Profile for Green Ocean > Reviews

Reggae Keyboards
Reggae Keyboards
by Jimmy Peart

5.0 out of 5 stars One love, 28 May 2015
This review is from: Reggae Keyboards (Paperback)
This is a great book. I am trained in classical and jazz solo but love reggae. Playing reggae piano/organ is very different from classical/jazz. I found that as a complete novice in playing reggae this book breaks it down for me perfectly. The instructions are very clear and the CD is very helpful. It is a well organised book, and from what I know about reggae and music in general it provides a very useful foundation. The book consists of exercises rather than tunes, and guides you in how to play the key reggae piano riddims.

One Love: The Very Best of Bob Marley & the Wailers (Piano/Vocal/Guitar Artist Songbook)
by Bob Marley & The Wailers

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book with lots of tunes, 28 May 2015
This book has all Bob Marley's most popular songs, so there are lots of songs to choose from. The book is a little impractical as it is not spiral bound. Most of the songs go over four or more pages, and for some reason some of the notes in some of the songs are really small making it difficult to read. This is definitely an intermediate and over level book. A CD would have been useful for me as I am familiar with the melody (vocals) but not so familiar with what the piano accompaniment should sound like.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Purple pink not true pink, don't last very long, 9 Sept. 2014
The colour of these cartridges are nice - but I would say they are more a purple than a true pink. The colour of this ink is what I was expecting of the purple cartridges. My only gripe is that these cartridges run out very quickly. I don't think that I do a huge amount of writing and yet they seem to be lasting no more that 3 - 4 days. I admit that I haven't used a cartridge pen since school but I don't remember cartridges running out so quickly (even the small ones). So I have to say I am a little disappointed. It's going to cost me a fortune to keep this up! Might have to go back to biros.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2014 8:49 AM BST

Arsenal Supporter's Book
Arsenal Supporter's Book
by Chas Newkey-Burden

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 3 Sept. 2014
Maybe I didn't read the description properly, but I expected this to be a photo book but it's not. I had bought for a child but on receipt it became apparent that this book is not suitable for young children - not enough pictures, and reading age is quite high. Also from the picture I thought this book would be A4 in size; however, it is more A5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as bright as I expected, 3 Sept. 2014
These cartridges are OK; however, they are not as bright purple as I expected, and at some angles when the ink is dry on paper, it actually looks very similar to standard blue ink cartridges. Also, I find that when I start writing after a few hours of non use, the ink drys to a more black/dark grey colour, and is definitely not purple but after a couple of letters it is purple.

Parker IM Brushed Metal GT Fountain Pen (Medium) S0856320
Parker IM Brushed Metal GT Fountain Pen (Medium) S0856320

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 29 Aug. 2014
For the price, this pen is excellent value for money. Good, sturdy and a nice weight to it. The picture doesn't do it justice. I was expecting the pen to be a slimmer and less sturdy. For a second I actually thought I had been sent the wrong pen! It writes ok, I do however find that it skips a little bit. It is very smooth. Despite the 'skipping' I have rated the pen 5 star as it is good value for money

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good simple idea!, 19 April 2011
Incredibly useful product. I don't like putting my handbag on the floor a) because apparently it's bad luck and b) because the floor's usually dirty! As a result I often sit in restaurants trying to eat with my handbag on my lap or tryin to put the bag on the back of a chair but it slips off. With this product I no longer have to do either.

Only been using the product a week or so and it does what it is meant to do. My handbag is quite heavy and the handbag hook happily takes the weight. To date I have used it at a restaurant, and the past couple of days I've been using it at work so my handbag has been hanging for over 5 hours - no problem. I'm not sure how long it's going to last because i'm not sure if it's a good idea to use it for over 5 hours but i'm willing to take the risk. Given the price I would happily buy another one.I've had no problems attaching it to desks - seems to attach to all materials - wood,plastic etc.

There is a mirror but it's a bit small to see very much but then again I didn't buy this product for the mirror.

I bought the purple one - it's a nice colour if you like purple! And it's a very pretty, girly product.

