Profile for BOOK RAVEN > Reviews

Content by BOOK RAVEN

BOOK RAVEN (NORTH OF ENGLAND)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Jenna's Journey (A Greek Island Mystery Book 1)
Jenna's Journey (A Greek Island Mystery Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very very slow ....., 25 Jan. 2015
When I start a review with the words "Dear God" it is not a good sign. Dear God, I have got to 47% on my kindle and wonder if this story will ever make sense. There is so much padding and waffle, I keep finding myself saying "get a b****y move on with the plot instead of faffing about with trips that don't seem to make much sense. This story is SLOW in the extreme. I've notice the second book in the series has got many more high star ratings and am just hoping that Ryan's writing style improves. As others have said, lots of inconsistencies. Well I suppose if I manage to plod through James Joyce's Ulysses then I can persevere with this (although it's hardly in the same category of writing). I'll be back when I've finished the wretched thing and let's see if I can find any more redeeming features to this hapless tale. If I could manage to get through this evening's stint without looking at the percentage and thinking "My God, is that all?" then it will be an achievement. Additional Comment Now I Have Finished Reading - I am almost lost for words - Why give two endings ? The Sliding Door concept has already been explored in the film of the same name. I found the presentation of this story higgeldy piggeldy and without a proper tidying up of loose ends. I found myself asking so how did it turn out then - which ending is the most satisfactory and the answer is neither. I cannot understand anyone going to the trouble of writing this book and then letting it be such a pig's ear at the end. My conslusion is that this is an exercise in writing and should never have been published - it was for the author's benefit entirely in that it gave her writing practice - When I got to the end I felt angry, frustrated and unsettled but not in a way where the prose had challenged me - I was just cheesed off.

The Honey Trap: A Short Story
The Honey Trap: A Short Story

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointed, 16 Nov. 2014
I'll begin by saying that I have read everything Anne Zouroudi has written although I should qualify that by saying, everything she has published. I've read the other 4 reviews of this book and wonder if they've been reading something different from the Honey Trap that I have just read .

This story is beautifully crafted but unlike the Hermes series it is grim without any uplifting conclusion or redemption at the end of the story. Now I know the short story form is a completely different animal from the novel but even so, unlike the Hermes novels I felt rather depressed at the end of this story. I don't want to add a spoiler here to give further clarification. However, her work is so good that I am happy to wait for the next full Hermes novel to appear. Don't get me wrong - much of the subject matter in the Hermes books isn't exactly a barrel of laughs but somehow I simply just enjoy reading them more.

A Parrot in the Pepper Tree: A Sequel to Driving Over Lemons (Lemons Trilogy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and a delight to read !, 12 Nov. 2014
I loved this book. Not only was it well written but it really lifted my spirits and I would seek out anything from this author. It helps to read the Driving over Lemons book first (which I had done). Wonderful !

Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle Book 3)
Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle Book 3)

1.0 out of 5 stars This narrative did not grab me, 12 Nov. 2014
I quite simply could not get into this book and gave up on it.

Clariel (The Old Kingdom Book 4)
Clariel (The Old Kingdom Book 4)

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing and sad, 17 Oct. 2014
I think the original trilogy is extremely original in concept and very well crafted, especially Lirael which has to be one of my top ten all time favourites. Clariel - is missing something - and when I'd finished it I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness ***warning spoiler alert***

Because I know the other stories so well, I was aware of who this character was going to become and the fact that absolutely no-one appeared to be there for her to support her in getting the teaching/knowledge she needed, and that her education in the charter and other areas were to sadly lacking, I found quite upsetting.

It felt like Bilbo Baggins without any Gandalf figure, so to some degree, why bother writing the story ? To me it would have been more credible if what happened eventually was down to greed and avarice rather than someone who simply had not been raised to understand who she was, be taught what she needed and to spend the whole book just wishing to have a quiet life returning to the forest.

Is the purpose of art to reflect life ? Well if that's the case this does, but it does not necessarily mean I want to read it as an escape from my own stresses.

And to conclude the story by sending her away again without any help/guidance or future teaching - pah, made me angry and frustrated.

Give me Lirael any day ! Even with the demise of the disreputable dog at the end of the trilogy, there is still hope which is not present in Clariel.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2014 11:09 AM GMT

The Almond Blossom Appreciation Society: From the author of Driving Over Lemons (Lemons Trilogy Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another joy to read from this author, 5 Oct. 2014
I love this trilogy - of which this is the 3rd book. It's slightly disjointed in parts but very well worth reading and I was disappointed when it ended. An amusing and interesting read.

Rhubarb! Tales of Survival on a Little Greek Island
Rhubarb! Tales of Survival on a Little Greek Island

5.0 out of 5 stars Astute and funny, 16 Sept. 2014
Very astute and very funny - when the rest of his work is put onto kindle versions I will be buying them straight away.

Other Times, Other Places: Growing up in Peace and War
Other Times, Other Places: Growing up in Peace and War

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 16 Sept. 2014
Very interesting - a dreadful insight into what it was like to live in Athens during the occupation. Worth reading however.

Nadine's Dog (Kindle Single)
Nadine's Dog (Kindle Single)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure why this was written, 16 Sept. 2014
An incredibly short story. I'm not quite sure why it was written unless it was written as anger therapy - or simply to show how stupid people can be in not caring for their animals properly.

Newt's Emerald
Newt's Emerald

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't think it's up to the usual standard from this usually excellent author, 11 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Newt's Emerald (Kindle Edition)
This is the only time I have ever had periods of boredom whilst reading Garth Nix. When I think of the quality of works like the Abhorsen Trilogy and Even the Keys to the Kingdom I did feel it was not up to the usual very high standard. The other books I would read again, I doubt very much if I will read this one again. The concept of the story was interesting but the lead female character was not very believable (whereas Lirael is totally believable) and I lost patience with her judgemental character. However I thoroughly enjoyed Fire above and Fire below, it's just this book (Newt's Emerald) of his recent work that annoyed me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5