Profile for J. Pfiefer > Reviews

Content by J. Pfiefer

J. Pfiefer "bukluver" (IA, USA)

Life on Mars : Complete BBC Series 2 [2007] [DVD]
Life on Mars : Complete BBC Series 2 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Simm
Offered by joe4books

5.0 out of 5 stars UNIQUE !, 11 May 2010
I actually saw the American version first when it aired on ABC. I found the series highly entertaining. However, the ending was quite disappointing.

That being said, the UK version ROCKS! I added to my Netflix que and that as they say is history! Since I was seeing it on DVD, I got to see the episodes in a short time frame and yet I found myself waiting at the mailbox for the next disc. This series is full of little details and lots of color. I was very young in the early seventies, yet the music still brought back memories.

The ending is so moving and emotional. Its American counterpart was just the opposite. This is definately TV worth watching!

Takin' Over The Asylum [1994] [DVD]
Takin' Over The Asylum [1994] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ken Stott

5.0 out of 5 stars Envokes the range of human emotions..., 25 May 2009
To be honest I purchased this series of dvds due to the fact that David Tennant had a leading role. Being from the other side of the pond, I did not really know of his existence until the new Who. After seeing Tennant as the 10th reincarnation of the Doctor, I began seeking out other works he had done.

In order to view many Tennant works, I had to convert my dvd player to a multi-region player. It was worth the effort!

Takin' Over the Asylum invokes a wide range of emotions. You feel sadness due to the fact that in a metal institution people often view their situation as hopeless. Also, anger is present when it is our own society that stigmatizes people so that once labeled "loony", they can never be allowed to return to our "sane" society. Of course, there is joy when an individual actually succeeds and realizes his or her own potential.

I thoroughly enjoyed this series and was glad I made the effort to obtain it and view it. Takin' Over The Asylum definitely should be produced multi-region so more people can enjoy it! A true classic from the U.K. !!

Whiteout
Whiteout
by Ken Follett
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars A good plot that sounds even better..., 22 May 2009
This review is from: Whiteout (Audio CD)
I purchased this audio CD to listen to that awesome David Tennant voice. I wish he would say murder over and over again! I was pleasantly suprised by the story. I love a well written mystery, action plot. Follett definately held my interest. And just a side note, I live in the Northern U.S. and the winter weather conditions sound similar in Scotland.

A few times I lost track of how far I had driven down the road. Maybe Tennant's voice can be dangerous while driving! I would definately like to hear David Tennant read another Ken Follett book, however, this time it should be unabridged!!

Jean in Iowa