Profile for A. C. Yelmo > Reviews

Content by A. C. Yelmo

A. C. Yelmo (Spain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
iZKA®Basics - HDMI to MICRO HDMI 1.8M Cable - 24K Gold Connectors - ideal For Connecting HD Devices using the new Micro HDMI connector To Camcorder, Tablets, Mobile Phones to PC or HD TV 1080p Full HD - Type D to Type A - 1.4V Supports Ethernet / 3D / Audio Return (Life Time Warranty)
Offered by MedievalMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars just works, 25 Oct 2013
I got this after a bad experience with another cable that was longer and cheaper. This one had the right length to not have attenuation problems and still well priced. As for features, a cable does nothing more than to transmit a signal, this one does it right.

Games For Laptop: Neverwinter Nights with Expansion Packs 1 And 2 (PC)
Games For Laptop: Neverwinter Nights with Expansion Packs 1 And 2 (PC)
Offered by John Seth Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars NWN with the two expansions in a cheap mini-dvd, 3 Mar 2013
What else can you wish for? It's a really nice game and it's cheap. Stop reading the review and start playing it.

Ionic GUARDIAN Armor Case for LG Google Nexus 4 (Blue)
Ionic GUARDIAN Armor Case for LG Google Nexus 4 (Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough!, 3 Mar 2013
After purchasing a few cases before I finally got one that I really liked. It might be too bulky, but it looks like it could withstand a fair drop.

Pentax K-01 Compact System Camera with 40mm Pancake Lens - Black
Pentax K-01 Compact System Camera with 40mm Pancake Lens - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Award winning design? Really?, 3 Mar 2013
I think this camera is not the result of a careful study of the needs and most common procedures of photographers, but the result a trendy designer's bloated ego. It is the only way I can explain such a radical departure from what was established, only to make it worse.

Let's start with the most evident: the on-off switch. I found myself pushing it in the wrong direction over and over again, even thinking how silly I was for repeating the same mistake so many times. But then I realised that my good old Pentax K10D (and nearly all the cameras in the world, as you can easily check googling images for "on-off dial") had the controls inverted. Great. What was the reason for changing that, if any?

Without going any further yet, I find that switch too big, too accessible. And switching on and off the camera is not a task to optimise, as it's the task performed less often. In fact, a good design should focus on prevent turning the camera on accidentally and thus depleting the battery while the camera is being carried.

Guess what's close to that big switch and yet is much more difficult to reach in comparison? Yes, the shutter button! That IS the single most important used button in a camera. And it's tiny, and in a 90 degrees position of the grip. With which finger I am supposed to activate it? Definitively not my index finger, as it's normal position is parallel to the rest of the hand, and thus the grip too. I found that sometimes it was easier to use the thumb to press the shutter button. [Space reserved for your favourite blasphemy].

Let's continue with the aforementioned grip. I bet it must be great for Playmobil figurines, but unluckily my hands are not that square. After half an hour taking pictures those hard, edgy corners were already more than just uncomfortable and started to hurt.

Then there's the "green button". I won't discuss all it's functionality here, but let's just say that it is very useful when using Pentax-M lenses to perform a "stop down metering". You end up pressing that button almost as many times as the shutter... And it's very far away from it! It would be awesome if you could bind that function to the much handier "red button", but you cannot.

I think the rubber cover that protects the SD card has already been criticised enough, but I find the extra flap you have to open quite annoying too.

About the rest of the controls I don't have much more complaints. Maybe it lacks some physical buttons that I was already used to (like the shake reduction or bracketing). But it is not a flagship model; so it's understandable that it has a simpler interface.

The innards are good though, as one can expect from a camera that shares many parts with the wonderful Pentax K5. The low light sensitivity is great, the shake reduction works nicely, the focus peaking is a feature only found in this and the K-30 (one of the main reasons for my purchase, as I have a bunch of manual focus lenses). The maximum shutter speed is just 1/4000s (same as the K10D), a little bit disappointing considering that the most recent Pentax DSLRs already do 1/6000 and 1/8000.

So to summarise: if I ever find myself facing Marc Newson while holding the K-01, I'm going to use it to bash him in the head.

If somebody at Pentax reads me: please keep making beautiful cameras like the K5-II and the MX-1. Be proud of your heritage and honour it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2013 2:26 AM BST

Blair's Jalapeno Tequila Death Sauce
Blair's Jalapeno Tequila Death Sauce
Offered by Hot-Headz!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of flavour and doesn't kill you, 12 Feb 2013
I felt kind of crazy and I ordered 6 different hot sauces; so far this is the most enjoyable one, and I feel like I might finish the bottle before the expiry date :)

Diatom Powder 2 kg in resealable plastic tub
Diatom Powder 2 kg in resealable plastic tub
Offered by The Barns Poultry Centre

5.0 out of 5 stars Bed bugs be gone!, 24 Jan 2013
It really worked. And I have enough of this magic powder for my whole life, if I ever come to encounter these nasty little blood suckers.

Energizer FLNP50 Digital Camera Battery Equivalent to Fuji NP-50, Pentax D-Li68, Kodak KLIC-7004 Battery

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not last like the original, 24 Jan 2013
I was expecting more from an "Energizer" branded battery, given that their AA's are quite good.

At least they are truthful advertising that the nominal capacity is 750mAh, which is exactly 3/4 of Fujifilm's original one, giving about the expected 3/4 amount of shots.

Fracture (Xbox 360)
Fracture (Xbox 360)
Offered by DVDGAMING DIRECT

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable underdog, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Fracture (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This game had very poor critics, and although after playing the tutorial I feared that it was going to be very repetitive, I actually found it very entertaining until the end.

The graphics are very good, almost on par with the Gears of War saga, and the terrain deformation puzzles you have to face in order to progress are quite varied.

The diversity of weapons is more than enough, giving you a change to engage enemies in different ways at different stages of the game. The only ones that are really similar are the "bulldog" (the Atlantic Alliance standard issue assault riffle) and the "pacific machine gun" (that is what vanilla enemies drop, so you end up replacing the former one with this most of the time).

There are some tough bosses too, although the final showdown could be more epic.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (PSP)
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (PSP)
Offered by GeeksWholesaler

4.0 out of 5 stars Another take on survival horror, 24 Jan 2013
I never thought that a game with no guns and no combat could be so intense... In this game all you can do when entering in "the nightmare" is to run for your life until you find an exit, what is quite distressing because even if you have a map, every second you spend looking at it is a second for the creatures to get closer.

The meta-story with the psychiatrist is also engaging and the ending... Well, you have to see it by yourself.

Oh, it's not very colorblind friendly, I had some problems with one of the puzzles.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (Xbox 360)
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't play more than 5 minutes, 24 Jan 2013
Don't be fooled by the beautiful graphics: the feeling while playing is really lame.

Was it that difficult to add two things that have been there since the days of Doom 1? (to show the freaking weapon you are holding and a little bouncing while walking/running).

That "moving over rails" feeling looked like going back to Wolfenstein 3D.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3