Profile for BOOK RAVEN > Reviews

Content by BOOK RAVEN

BOOK RAVEN (NORTH OF ENGLAND)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Rhubarb! Tales of Survival on a Little Greek Island
Rhubarb! Tales of Survival on a Little Greek Island

5.0 out of 5 stars Astute and funny, 16 Sep 2014
Very astute and very funny - when the rest of his work is put onto kindle versions I will be buying them straight away.

Other Times, Other Places: Growing up in Peace and War
Other Times, Other Places: Growing up in Peace and War

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading, 16 Sep 2014
Very interesting - a dreadful insight into what it was like to live in Athens during the occupation. Worth reading however.

Nadine's Dog (Kindle Single)
Nadine's Dog (Kindle Single)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure why this was written, 16 Sep 2014
An incredibly short story. I'm not quite sure why it was written unless it was written as anger therapy - or simply to show how stupid people can be in not caring for their animals properly.

Newt's Emerald
Newt's Emerald

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't think it's up to the usual standard from this usually excellent author, 11 Jun 2014
This review is from: Newt's Emerald (Kindle Edition)
This is the only time I have ever had periods of boredom whilst reading Garth Nix. When I think of the quality of works like the Abhorsen Trilogy and Even the Keys to the Kingdom I did feel it was not up to the usual very high standard. The other books I would read again, I doubt very much if I will read this one again. The concept of the story was interesting but the lead female character was not very believable (whereas Lirael is totally believable) and I lost patience with her judgemental character. However I thoroughly enjoyed Fire above and Fire below, it's just this book (Newt's Emerald) of his recent work that annoyed me.

The Journey to Filanthi
The Journey to Filanthi

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying and a good read, 18 May 2014
I bought this book early 2014 knowing I had booked a week in Stoupa early May. It was wonderful to recognise many of the places referred to in the book both in Stoupa and in Ag Nik. Well worth reading

The Well of Tears (The Dream Stewards Book 1)
The Well of Tears (The Dream Stewards Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting New series, 18 May 2014
Absorbing and well written. The only thing I don't like is when the author leaves you hanging and switches to "another part of the castle" or "meanwhile, back in the forest" and by the way, the author does not use these cliched words, I'm just using them to convey what I mean. For me, when the scene switch occurs, I whizz forward until I find the next chapter that deals with the characters I've just read about and then go back and finish the other thread of the story. Other than that I found the story enjoyable. There is a familiarity about the work probably conveyed by her own declaration of her influences (Mary Stewart) etc that makes it easy to read. Looking forward to Keys to the Realms on my next holiday.

In The Dolphin's Wake
In The Dolphin's Wake

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle and uplifting book, 13 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - lots of historical background, and very well written. I savoured every chapter and was gutted when I got to the end and discovered there wasn't a sequel or a "next episode". It will be one I re-read. A joy to dwell on in the winter months!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2014 3:56 PM BST

Things Can Only Get Feta: Two journalists and their crazy dog living through the Greek crisis

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Honest, 28 Mar 2014
I would rate the story itself as approx 80 to 85 out of a hundred. The five stars are because not only was it well written grammatically, but also, there is not one spelling mistake and I often find conversions to kindle to be less than perfect. For me, this means I can get on with reading the story itself instead of constantly pausing thinking "has anyone checked this?" So top marks for that. Of the story itself, Marjorie is extremely honest which does not always make her popular with the ex pats but it is extremely well observed. The incidents with their dog are absolutely hilarious and the insights into the sufferings of some of the Greek families are also interesting. An indication of how much I enjoyed it was that I went straight to Google afterwards to see if she had written anything else (any other books). Sadly no but I am waiting !

A Year in Crete or The Diet Book that is not a Diet Book
A Year in Crete or The Diet Book that is not a Diet Book

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Delightful - a real escape, 11 Mar 2014
This was one of those books where I noticed the percentage read at the bottom of the Kindle Page getting bigger and dreaded finishing. It was wonderful - a real escape from the grey winter. I wanted it to last so much longer ! It is the first thing I have read for a very long time where the English was absolutely spot on, not one typo/spelling mistake, grammar wonderful and yet written in a really captivating style. The recipes are lovely, the tips for those going to stay awhile/work abroad extremely useful and the stories very interesting. I beg the author to write more, and I'm off to search now to see if she has. A real joy.

It Started With An Ouzo
It Started With An Ouzo

2.0 out of 5 stars Mildly amusing but full of mistakes., 6 Feb 2014
Anyone who Greekifies their name to Stavros etc makes me cringe with embarrassment - for heaven's sake. The ouzo "chorus" got pretty boring and repetitive to degree where I kept skipping bits. Some useful titbits here and there but really not up to standard. I will not be downloading/purchasing any more of this man's work. Does not appear to have been proofread either.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4