Profile for L. mckay > Reviews

Content by L. mckay

L. mckay "brookes_bargain_books" (scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Thomas & Friends My First Twisting Tower Tracks
Thomas & Friends My First Twisting Tower Tracks
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars ... he is a daddy and getting to share his love with his little son, 25 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My grown up son was a huge Thomas fan - now he is a daddy and getting to share his love with his little son!

There is a little simple construction - about 10 minutes. There is a strong one click system - the tower is stable and ready for hours of fun. I did order this for my grandson but think his daddy is having as much fun if not slightly more!

Colourful, exciting twists and turns with Thomas what more can our little train provide!

Highly recommended as a gift.

Melissa & Doug Bug Tunnel
Melissa & Doug Bug Tunnel
Price: 22.79

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a great fan of Melissa and Doug products, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Bug Tunnel (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a great fan of Melissa and Doug products.

I think they design products which are durable but more importantly stimulate children's development - gross and fine motor skills and create a spirit of adventure and exploration.

This "big tunnel" is colourful and suitable for inside and outside play.

I had my 5 year old nephew and 2 of his friends occupied for hours this week with this tunnel and the tortoise tent (also from melissa and doug).I think younger children and supervised crawling babies would find this product great fun.

Another major plus for parents this tunnel folds up and fits back in to it's storage bag without a struggle making it easy to store too,

This tunnel is part of a coordinated range too.

Bright Starts Springin Safari Bounce A Round
Bright Starts Springin Safari Bounce A Round
Price: 73.17

3.0 out of 5 stars We tried this with a 6 month old baby - who enjoyed his time in it - however he did not ..., 23 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Be prepared to break a sweat building this - there are so many "bits" it took us about 45 minutes to build. Oh and we made a mistake well we thought we had - the large flower kind of sits on top of the baby's head - I would find this irritating and I am sure baby might be frustrated by this - having checked the picture again though I think we actually have put the flower in correctly so maybe a design fault.

We tried this with a 6 month old baby - who enjoyed his time in it - however he did not bounce at all - the baby needs to place quite a bit of pressure on the foot plate to bounce on it.

The item is colourful and quite a few activities to entertain baby - tactile, sounds, textures and visual - so great for baby's development,

The legs can be removed to make the product less bulky for storing.

The height can be adjusted to suit the height of the baby.

My nephew had a jumperoo and having compared this product - i think I would recommend the jumperoo.

Melissa & Doug Turtle Tent
Melissa & Doug Turtle Tent
Price: 30.88

4.0 out of 5 stars ... in to a 5 year old and I am pleased I did - a full day of this wonderful ..., 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Turtle Tent (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I intended on waiting to our next camping trip to try this product out but no - i gave in to a 5 year old and I am pleased I did - a full day of this wonderful tent being used by a as a submarine, a space rocket and an explorers base. Outdoor play is so necessary for a child's development and this tent certainly facilitates imaginative play.

I managed to put this tent up in just a few minutes single handed and was impressed by the quality of the poles and fabric.

Another plus is that once disassembled the tent it is compact and is easily stored.

We are off on a camping trip next week and this will be coming with us for our 5 year old and his new friends to play with.

Only reason I gave 4 stars is the price - quite expensive i think there are cheaper products available - however in defense of this tent - I think it will be durable and it will last well - it is weather resistant and is made of quality materials.

Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble
Philips YS527/17 Click and Style 2-in-1 Shave and Stubble
Price: 65.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Designer stubble - easy with this product, 23 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This shaver / stubble trimmer is promoted as being for younger men - I gave this to a 20 year old who is loving the product.

Having read other reviews the main problem other folks have identified is the shaver is not as good as others - I would suggest that this is due to the shaver only having 2 heads and perhaps being used on heavily stubbled older guys. My nephew does mainly use for trimming stubble and he rates the product highly (and he is a "hard to please" type of guy - who takes great care of his appearance and if the product did not do the job it would be finito!).

The shaver can be used with gel or dry and can be used in the shower - a great time saver in morning.

Philips SC2006/11 Lumea Precision Plus IPL Hair Removal System for Face and Body
Price: 350.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A SCEPTIC BUT NOW A CONVERT, 19 Aug 2014
This works!

I decided to test this product - but only on one leg and one underarm!

There was a dramatic difference after the first use - you need to leave 2 weeks between uses - and after the second there was very little re-growth.

There is a guide to intensity of light required depending on your skin and hair colour.

I am fair and not too hairy and found no issue with burning or any unpleasant sensations during and after use.

I had a bit of trouble getting started - I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong - after a quick read of the instructions again it was simple - you need to keep all edges of the light on your skin - there are pressure monitors and the light will only activate if these are being depressed by the skin.This is to protect your eyes - I also bought eye protection googles (only a couple of pounds on amazon) as extra protection.

The instructions are straight forward.

This product is expensive - however it works and leads to long lasting results.

Durex Thin Feel Condoms - Pack of 24
Durex Thin Feel Condoms - Pack of 24
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars thinner feel for greater sensitivity, 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Durex have done everything they can to make their use acceptable:

they are safe and strong - it takes a lot to burst these condoms.

They are made to feel thinner than most of the condoms on the market - giving greater sensitivity a factor which makes them more acceptable.

They have made them smell less "rubbery" than other brands on the market (well apart from flavoured ones which are strongly scented).

they are priced at a comparable price to other brands.

Ambi Toys Dazzle Ball
Ambi Toys Dazzle Ball
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars great for encouraging fine and gross motor development, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Ambi Toys Dazzle Ball (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
colourful, great for encouraging fine and gross motor development.

The ball is a version of a stacking toy - with each layer comprising another activity / toy.

The recommend age is 18 months but I would use with younger children as I can't see any choke hazards with this toy.

Ambi Toys Humpty Dumpty
Ambi Toys Humpty Dumpty
Price: 10.04

5.0 out of 5 stars It holds his attention for ages - during tummy time he can grab and hold on to it easily - it rolls away when pushed then rolls, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Ambi Toys Humpty Dumpty (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My 6 month old grandson loves this toy. It holds his attention for ages - during tummy time he can grab and hold on to it easily - it rolls away when pushed then rolls back - this will be great when he starts crawling. We don't use when baby plays on his back as toy is quite heavy and would hurt if dropped back on to him.

The colours are bright and capture baby's attention. The little guy in the middle always remains upright and greets baby with his cheery smile.

This toy will encourage gross and fine motor development.

I have a couple of Ambi toys and have to say I am very impressed with this range. Highly recommended.

The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
by Tom Hunt
Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars A great cook book which helps reduce food waste and create tasty meals!, 31 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not normally a great fan of cook books - but loving this one!

I do try to buy seasonal fruit and vegetables but sometimes (well quite a lot of the time) lack inspiration on what to do with them, I am now tempted to sign up for a weekly veg box from our local organic supplier as I believe this book will help me to create delicious dishes and cut down on waste and food miles.

The book is set out in 4 sections - the seasons and details 26 "hero" ingredients.

The 26 "hero" ingredients are discussed in great detail - with lots of suggestions on what to do with them.For example: rhubarb, something I only think of in puddings - there are 6 recipes from Rhubarb and Pork Tagine (sounds amazing!) to Rhubarb and Custard Portuguese Tarts!

I have cooked a few of the recipes now and have found them easy to follow mainly using "normal" ingredients - no rushing around the shops trying to locate special ingredients.

The pages are wipe clean - essential in my kitchen.

Beautifully illustrated.

I get the sense that the author: Tom Hunt is a passionate cook who writes because he wants to share his passion rather than for profit.

highly recommended book.