Profile for winterkori > Reviews

Content by winterkori

winterkori "Kori" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Origami Paper 200 sheet Pantone gift set - Complete Colour Collection
Origami Paper 200 sheet Pantone gift set - Complete Colour Collection
Offered by Folded Square Origami

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we were after, 24 Dec. 2010
We already have origami design books from when I was a child but needed a fresh supply of the correct paper for my 7-yr old son to be able use the books. This colourful variety of decently-priced papers is just what we needed, and very nicely packaged to boot.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars just right, 1 Nov. 2010
I was looking for something with a natural shape but with a bit of silver, and these fit the bill well. They look great in real life and hang nicely on sturdy, sterling silver hooks. There is a little "window" in the silver mount through which the light can shine to show off the amber better. I'm pleased I bought these.

Wool Shampoo Imse Vimse (250ml)
Wool Shampoo Imse Vimse (250ml)
Offered by Baa Baby

5.0 out of 5 stars back for more, 1 Nov. 2010
I first bought this to wash real nappy wraps and a sheepskin for our first baby. Seven years later, I have finally finished the bottle after using it with everything woolen I have needed to put in the washing machine -- sheepskin foot warmer for pushchair, jumpers, trousers, a jacket, socks, and even a teddy made of wool. This "shampoo" has done a fine job and it's used just like normal laundry liquid. Now that bottle is gone, I'm here to buy another. It will probably take me another several years to get through this one, but I love having it to hand whenever I need to wash something made of wool -- including those woolen items that say "Dry clean only".

Hi- Ho ! Cherry -O  Counting Game
Hi- Ho ! Cherry -O Counting Game

5.0 out of 5 stars another generation loves Hi Ho Cherry-O !, 23 Jan. 2010
This was my favourite game as a child. I played it over and over-- with parents, friends, and sometimes alone. When I saw that it's been 'reissued', and for such a reasonable price, I had to order one for my own kids.

My sons (aged 4 & 6) now also love this game-- and want to play it over and over. I was afraid all the little cherries would end up all over the place but we had a little talk about not losing the pieces before playing and we've managed to hold on to them in the many times we've played already.

Having then realized that this generation of kids enjoys the game as much as we did decades ago, I bought another one as a Christmas gift for a friend's daughter (age 3). She also adores it and wants to play it over and over!

Best bits:

* The game is simple to understand as well aesthetically pleasing, and a wide age range of people can play together.

* Kids build familiarity with number bonds of ten without even thinking about it.

* It reinforces the whole taking turns thing, and there are small pitfalls which help teach that sometimes losing what you had isn't the end of the world!

* Little fingers are practicing their fine motor skills: gripping cherry stems to lift them in & out of the bucket is good practice for holding a pencil later. Also, little ones can't "flick" their fingers easily so the spinner has a little nub which sticks up to make this easier while still practicing that finger coordination.

Downside:

* I like the funky aluminum box but as a whole this version's not as sturdy (nor as big) as the heavy cardboard one I had in the 1970s. Apparently I'm now qualified to say, "They just don't make things like they used to!"

* Despite the fact that easy storage would presumably be the point of having a special tin, you'd have to actually lift the fitted game board out to store the 4 tree-shaped cards underneath. This is possible but the insert doesn't seem robust enough to stand up to years of being pulled out & pushed in, so we've decided to just keep the cards on top of the raised game board & put a rubber band around the tin to help the lid stay on! The cherries can hibernate safely in their 'buckets' when not in use, though.

Over all, I definitely recommend this game for any family with young children.

Richard Scarry's a Day at the Airport (Random House Picturebacks)
Richard Scarry's a Day at the Airport (Random House Picturebacks)
by Richard Scarry

5.0 out of 5 stars another generation loves Richard Scarry, 23 Jan. 2010
I loved the Richard Scarry books I had growing up (born early 70s in USA) and was excited to find this for my son. I bought it for my 4-yr-old, who loves it, but my 6-yr-old enjoys it, too.

