Profile for Gary Steward > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Abide with Me
Abide with Me

5.0 out of 5 stars A right old East End knees up!, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Abide with Me (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book - I could totally relate to the hardships of the families that were trying to make ends meet in the East End in the 70's and 80's. I can just about recall the mazy FA Cup run that the Hammers went on in 1980, and reading this brought back some fond memories of that for me.

Following the life of John Sissons, the book depicts the thoughts and feelings of his adolescent years right through to young manhood - there's never a dull moment in this guys life (except the football allegiance of his Uncle Derek!).

A great paced book. One I may pick up and read again!

Great job. 5*

RED
RED

5.0 out of 5 stars Red. A very addictive read..., 13 April 2012
This review is from: RED (Kindle Edition)
There are plenty of serial killer books around and judging from the length of this one, I didn't think that it would be as good as others that I have previously read. I was wrong. The book is written at such a pace that you never really have time to catch your breath, it's so absorbing. The crimes committed by the antagonist are detailed in such a gory fashion. You need two hands to read this book, one to hold onto your Kindle and the other to cover your gaping mouth as you read on.

This is the first book from Steven Lytton that I have read, I'm sure I'll be back for more!

Great job - 5 stars from me!

Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (The Post-Apocalyptic Serial Thriller)
Yesterday's Gone: Episode 1 (The Post-Apocalyptic Serial Thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 30 Mar. 2012
Really enjoyed reading this first episode, and superbly written it was too! Love the storyline, and will be starting my second helping asap.

PASKAGANKEE (A Paskagankee Novel Book 1)
PASKAGANKEE (A Paskagankee Novel Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 30 Mar. 2012
This book was recommended to me by a friend, and after reading up on it I decided to give it a go. Plausible storyline, enjoyable and well paced. I thought that the continual reference to a past incident involving the main character was a bit unnecessary though, and once certain people in the town realised what they were up against, it did become a bit predictable to me.

I liked it! 4*

Asylum Lake
Asylum Lake

5.0 out of 5 stars Asylum Lake, 20 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Asylum Lake (Kindle Edition)
Never judge a book by it's cover - well I never do, but the cover of this book did catch my eye. After reading the synopsis, I was desperate to get stuck into this one, and I wasn't disappointed.

A chilling plot which the author executes perfectly.. great descriptive and graphic text really makes you feel part of the story. I agree with the previous review that this story in all of it's gory details would make an excellent film.

I'm really pleased I chose to read this book, and cannot wait to get my hands on the sequel!

Great job! It's a 5* from me!

The Long Journey Home
The Long Journey Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 6 Mar. 2012
I actually read this on a train and must admit, although this is not a lengthy novel to get stuck into it is 'pure quality'. I found myself engrossed from the first page to the last (and just as I had finished the book, my train pulled into my station - how weird is that!).

Beautifully written, and a good story line with the kicker being left until the last word of the book.
Thoroughly deserves the five stars!

Great job!

Haunted
Haunted

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice read, 5 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Haunted (Kindle Edition)
This is short book and chronicles the move from house to house and witness several unexplained events experienced by the author. The author does state in the prologue of the book that we should not expect 'chairs flying across rooms'. I was still intrigued, so I read on..

The descriptive work and image portrayal are good. Several short accounts of the events, each one different from the last. I particularly enjoyed the last one, it was bordering eerie to be honest.

I started and completed this book within one journey to work, so don't expect an epic that will keep you glued to the tube seat for a week.

Worth a read nonetheless. Four stars from me :)

A Cleansing of Souls
A Cleansing of Souls

5.0 out of 5 stars The Big Bang, 3 Mar. 2012
This is yet another wonderfully written novel by this author.

A superb account of two total strangers trying to deal with the bereavement of close family members - and once their paths collide, they are both catapulted into totally different journeys.

This book really does make you sit up and think about the love that you hold for your own family, and reminds us that we should take stock every once in while to cherish what we have.

Stuart's way with his words again had me hooked to this book - I got up at a ridiculous hour at a weekend just to finish it!

Another great job!

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked this book - just, 24 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
My initial thoughts before buying this book would be that it would be repetitive and tedious, but due to some of the reviews it has received and seeing as the book seems to be really popular, I decided to give it a go.

I think that the concept of the book is original, which I think is the big influence in its sales, and I think that the author has made an honest effort in creating a story that 'sort of' fits together without making it a chore to read, but it did just meander along for periods - what kept me going was the intrigue of discovering Christine's past.

This was not a wholly captivating read, but it's not a bad book. Three stars - just.

Tollesbury Time Forever (FRUGALITY Book 1)
Tollesbury Time Forever (FRUGALITY Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tollesbury Time Forever, 10 Jan. 2012
"When I was younger, so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's help in anyway. But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured, Now I find I've changed my mind, I've opened up the doors."

Tollesbury Time Forever - what a cracking read!

A roller-coaster journey into the mind(s) of a troubled soul, which terrifies you one minute, mystifies you the next and then has a tug at your heart strings for good measure.

Wonderfully written, well paced with a strong, original and emotional story line. The detailed description of characters, places, feelings and thoughts really bring this book to life from the outset - if you like books that you find difficult to put down, you'll absolutely love this one!

Great job!