium frame and rubber button to press. It is the work of perfumers Emilie Coppermann and Lucas Sieuzac (Symrise), from direction of Françoise Donche, the perfume nose of the house of Givenchy.

Play is created of notes of bergamot, mandarin orange, grapefruit, bitter orange, amyris wood, coffee flower, black pepper, vetiver and patchouli".

This is a high quality premium fragrance. The top notes of coffee flower and citrus hit you first. The citrus is mixed, orangey with a hint of grapefruit. The black pepper gives it a kick while the subtle masculine base notes offer a warm and woody undertone.

I could happily wear this all day. It doesn't seem to last very long, but it is often said that if you can't smell cologne after a short while then it suits you. I do get intermittent bursts of it to remind me it's there. Made of win.

Calvin Klein Eternity Homme Eau de Toilette - 30 ml
Calvin Klein Eternity Homme Eau de Toilette - 30 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool and fresh, with more than just a hint of citrus, 26 Nov. 2014
"This fragrance [2010] was created with an intention to present a new face of Eternity edition for men, highlighted with a modern, casual, aquatic-woody composition. Eternity Aqua for Men opens with accords of cold cucumbers, citruses, lotus and green leaves. A heart blooms with a union of Sichuan pepper, Mirabelle plum, lavender and cedar, while a base finishes with sandalwood, Guaiac wood, patchouli and musk".

Sitting at the softer end of masculine, this is a cool, fresh fragrance with distinctive top notes of cucumber and citrus (though more lemon than anything). The heart and base notes are subtle but sufficient, so that once you're attuned to them you can pick out the sichuan pepper, patchouli and warm woods.

This makes a great all day fragrance, which I'd be happy to wear to the office.

Try it if you like to smell lemon-fresh :)

Giorgio Armani Attitude Homme Eau de Toilette Spray - 50 ml
Giorgio Armani Attitude Homme Eau de Toilette Spray - 50 ml
Offered by PerfumeWorldUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 26 Nov. 2014
"The new fragrance by Armani [launched 2007] comes in an interesting design, in a form of cigarette lighter. The fragrance composition is very sharp, intense and masculine. The top notes bring an unusual blend of Sicilian lemon and coffee, while the heart follows with cardamom and lavender. The base introduces cedar, patchouli, oppopanax and amber. This fragrance was created by three perfumers: Annick Menardo, Alberto Morillas and Olivier Cresp".

This is a very high quality premium fragrance, which I fell in love with it from the very first spray. It received overwhelmingly positive reviews when it was launched, but somehow failed to pick up momentum in terms of sales and has now sadly vanished from the High Street. It was rarely available for less than £1 per 1ml.

It is warm and aromatic, but at the same time light and fresh. The Sicilian Lemon has a tropical air to it, whilst the remaining notes are perfectly balanced so as not to overpower each other.

I could happily wear this day and night and find it suitable for any occasion, whether going out, off to the office, or simply around the house.

This has been my fragrance of choice for many years.

Calvin Klein Free Aftershave 100 ml
Calvin Klein Free Aftershave 100 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit generic and lacking in identity, 26 Nov. 2014
"CK Free is a modern, masculine fragrance for men [Launched August 2009]. Top notes incorporate absynth, jackfruit, star annis and juniper berries. A heart adds a union of suede, coffee, tobacco leaf and buchu (Agathosma betulina), while a base offers oak, patchouli, cedar and ironwood. CK Free was created by Rodrigo Flores-Roux and Ellen Molner".

First impressions of this fragrance is that it's a bit generic and lacking in its own identity, now almost falling into the budget category in terms of price.

The juniper berries, suede and cedar seem to be the strongest scents to pick out, giving an aromatic and woody accord.

The subtle, softer notes are lost... I don't really pick out any coffee, star annis or absynth.

This, for me, would be a 'going out' fragrance. Not something I'd wear to the office or around the house.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6