We like reading the stories together but when the kids have time on their own to look at the pictures they spend several minutes poring over each page as there's so much to see and so many details to notice. As they get older they'll be able to read the labels all over the pictures, too, which will effortlessly increase their vocabulary-- always a good thing, in my view!

Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher
Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher
Offered by Colanders FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars not perfect; better than poaching pans, 23 Jan. 2010
I've had one of these for about a year now. I got fed up with digging poached eggs out of various types of poaching pans, scraping 'non-stick' surfaces clean-- and sometimes clean off!-- thereby increasing the risk of getting Teflon (polytetrafluoroethylene) into our food. It's also nice having something much smaller to fit into my crowded cupboard!

The first few times I used this, I submerged it in the water and the eggs did, indeed, flow over the top to make bizarre free-form shapes. Now I keep the water level just below the rim of the poaching cups and they're fine. I also use a lid, which keeps the heat in so the top of the eggs are nicely cooked.

I find that the butter stays put a little better if I add a fleck to each cup just before the water boils. I drop the raw eggs in gently and just scoop them out with a spoon when done. If you want something that doesn't leave a trace of egg in the cup, maybe silicon is better, but I don't know because I tend to avoid anything plastic-like when it comes to cooking. All I know is that the eggs come out whole and in lovely oval shapes that fit well side-by-side on toast!

I've actually come back to buy another of these double-egg poachers (though since they're so simple a device I didn't expect them to cost more than a few quid!) so that I can do more than 2 eggs at a time. It's not an especially beautiful implement but the eggs come out well. I use a vegetable brush to quickly unclog the holes after poaching, then pop it in the dishwasher. No pieces to reassemble or try to keep together in cupboard-- another plus.

Sunshine Buddies - Dancing Cha Cha Buddie (Blue)
Sunshine Buddies - Dancing Cha Cha Buddie (Blue)

4.0 out of 5 stars a sweet doodad, 1 Nov. 2009
Hubby bought this ages ago & still likes the aesthetic of it... so it sits in the window doing its thing day after day, year after year. The blue figure sways gently in low light & more quickly as the sunshine gets brighter. It works well and has lasted well through the arrival of two curious sons ober the past 6 years. Of course it doesn't do anything hugely exciting and has to be dusted occasionally. However, it's a sweet & gently cheering doodad to lay eyes on now and again.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars just like Alice, 5 Sept. 2008
These are my favourites. I've had them for about a year and wear them as often as I can. They look better with something shorter than full-length trousers, so I don't get to wear them much in the colder months. They're incredibly comfortable as well as quite flattering! I didn't know until just now when I saw the name on here that they're called "Alice" shoes, but I've always replied to the many compliments I've received on them that they make me feel like Alice in Wonderland, as my feet look just like hers in the old illustrations of Through the Looking Glass! I'm considering buying multiple pairs...

Elephant Buttons
Elephant Buttons
by Noriko Ueno

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 23 April 2008
This review is from: Elephant Buttons (Hardcover)
I have been fascinated with this book all my life. My parents made up various stories to go with the pictures, and I often looked at it by myself. Now I show it to my own children (ages 6 & 4), who also are keen to invent reasons for why each animal comes out of the previous one, or how they got in there in the first place! Gentle but enlivening b/w illustrations with wondering eyes and expressions open to interpretation give this book the ability to tell a different story each time you open it.

Numberjacks - Calling All Agents! [DVD]
Numberjacks - Calling All Agents! [DVD]
Dvd ~ Numberjacks

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent program, 16 Mar. 2008
My boys, aged 2.5 and 4.5, both love the Numberjacks. As the first review says, it does keep the younger one wholesomely entertained while the elder brother starts to notice things like "there are 3 threes in nine!" And yes, it keeps them both out of my hair while cooking their supper! It's clever and unique as well as educational and imaginative.

Page: 1 | 2