Usain Bolt: 9.58
Usain Bolt: 9.58
by Usain Bolt

2.0 out of 5 stars Ghost writing at it's best or should I say worst? Written by Sun newspaper journalist, 28 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Usain Bolt: 9.58 (Hardcover)
I bought this book over a month a go and I am having real problems reading it. The reason being is that although I do not know Usain Bolt personally I find it very hard to relate what is written in the book to Usain Bolt. The book is actually written by a journalist from The Sun newspaper (apparently he is also responsible for a Rio Ferdinand biography), however according to the inside cover "Usain Bolt morally owns what is written in the book" - or something to this effect. I have no idea what this means. The book is written in the first person - so it's all " I did this.." and "I grew up here.." and "I like this..." etc etc. but I really do question how much of the information that is in this book actually came from the mouth of Usain Bolt and how much was 'ad lib' by The Sun journalist.

The reason why I have such problems with this book is because it is written in very 'high class, British English'. I follow Usain Bolt a lot and I know that he doesn't talk and wouldn't use the words or phrases that are used in this book - he is very down to earth and likes to keep it real. In fact I don't think the average British person talks or uses the phrases that are in this book. And this is why I have had such problems reading the book - it just doesn't 'keep it real', I just do not believe that it is reflective of Usain Bolt.

I may not even finish reading the book because the more I read it, the less I like Usain Bolt - and this is not because of the information in the book or anything to do with Usain Bolt but purely because of the way it has been written. I don't believe it does the man justice at all. I'm actually suprised that Usain allowed this book to be published because it does not keep it real at all - and that's the reason why we love him! You can't argue with the facts but I do question how true all the 'conversational' information contained in this book is - I reckon it's been 'beefed' up by the writer. I would therefore recommend that if you read this book - take anything that isn't fact with a pinch of salt. And keep in mind that a journalist wrote this book - we all know how they like to sensationalise stories and add their own thoughts and opinions (esp. the red top tabloids).

I'm Jamaican, in fact I grew up very close to where Usain Bolt grew up - the writing of the book is so so so removed from what Usain Bolt represents. This book simply gives you an idea of a British man's perpective of a Jamaican sprinter rather than real insight into who Usain Bolt is.

The only good thing about this book are the photographs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2010 1:31 PM GMT

How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks For Big Success In Relationships
How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks For Big Success In Relationships
by Leil Lowndes

4.0 out of 5 stars This book has helped me no end, 1 April 2010
I have many, many self-help books on my book shelf. Many of which I haven't finished reading despite having them for years. Leil Lowndes 'How to talk to anyone...' is the most useful, in fact, the best self-help book I have ever purchased. I have finished reading it - yay! And I will now go back and re-read putting into practice many of the tips she has suggested - yay!. In fact over the past week I have put into practice some of the tips and I feel that people have already responded to me differently and I feel more confident.

This book is better than others because a) it is easy to read (the chapters are short, and straight to the point) b) the tips are very, very practical and easy to put into practice you can do most of them almost immediately, and c) it is not boring and written like a school textbook like many other help books.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve their communication skills instantly. The only negative comment I have is that there are many references to Leil's 'high society friends' - the average person doesn't associate with the CEO of multi-national companies or have friends that are work for famous actors - so there is a lot of indirect name-dropping which I couldn't relate to but despite this I did think of situations where I could use her advice even though I'm not 'high society'.

Good Hair: For Colored Girls Who'Ve Considered Weaves When the Chemicals Became Too Ruff
by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really about going natural...seems to advocate some form of chemical processing, 3 Feb. 2010
This book reads quite well, has a good flow and you get a good impression of the author's sense of humour; however, if you're really serious about learning about virgin afro hair I don't think you will find it that useful. It's an easy read and for that reason I would recommend it as an introduction, - an introduction to reducing (note that I didn't say 'stopping') chemical processing as opposed to an introduction about going natural.

It's a short book, took me a few hours to read from front to back; obviously I now have to go back and really digest it however I'm not sure how much the book is based on fact. I would rather say it's a summary of the author's own journey and what she's found good for her (which seems to be texturising) so it's very subjective. The book has several typos and is quite contradictory at times in terms of it's advice. There is some advice on how to maintain 'natural' hair but because the book is so short the advice is not as complete as it could be. It really just does touch on the subject.

I was also a bit confused about the purpose of the book. Throughout the book she mentions that chemical processing is dangerous and then towards the end of the book I get the impression that she advocates texturising your hair, in fact I think she actually goes as far as recommending it. I'm really not sure what her message is. It wasn't quite what I was looking for but it was an ok start and all in all it was quite interesting hearing her story.

Page: 1 | 2