Profile for Bradford Peverill > Reviews

Content by Bradford Peverill

Bradford Peverill "Peverill" (UK)

Her Fearful Symmetry
Her Fearful Symmetry
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars weirdly entertaining, 18 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Her Fearful Symmetry (Paperback)
Audrey Niffenegger takes you into a different world - a reality that at first appears to be only slightly detached from reality, but spirals into a total imaginary. But within this sense of unreality there is philosophy - what is the meaning of death? where do we go? can we love after death? do we really want our loved ones to come back to us?

I sympathise with the reviewer who finds the characters unsympathetic, it is true that none of them is nice, but I found that added to the slightly gothic thrill. It is not long since I read Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger and though I enjoyed it, it was very clunky in comparison to the light touch writing of this book.

The ending does feel a little rushed, with a mass of 'new' information crammed into the last few chapters, but on the whole each chapter can be read as a stand-alone of enjoyable language, great imagination and things to think about.

Five stars definitely - go get it!

Two Lives
Two Lives
by Vikram Seth

5.0 out of 5 stars wide ranging and moving, 17 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Two Lives (Paperback)
What a tour de force! I really enjoyed this mix of biography, family history and world history brought together in a beatifully told narrative. It seems particularly pertinent today as it describes the complex relationships between religions as well as family happiness and conflict. Jews, Hindus and Christians live and work together, experience love and betrayal, including the Nazi concentration and extermination camps. I have recently visited Auschwitz-Birkenau and the description of the final days of Lola's life was almost unbearable in its detail and feeling. I also enjoyed getting to know the characters and finding out more and more detail, good and bad, as the book went on. Very real because it is so complex, very respectful but also true. Politically astute and relevant, I highly recommend it.