Profile for Meraid Griffin > Reviews

Memories of My Melancholy Whores
Memories of My Melancholy Whores
by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

5.0 out of 5 stars Hypnotising and disturbing, 22 Jun 2013
I liked the title - provocative and edgy. I read the teaser and was intrigued. A 90 year old man who wants a young virgin for his birthday. I had mixed thoughts when I read she was only 14 and underage even in Columbia, but this is a story of fiction. It's a sad tale of a man who never gave himself the opportunity to love, only to indulge himself in brief sexual gratification found in brothels.
When he wanted sex, he paid for it. He spent his days writing a newspaper column and paid for sex when he wanted it. Love fluttered into his life when he was younger, but he swatted it away like an annoying mosquito. As his 90th birthday approaches, he realises he has missed out on emotional love and in a desperate last bid, sets out to find it in the only place he knows - the bordello. I felt sorry for him and wanted him to find love.
Beautifully written discovery of love in the latter years.

Cloner
Cloner
by Emma Lorant
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful what you wish for, 22 Jun 2013
This review is from: Cloner (Paperback)
A woman wishes upon a 4 leaf clover for twins and gets exactly what she asks for. Except, she gets a lot more...
It's a story about clones as you would expect, but not a tale set far off in the future as the cover might suggest. The scary thing is, this woman's nightmare could happen to you - NOW. It could already be happening!
I was held by the storyline from beginning to end, though it took me a while to get into the Somerset dialect that was used. Once I got the hang of it, I was grand. The dialect helped me feel that I was deep in the rural West Country and added authenticity to the characters.

Little Girl Lost
Little Girl Lost
Price: 0.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic plots and schemes that grip, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Little Girl Lost (Kindle Edition)
Set in Derry, the Protagonist Lucy Black is a copwoman investigating a curious incident of a little lost girl. The story uncovers the unique culture and characters of Derry with a smattering of recent historic facts relating to the troubles. This helps you to get inside the mind of those who live there without being the main backdrop for the story. Cleverly told crime thriller, with short chapters, realistic plots and schemes that grip you to the very last page. I read the kindle version which was easy to read on my smartphone.
The formatting was good, the editing was good and as the first e-book I've read, I was converted.