Profile for Mr. P. Buys > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Buys

Mr. P. Buys "patricksa" (Bloemfontein, South Africa)

Caravan Pages With Kitaro
Caravan Pages With Kitaro

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotions you didn't know you had........., 18 Jun. 2014
One of the best-kept-secret-songs in the world. Richard Page's amazingly flawless and emotive voice brings this beautiful piece of music from Asia's gem Kitaro to life. I searched for this for many years after seeing the video clip on telly - the next 20+ years were agony trying to convince anyone that there was a Kitaro track with vocals!!!! My VHS tape with this clip got very worn out. This was way before the basic internet of the early '90's and the luxury of modern technology. Needless to say, when I eventually tracked this down in 2010 I was in heaven. An actual physical CD would have been the ultimate prize, even the 7" which was released in some countries I now know, but the mp3 will suffice 'till then. Treat yourself to this ....... If you enjoy the likes of Frank Duval, Mike Batt, Mike Oldfield, Jean-Michel Jarre, even Chris de Burgh and Leonard Cohen.

Stories of Johnny
Stories of Johnny

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're after the video clips ...., 8 May 2012
This review is from: Stories of Johnny (Audio CD)
For the die-hard fans looking for the ultimate version of this album (we can only hope that we do see it someday yet - and that the "choir" version (can't recall the full title right now, but it was the b-side to Stories of Johnny) is included too!) look for the 1997 American release of this album on the Thirsty Ear label (700435703926 - barcode) that includes THREE videos on this disc for pc and mac playback: Stories of Johnny, The House Is Haunted and Love Letter. No booklet with lyrics etc - it would have been nice to have the original LP lyric/photo booklet reproduced - just a simple 4-page leaflet with basic production credits. And the video quality on pc playback is not that bad. Thirsty Ear catalogue number THI 57039.2 - I still give this release the 4/5 it deserves, though the most accesable and recent issue (the one here on Amazon) is unrated as I do not know what the booklet looks like! (picky, picky!)

Up Until Now.....The 30Th Anniversary Hits Collection
Up Until Now.....The 30Th Anniversary Hits Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough ... BUT wait - there's more!, 16 May 2011
You know the songs, you just haven't heard some of the mixes before. While the second disc offers up extended versions, the first has some TV mixes that are the selling points. Nice.
That said, and with all gratitude possible to the compilers of this collection for trying to bring us something new (the Spanish album already!!!), I feel a little short-changed at having to print out and glue together my own "extended version" of the booklet!!
The basic info booklet - all 4 pages of it(of which the font used for the back-page messages from Cheryl and Nichola Martin are the worst possible - why oh why! This is not a reader-friendly font in this size on black backing!!!) - does not tell us much about the actual disc content.
No, to find out more about these "elusive" tracks and their production credits, one has to search the internet. A particular site has another 8 pages of info for you, with detailed instructions to print out, and glue them together!!!
And don't bother with the site mentioned in the booklet - that only has 1 Bucks Fizz title listed (the 2003 Greatest Hits).
'nuff said ..... a nice collection, but really!

UPDATE: 02 August 2011

I have since listened to this album over and over and over again and have finally decided to up my rating - this is for the actual content not so? (I still feel the same about the booklet by the way Kevin!). Having listened to the various mixes (I have all the album re-releases, compilations and both the 3cd and 4cd boxes as well as some of the original cd issues, and am a fan from way back in the beginning as my vinyl collection would attest to) I must concede that a lot of effort went into what has been done here: both by the fans for the fans, and everyone else. Some of the tracks really sound much better this time around (my current faves are the TV mixes of London Town and Rules of the Game). So there it is. I still don't appreciate the incomplete booklet (but am delighted that an "extended version" was made available!) but with budgets and the big-wigs at Sony having final say ... it is understandable (it is after all about money money money for them isn't it?). Oh, and as a final thought - as someone else asked - the "tart" on the end is Shelley Preston (even the limited booklet info would tell you that ...!). Thank you Dean and Kevin.... Lost Masters 3 here we come ....
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2012 6:15 PM BST

The Sound of Music Gift Set (Blu-ray and DVD) [1965]
The Sound of Music Gift Set (Blu-ray and DVD) [1965]
Dvd ~ Julie Andrews
Offered by alentertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Lovely film - totally rubbish presentation!, 20 Nov. 2010
Ok - You know the movie. This review is about this actual "gift" set. The cards are a nice touch - nothing special there. The books have told us nothing new, and the info has all been given in other books and the pictures seen before. The only saving grace could have been the enchanting music box that plays "my favourite things". Not to be I'm afraid: the lid has to be removed to expose the key to wind the box, which then at high speed plays a few bars of said tune. Oh, and don't think that closing the box (the lid is not hinged, but a loose item) stops the tune - it plays on as there is no mechanism to start/stop if the lid is taken off/put on. What could have been a real treasure just shouts out money money money! I am one of those that would have honestly NOT paid the extra £46 had I known all this before the time. Accurate and detailed info on products is what is expected and should be given as a rule. But then in a perfect world .....
So if you're in the market for an upgrade of this movie - BE WARNED. All is not as it seems ...

Wallace and Gromit Grand Adventures and Glorious Inventions: The Scrapbook of an Inventor... and His Dog (Wallace & Gromit)
by Penny Worms

4.0 out of 5 stars What a way to start! (my collection anwyay ..), 14 Mar. 2009
This is my first Wallace and Gromit purchase in paper form (at the same time also bought the tin edition of the first dvd and the 2 disc set of Curse of..). And .. what a way to start! Cannot say why it's taken me so long to get here, but I love the book. Excellent companion i.m.o. for the pair up to now and their dvd releases.
Would have like a few more "things to do" in the book (flaps to lift, pull-out pieces etc. as with the Dragonology/Wizardology type books), but this is still good.
And I am 40 - so younger fans are probably going to enjoy this even more!
Brilliant!