Profile for BOOK RAVEN > Reviews

Content by BOOK RAVEN

BOOK RAVEN (NORTH OF ENGLAND)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Clariel (The Old Kingdom)
Clariel (The Old Kingdom)

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressing and sad, 17 Oct 2014
I think the original trilogy is extremely original in concept and very well crafted, especially Lirael which has to be one of my top ten all time favourites. Clariel - is missing something - and when I'd finished it I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness ***warning spoiler alert***

Because I know the other stories so well, I was aware of who this character was going to become and the fact that absolutely no-one appeared to be there for her to support her in getting the teaching/knowledge she needed, and that her education in the charter and other areas were to sadly lacking, I found quite upsetting.

It felt like Bilbo Baggins without any Gandalf figure, so to some degree, why bother writing the story ? To me it would have been more credible if what happened eventually was down to greed and avarice rather than someone who simply had not been raised to understand who she was, be taught what she needed and to spend the whole book just wishing to have a quiet life returning to the forest.

Is the purpose of art to reflect life ? Well if that's the case this does, but it does not necessarily mean I want to read it as an escape from my own stresses.

And to conclude the story by sending her away again without any help/guidance or future teaching - pah, made me angry and frustrated.

Give me Lirael any day ! Even with the demise of the disreputable dog at the end of the trilogy, there is still hope which is not present in Clariel.

The Almond Blossom Appreciation Society: From the author of Driving Over Lemons (Lemons Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another joy to read from this author, 5 Oct 2014
I love this trilogy - of which this is the 3rd book. It's slightly disjointed in parts but very well worth reading and I was disappointed when it ended. An amusing and interesting read.

Rhubarb! Tales of Survival on a Little Greek Island
Rhubarb! Tales of Survival on a Little Greek Island

5.0 out of 5 stars Astute and funny, 16 Sep 2014
Very astute and very funny - when the rest of his work is put onto kindle versions I will be buying them straight away.

Other Times, Other Places: Growing up in Peace and War
Other Times, Other Places: Growing up in Peace and War

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 16 Sep 2014
Very interesting - a dreadful insight into what it was like to live in Athens during the occupation. Worth reading however.

Nadine's Dog (Kindle Single)
Nadine's Dog (Kindle Single)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure why this was written, 16 Sep 2014
An incredibly short story. I'm not quite sure why it was written unless it was written as anger therapy - or simply to show how stupid people can be in not caring for their animals properly.

Newt's Emerald
Newt's Emerald

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't think it's up to the usual standard from this usually excellent author, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Newt's Emerald (Kindle Edition)
This is the only time I have ever had periods of boredom whilst reading Garth Nix. When I think of the quality of works like the Abhorsen Trilogy and Even the Keys to the Kingdom I did feel it was not up to the usual very high standard. The other books I would read again, I doubt very much if I will read this one again. The concept of the story was interesting but the lead female character was not very believable (whereas Lirael is totally believable) and I lost patience with her judgemental character. However I thoroughly enjoyed Fire above and Fire below, it's just this book (Newt's Emerald) of his recent work that annoyed me.

The Journey to Filanthi
The Journey to Filanthi

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying and a good read, 18 May 2014
I bought this book early 2014 knowing I had booked a week in Stoupa early May. It was wonderful to recognise many of the places referred to in the book both in Stoupa and in Ag Nik. Well worth reading

The Well of Tears (The Dream Stewards Book 1)
The Well of Tears (The Dream Stewards Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting New series, 18 May 2014
Absorbing and well written. The only thing I don't like is when the author leaves you hanging and switches to "another part of the castle" or "meanwhile, back in the forest" and by the way, the author does not use these cliched words, I'm just using them to convey what I mean. For me, when the scene switch occurs, I whizz forward until I find the next chapter that deals with the characters I've just read about and then go back and finish the other thread of the story. Other than that I found the story enjoyable. There is a familiarity about the work probably conveyed by her own declaration of her influences (Mary Stewart) etc that makes it easy to read. Looking forward to Keys to the Realms on my next holiday.

In The Dolphin's Wake
In The Dolphin's Wake

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle and uplifting book, 13 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - lots of historical background, and very well written. I savoured every chapter and was gutted when I got to the end and discovered there wasn't a sequel or a "next episode". It will be one I re-read. A joy to dwell on in the winter months!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2014 3:56 PM BST

Things Can Only Get Feta: Two journalists and their crazy dog living through the Greek crisis

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Honest, 28 Mar 2014
I would rate the story itself as approx 80 to 85 out of a hundred. The five stars are because not only was it well written grammatically, but also, there is not one spelling mistake and I often find conversions to kindle to be less than perfect. For me, this means I can get on with reading the story itself instead of constantly pausing thinking "has anyone checked this?" So top marks for that. Of the story itself, Marjorie is extremely honest which does not always make her popular with the ex pats but it is extremely well observed. The incidents with their dog are absolutely hilarious and the insights into the sufferings of some of the Greek families are also interesting. An indication of how much I enjoyed it was that I went straight to Google afterwards to see if she had written anything else (any other books). Sadly no but I am waiting !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4