Profile for BOOK RAVEN > Reviews

Content by BOOK RAVEN

BOOK RAVEN (NORTH OF ENGLAND)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Honey Trap: A Short Story
The Honey Trap: A Short Story

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointed, 16 Nov 2014
I'll begin by saying that I have read everything Anne Zouroudi has written although I should qualify that by saying, everything she has published. I've read the other 4 reviews of this book and wonder if they've been reading something different from the Honey Trap that I have just read .

This story is beautifully crafted but unlike the Hermes series it is grim without any uplifting conclusion or redemption at the end of the story. Now I know the short story form is a completely different animal from the novel but even so, unlike the Hermes novels I felt rather depressed at the end of this story. I don't want to add a spoiler here to give further clarification. However, her work is so good that I am happy to wait for the next full Hermes novel to appear. Don't get me wrong - much of the subject matter in the Hermes books isn't exactly a barrel of laughs but somehow I simply just enjoy reading them more.

A Parrot in the Pepper Tree: A Sequel to Driving Over Lemons (Lemons Trilogy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and a delight to read !, 12 Nov 2014
I loved this book. Not only was it well written but it really lifted my spirits and I would seek out anything from this author. It helps to read the Driving over Lemons book first (which I had done). Wonderful !

Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle Book 3)
Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle Book 3)

1.0 out of 5 stars This narrative did not grab me, 12 Nov 2014
I quite simply could not get into this book and gave up on it.

Clariel (The Old Kingdom Book 4)
Clariel (The Old Kingdom Book 4)

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing and sad, 17 Oct 2014
I think the original trilogy is extremely original in concept and very well crafted, especially Lirael which has to be one of my top ten all time favourites. Clariel - is missing something - and when I'd finished it I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness ***warning spoiler alert***

Because I know the other stories so well, I was aware of who this character was going to become and the fact that absolutely no-one appeared to be there for her to support her in getting the teaching/knowledge she needed, and that her education in the charter and other areas were to sadly lacking, I found quite upsetting.

It felt like Bilbo Baggins without any Gandalf figure, so to some degree, why bother writing the story ? To me it would have been more credible if what happened eventually was down to greed and avarice rather than someone who simply had not been raised to understand who she was, be taught what she needed and to spend the whole book just wishing to have a quiet life returning to the forest.

Is the purpose of art to reflect life ? Well if that's the case this does, but it does not necessarily mean I want to read it as an escape from my own stresses.

And to conclude the story by sending her away again without any help/guidance or future teaching - pah, made me angry and frustrated.

Give me Lirael any day ! Even with the demise of the disreputable dog at the end of the trilogy, there is still hope which is not present in Clariel.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2014 11:57 PM GMT

The Almond Blossom Appreciation Society: From the author of Driving Over Lemons (Lemons Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another joy to read from this author, 5 Oct 2014
I love this trilogy - of which this is the 3rd book. It's slightly disjointed in parts but very well worth reading and I was disappointed when it ended. An amusing and interesting read.

Rhubarb! Tales of Survival on a Little Greek Island
Rhubarb! Tales of Survival on a Little Greek Island

5.0 out of 5 stars Astute and funny, 16 Sep 2014
Very astute and very funny - when the rest of his work is put onto kindle versions I will be buying them straight away.

Other Times, Other Places: Growing up in Peace and War
Other Times, Other Places: Growing up in Peace and War

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 16 Sep 2014
Very interesting - a dreadful insight into what it was like to live in Athens during the occupation. Worth reading however.

Nadine's Dog (Kindle Single)
Nadine's Dog (Kindle Single)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure why this was written, 16 Sep 2014
An incredibly short story. I'm not quite sure why it was written unless it was written as anger therapy - or simply to show how stupid people can be in not caring for their animals properly.

Newt's Emerald
Newt's Emerald

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't think it's up to the usual standard from this usually excellent author, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Newt's Emerald (Kindle Edition)
This is the only time I have ever had periods of boredom whilst reading Garth Nix. When I think of the quality of works like the Abhorsen Trilogy and Even the Keys to the Kingdom I did feel it was not up to the usual very high standard. The other books I would read again, I doubt very much if I will read this one again. The concept of the story was interesting but the lead female character was not very believable (whereas Lirael is totally believable) and I lost patience with her judgemental character. However I thoroughly enjoyed Fire above and Fire below, it's just this book (Newt's Emerald) of his recent work that annoyed me.

The Journey to Filanthi
The Journey to Filanthi

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying and a good read, 18 May 2014
I bought this book early 2014 knowing I had booked a week in Stoupa early May. It was wonderful to recognise many of the places referred to in the book both in Stoupa and in Ag Nik. Well worth reading

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5