Profile for Mis Jenner > Reviews

Vernon God Little
by DBC Pierre
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars like being tickled with a cheese grater, 28 Aug 2005
This review is from: Vernon God Little (Paperback)
God knows I tried my best to learn the ways of this world, even had inklings we could be glorious...
...but Vernon Little's small-town dreams are literally shot to pieces when his confused best friend massacres the teenagers who cruelly persecuted him, before turning the gun on himself and taking the truth with him. Vernon has an alibi, but it's just not good enough for a nation desensitized by the drama of CNN, and begins to realise that the American public need a bit of relish with their truth to stop it sticking in their throats. It ain't what you say, it's whether it comes with flashing neon and a free gift.
DBC Pierre's biting satire is of Big Mac proportions, spanning such diverse issues as justice, the ever-increasing power of the media, and the sordid secrets of humanity that so-called Western civilisation cannot bury, with an irreverence that belies the sharp insights. Pierre sculpted the ideal character for us to follow through these troubled times; Vernon Little may not be the cleverest person around, but he stumbles on 'learnings' that come closer to the truth about what makes us humans behave in the loving, violent way we do, than anything you can find in a textbook. Vernon is a character we as young adults can all identify with; he still carries an almost naive belief that people are essentially good, but cannot quite reconcile that belief with the events happening around him.
The rest of the cast in this 'reality-documentary' are surreal. Believe they are caricatures if you want, but I can see these people around us every day. Vernon's mother is a clingy, disillusioned woman, sliding hysterically into middle-age without having achieved anything in her life. She tries to make up for this by boasting to her friends about her new fridge while hiding the mounting electricity bills, and dieting between trips to Bar-B-Chew Barn. Eulalio Ledesma is the sleazy reporter who worms his way into the family only to wrench it apart with his 'exclusives', but has a hidden past of his own. Then there's the creepy psychiatrist with steel salad tongs, the divine Taylor Figueroa and others from the slightly warped imagination of DBC Pierre.
The author, it seems, can dig up both the crass and the charming within people, and is not afraid to plunge in and find it, then come back and tell it to us straight. The book is fantastically well-constructed, with plot twists that will knock you over then jump up and down on you. The story never takes back seat to any message that Pierre is trying to send us, which means you can read it on many levels. Much of what he finds will shatter your faith in humanity, but hold on - it emerges triumphant! We track Vernon as he moves from being a boy that things happen to, a victim of his own circumstances, through being a criminal on the run, and finally as he becomes Vernon God Little, who knows the secret of life...
All in all, this is an astounding first novel, and fully deserved to win the Man BOOKER Prize, the Whitbread Best First Novel Award, and the Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Award for Comic Writing, all in 2003, despite it being a rather irregular choice. Take note all - this could be the handle of a mop..

The Toll Bridge (Red Fox young adult books)
The Toll Bridge (Red Fox young adult books)
by Aidan Chambers

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-shatteringly original, 6 April 2003
It make's me go cold every time I read it, and I've read it so many times. Not only that, but you can just open it at a page, and read. This is my favourite out of his books, and for good reason. It's day-to-day, but out of the ordinary, a real bundle of well-written tension, passion and thoughts that refuse to go away, and make an impression worth having. It gives another perspective to view from, and you can read it detachedly and review, or involve yourself wholly with it and enjoy wandering and wondering.

Dance On My Grave (Red Fox young adult books)
Dance On My Grave (Red Fox young adult books)
by Aidan Chambers

5.0 out of 5 stars Mentally exhausting!, 6 April 2003
Aidan Chambers makes you tie yourself into knots just thinking. He's not a shy writer; he'll plunge in, tackle anything. His writing falls under the 'so-life-like-it's-scary' category; some of the emotions could have come directly from your secret heart.
Dance on my Grave is about homosexual love, but also about so many other things that it is a slice of life, with all its many strands. It is also funny, in a way that The Toll Bridge, Postcards From No man's Land and Now I Know aren't. I got the giggles for ages in some parts, and still laugh out loud when I think of them; the fight!!!!
But the way he writes is out of this world. His books are going to stay with me all my life.

Exodus (Young Picador)
Exodus (Young Picador)
by Julie Bertagna

5.0 out of 5 stars New and exhilarating!, 29 Sep 2002
This review is from: Exodus (Young Picador) (Paperback)
A gripping and intense plot, with belivable and endearing characters, was my introduction to Julie Bertagna. I loved the quirky witing style that made it oh, so real, and the vivid description of The New World. Very, very well written!
But most of all, I like the way she plays upon our fear of the future. All her points are valid. Massive global warming creating huge waves that swamp all life is a not-to-far off possibility, unless we learn our lesson and start caring...
I'm definitely reading more!